Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 08:37:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Update 1.4 - Ships go through the quays  (Read 11860 times)

Apejens

• Forum member
Update 1.4 - Ships go through the quays
« on: August 27, 2011, 11:36:28 »

See attached pic. Problem been in the game since it was launched, I thought it'd be fixed this time.[/img]

Wave Music

• Forum member
Re: Update 1.4 - Ships go through the quays
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 11:58:18 »

Guess, you have overtried with docking...  Pride of Rotterdam is a quite powerful ship, so yeah.
keep it gnarly

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 12:13:31 »

Nice to know that instead of 'bouncy docks' we now have 'squishy docks'..  ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:42:51 by saltydog »

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 13:26:58 »

Every time when a new patch has been released, new bugs arise! Why does that happen? Should Vstep abandon the questviewer engine and take a game engine which is much better and much more efficient?

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 15:57:47 »

guys, guys, guys...

i think i see the problem here.

apejens, were you using auto-pilot?

i have found that using auto-pilot will make your ship sail right through stuff.

see the pic:

well i had the perfect pic to illustrate my point, but steam didint save it.
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 17:01:55 »

It is unlikely that anyone would attempt to use autopilot for docking
It is also unlikely that you would be able to engage the autopilot in that area.
The problem is that the collision mask is missing or displaced from that section of the environment. That is a very common problem that is understandable given the large amount of work involved in adding them.
These are corrected as they are discovered.

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 17:06:15 »

not to be negative but you guys know vstep fix six things break four more things
My PC specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM
Acer X213W ~ Cyberpower PC Gamer Ultra 2097 Desktop PC
Favorite games: Ship Simulators, MS Flight Sims, Railworks 3,

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 17:26:17 »

After such a positive comment, ....
The patch, downloaded from the site, contains the collision boxes for the Dover environment and for Pride of Rotterdam. I have tried the collisions between PoR and this specific berth, and everything is fine on my system, the ship doesn't enter in the quay.
So, it must be something else, and as Apejens' version is not Steam, the patch should be the good one, I think. Perhaps some more explanations about the malfunctioning, when and how, could help to find its origin.

Regards,
Luc

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 18:16:43 »

These are corrected as they are discovered.

Agreed on that one, with time. But why "these" slipped away from the beta testers, unless the beta testers are directly all the average Joe's on here who do a much better investigations?
keep it gnarly

JoMach

• Dutch Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 18:26:43 »

Hi All have tested this and I have no problems at all, it works fine. :2thumbs:
rgrds
jomach

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 18:48:02 »

Agreed on that one, with time. But why "these" slipped away from the beta testers, unless the beta testers are directly all the average Joe's on here who do a much better investigations?
"These" did NOT slip away as Wave Music says. The collisions which prevent this from happening ARE quite correct and have been tested by some folks who are quite decidedly NOT average Joes. The collision mask is actually not missing from that part of the environment. You will see all the red outlines in the attached picture which are the collisions. It is not possible for me to reproduce the effect shown by Apejens above. This is checked and tested in 1.4.0. build 1086. a few minutes ago. A few minutes later than the picture was taken PoR banged into the jetty (Without a bounce I might add) and definitely did NOT move into the jetty. ::) You will note the position of the thruster controls, carefully balanced to make her move bodily sideways.
OK, I know you average Joes can not see what I show, but then why would you need to?

Regards,
Angus.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 18:54:40 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 19:39:26 »

I was able to replicate Apejens’ screenshot—from a slightly different point of view—in V1.4.0 build 1086.
I did so in what I believe is the only possible way to do it.
Notice, in both pics, that PoR is pushed into the ramp structure as well as into the dock.
Notice, also, in Apejens’ screenshot the chart is hidden.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 21:00:26 by mvsmith »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 22:19:40 »

Yes Marty, I can do that too. !:) However that is not really possible IN GAME. In which case Apejens is just trying to be a smartypants, upsetting players into thinking the game is flawed. >:(

Angus.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 22:42:47 »

I doubt someone is trying to upset players, many of which are already upset by the undone game.
Not to upset Vstep & the close-related guys around here, when a little company runs a development of several games at one time, the overall quality is much below the launch prize of 50 Euros per disc.
keep it gnarly

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 23:10:39 »

I experianced this a few weeks ago so it was not just the 1.4 patch that caused this :-\

mvsmith

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 23:26:19 »

Yes, Angus, when someone makes a claim that there is a serious bug but provides no real information to substantiate the claim other than a screenshot that could have been made in nearly any version of SSE, one can hardly be expected to pay much attention.

For instance: How did he manage to maneuver PoR into that position? Or did he find it there in some mission? He did not even give the version & build number.
I think that this particular “bug report” can be ignored for lack of information.

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 00:22:22 »

It is like you say, Marty, but Apejens has previously made very valid, and gradually substantiated report.
There is a similar report in the French forum about ships entering their berth, and I was told that it happened in a mission, "ferry à Marseille". I am still looking for the mission. There is probably something about it, but it is apparently difficult for many -if not most- players to describe correctly what happened, perhaps because of the off topic trolls?

Regards,
Luc

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 00:35:47 »

okay, now what i said before about auto-pilot causing that bug was misinterpreted; i meant that apejens mightave used auto-pilot to go across the channel, because going across at regular speed takes FOREVER!!!

once i was trying out FF in antarctica with albatros, and when it said "insufficient depths" and took me out of full-screen chart, i was headed right for a huge iceberg. i tried turning, but it was too late; i sailed right through it!

and that was before the 1.4 update!
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

mvsmith

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 00:46:44 »

Yes, Luc, things are made more difficult by the need to wade through heaps of troll scat, but that is simply an involuntary reflex by the troll.
I’ve not yet found any evidence of a hole in the collision mask—in that area—in any 1.4 release. However, as Michael Faraday said: “Nothing is too wonderful to be true”. That is why we need every bit of information that one can provide when reporting a “bug”.

Regards,
Marty

mvsmith

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 00:59:35 »

Hi RB,

Yes, icebergs, or floes, employ the new permeability technology that, unfortunately, was not available in 1912.

However, that is independent of whether you arrived there via autopilot.
Autopilot, the method by which all AI ships move toward their targets, avoids any object that has a proper collision mask. Those objects that don’t are road-kill.

Regards,
Marty

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 01:15:42 »

Hello,
A report mentioned that Calais could no longer be accessed by Ocean Prince, and I wanted to check if there was an issue with the channel, relatively close to the South jetty.
To hasten the move, I used the autopilot before entering, left it and exactly like Rbsanford reported, the ship sailed through environment, colliders, everything. Luckily without any damage. A feature of the AP seems not to be undone after leaving. Beware the AP! (or not)
Regards,
Luc

mvsmith

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 03:06:44 »

Thanks, Luc, I never had that experience. I’ll look into it.
That’s strange because avoiding things is what it does when it’s engaged.

Regards,
Marty

mvsmith

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 04:21:38 »

My apologies to Rbsanford—you are not the confused one.

It is indeed true that, after autopilot has been disengaged, the ship will pass through just about everything.

I think that this is a recent development (no pun intended) because I’ve not noticed it before, nor has anyone else in 1.3.5, so far as I know.

Apejens

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 12:06:11 »

Yes Marty, I can do that too. !:) However that is not really possible IN GAME. In which case Apejens is just trying to be a smartypants, upsetting players into thinking the game is flawed. >:(

Angus.

How dare you? I demand an apology for making such rubbish accusations.
I am a Steam user, and it is indeed the 1.4 version I'm using - not sure about the build, though.
It is also untrue that I'm using autopilot in the harbours - it's impossible to do so,
nor would I never fool around like that and post complaints afterwards.
As a mariner, I'm using the game not only for training, but also for fun.
It is not my idea of fun to stir things up at the forum just for the hell of it.
I made a thread about this subject in order to get it fixed, and subsequently being able to get a more
satisfying game experience.

Did I prove my point, Angus and Marty?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:08:25 by Apejens »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 12:15:43 »

I apologise unreservedly Apejens. The details which were absent from your original post and those by others subsequently are now cleared up. The use of autopilot in the latest patch is the root of this particular problem. When auto pilot is used PRIOR to entering harbour and then disengaged this problem occurs. The reason for the confusion was the lack of information provided for us to work on. Something has occurred which was not present in 1.3.5. but is  in 1.4.0. I stress that this only happens AFTER the use of auto pilot in a mission or in free roaming. Note that PoR is travelling at 10.5 knots in the attached picture.
Regards,
Angus

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:18:09 by Traddles »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines