Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 23:09:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reinstalling Windows, what to do with Ship Sim save data?  (Read 1568 times)

Captain Kingsbury

• Forum member

My computer is beginning to bug me by being slow and crashing so I'm reinstalling Windows. I bought the disc which just downloaded ship sim on Steam, so I think I should just be able to redownload that when I sign into Steam after reinstalling. What I'm worried about is my saved data, I don't want to start from scratch on the ranks and awards. Is this also stored online with Steam or do I need to backup some files if so which ones?

Thank you very much for you help, all is greatly appreciated

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
Re: Reinstalling Windows, what to do with Ship Sim save data?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 01:03:18 »

Hello Captain Kingsbury,

I see you already registered your IP in your profile. Can I see your DxDiag, please?
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:37:31 »

What I'm worried about is my saved data, I don't want to start from scratch on the ranks and awards. Is this also stored online with Steam or do I need to backup some files if so which ones?

Hello Capt. K'bury,

I think it would be best if you made a complete backup of the SSE folder . It exists in the Vstep folder in Program files (I am not sure how it is with the Steam version as I have the DVD version). In all probability all your rankings are stored somewhere within this folder / sub folders.

I recently had to reinstall SSE and before uninstalling I made a full back of the entire SSE folder. I looked into it and there are some references to rankings. I have to experiment with these to figure if I can retrieve my rankings. One thing I am aware of is that during the process of uninstalling SSE, at a certain stage it does ask you if you wish to retain your stats (not per se but something like that) and it would be wise to say 'yes'. You then have to check again after uninstallation as to where these stats files / folders have been saved and make a back up of those. (Regretfully, I had not said 'yes' so I cannot give you a firm answer here).

I am not sure if this is the location but the references I am mentioning about MAY BE here:-

SSE --> Projects --> SSE --> Game --> Components --> Profile

Regards
vin_sun
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:12:33 »

To find the SSE folder in steam you go into

Program files -> Steam -> Steamapps -> Common -> Shipsim extremes

Captain Kingsbury

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 23:02:33 »

Hello Captain Kingsbury,

I see you already registered your IP in your profile. Can I see your DxDiag, please?

I'd be happy to do so, but I'm afraid I'm not actually sure what a DxDiag is, if you could explain to me then I will try to provide this for you.

Thanks goes to both who helped point me in the right direction for retaining my profile

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 05:36:53 »

I'd be happy to do so, but I'm afraid I'm not actually sure what a DxDiag is, if you could explain to me then I will try to provide this for you.

Thanks goes to both who helped point me in the right direction for retaining my profile

Do you run XP, Vista or 7?
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

Captain Kingsbury

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 16:01:05 »

Sorry I should have stated this to start with

I run Windows 7 64-bit Home Edition

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 16:08:06 »

The Windows 7 Home Premium is suitable for SSE.

The DXdiag gives fair information about the hardware of your computer.

Please read this post which guides you about posting the Dxdiag.

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,23335.0.html
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 16:10:20 by vin_sun »
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines