Hello Guest April 30, 2024, 20:33:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Apple II - Faster one way then the other  (Read 1701 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Big Apple II - Faster one way then the other
« on: August 10, 2011, 16:02:07 »

Hi Guys

I was playing Big Apple II on MP few days back when I noted something and I did a trial today to confirm it.

Running the BA2 in its designated "forward" direction, with both throttles on to give maximum speed, I reached a top speed of 19.5 knots

Now (in the test) I stopped the BA2, "swapped" bridge ends and stuck it into that forward (the other direction). however the maximum speed I got from that direction is only 14.3 knots...?

Now I could be mistaken, but I would have thought a symmetric double ended ferry such as the BA2 should have the same speed in either direction...? not a preference for one over the other?

TFM

Cat320DL

• Forum member
Re: Big Apple II - Faster one way then the other
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 18:10:03 »

Hi Guys

I was playing Big Apple II on MP few days back when I noted something and I did a trial today to confirm it.

Running the BA2 in its designated "forward" direction, with both throttles on to give maximum speed, I reached a top speed of 19.5 knots

Now (in the test) I stopped the BA2, "swapped" bridge ends and stuck it into that forward (the other direction). however the maximum speed I got from that direction is only 14.3 knots...?

Now I could be mistaken, but I would have thought a symmetric double ended ferry such as the BA2 should have the same speed in either direction...? not a preference for one over the other?

TFM
That is what I thought too.
I think it should go the same speed both way's.

Kyle
Thanks Stormforce for the awesome banner :) MV Princess Acadia in sig.

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 18:51:03 »

Hello TFM,

You are right, the speeds should indeed be the same, whatever the direction, 17.7 kts maximum with both engines, as it is in the version that I just checked.
Regards,
Luc

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 19:14:01 »

Hmm thought so

Will we get the 17 knot fix in the next patch then?

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 19:46:56 »

Yes, of course, every correction will be included.   ::)
 8)
Luc

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 20:09:40 »

Ahh good good :)

Thanks very much :)

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 20:15:08 »

I have noticed the same "error" with the other ferry you can drive in two directions(have forgotten the name of it).

And now we know why it will take so long time and why there is no info around next patch, it cause it will include  every correction.(Just kidding)

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 21:02:37 »

The ferries Rozenburg and Red Eagle both have a VSP at each end and a symmetric hull. They reach the same maximum speed whatever the bow. Do you have more details about the possible error?
Regards,
Luc

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 21:00:02 »

As every New Yorker knows, the Staten Island Ferry—AKA Big Apple—goes faster Southbound when people are anxious to get home than Northbound when nobody is in any hurry to get to work.

Seriously, the Hudson is a tidal estuary with strong tides that affect the SOG of the ferries. It depends upon the phase of the Moon whether that happens to produce the apparent effect described above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines