Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 09:59:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RNLI  (Read 10605 times)

WJames

• Forum member
RNLI
« on: September 18, 2007, 13:55:41 »

Hi There,

This is just a suggestion and i dont know what other peoples views will be. I have been playing with the Ship Sim update and there is one mission where you go our from the Solent and have to find a yatch, then find the crew etc, in a search and rescue style. Now obviously alot of people wont want this excellent sim to become a search and rescue sim, but has anyone considered an add on which maybe had RNLI boats in that had search and rescue missions. I think people would be willing to pay for this kind of add-on, i know i certainly would, and if it was priced accordingly a small donation from each sale could be given to the RNLI.

I realise there would be alot of work involved in doing this, but the basis already seems to be in place and it would give an extra dimension too.

Id be interested to hear your thoughts.

Kind Regards

James

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
Re: RNLI
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 14:09:49 »

Greetings,
I dont think that RNLI,allow vstep to use one of their ships,for the game.Unles Vstep gives a donation to the RNLI.
This organisation,works with donatations.
Also otherways they would have contacted vstep.
However,if there is someone to help with this (new)idea,please try it out.
Regards
Marc
N

WJames

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 14:28:40 »

I realise it might open the flood gates and suddenly every agency will what to be sponsered etc. I wondered if there is a way we could take this idea forward. My other question is can users create missions and then pass these to other users or are they machine dependant?

Cheers

James

Lifeboat

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 15:45:40 »

Greetings,
I dont think that RNLI,allow vstep to use one of their ships,for the game.Unles Vstep gives a donation to the RNLI.
This organisation,works with donatations.
Also otherways they would have contacted vstep.
However,if there is someone to help with this (new)idea,please try it out.
Regards
Marc
Hi,

I am currently working on this as we speak Marc. I am working hard to gain the RNLI's permission to use one of their vessels as a model that Vstep or the NVDG can use.

Feel free to PM or contact me via my website at http://www.lifeboats24-7.com
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 15:50:30 by Lifeboat »
Lifeboats24-7...Leading International Maritime Search & Rescue Resource.With Forum,Gallery & much more. http://www.lifeboats24-7.com

Lifeboat

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 15:52:31 »

Hi,

I am currently working on this as we speak Marc. I am working hard to gain the RNLI's permission to use one of their vessels as a model that Vstep or the NVDG can use.

Feel free to PM or contact me via my website at http://www.lifeboats24-7.com

Even without a donation to the RNLI (I was RNLI myself) this would/is a great PR exposure chance for the service & they should grasp it with both hands really, but as i say, i am working on this currently.

Vstep asked me a while back if i could help sort this for them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 15:55:58 by Lifeboat »
Lifeboats24-7...Leading International Maritime Search & Rescue Resource.With Forum,Gallery & much more. http://www.lifeboats24-7.com

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 15:53:57 »

I realise it might open the flood gates and suddenly every agency will what to be sponsered etc. I wondered if there is a way we could take this idea forward. My other question is can users create missions and then pass these to other users or are they machine dependant?

Cheers

James

James, yes you can upload missions to the forums for other users to try, you can also download missions which other users have created, there are quite a few good ones in the missions forum.

mark0326

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 17:16:49 »

Judging by the amount of people here that are fascinated by ships that sink I think a salvage vessel might be appropriate too!  ;D

Trip4x4

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 17:33:42 »

Judging by the amount of people here that are fascinated by ships that sink I think a salvage vessel might be appropriate too!  ;D

That'd be good  :P

I was also wondering about a ship transporter - You know, the giant ships that the mega-rich put their yachts on for transport to tropic locales?

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 17:57:05 »

Perhaps if this game along with search and recue helped demonstrate how people get into trouble in the first place, how dangerous it is for the rescuers and how to avoid trouble like this, then the RNLI may be a little keener, as it would help spread a message that they regularly try to spread.

WJames

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 18:52:37 »

I think all of these points are good! I think it could have alot of benifit as well as promoting the RNLI's work. I would have thought it would be worked well for VSTEP as they may be able to sell their products to people who didnt know about it!

As i said earlier there is alot of work involved, and people have obviously started thinkin along these lines, but is there anyway in which the supporters of this project can help move it along more smoothly?

Cheers

James

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 05:44:38 »

Greetings,
Yes,for the RNLI,this would be a very nice PR.Look what Vstep has made out of the "Arie Visser"resque boat.
Also this is a very nice PR,for the dutch resque service.
I realy hope that the RNLI,see it the same way.Than we can make some very good progres.
I wish you all the best and luck,with this project and i hope it can get somewhere.
REgards
Marc
N

mark0326

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 08:03:47 »

Once you sink a ship you should need to raise enough cash in the other missions before the sunken ship is available again to play with. Failing that, your sunken ship should be marked on your plot and present a shipping hazard - depending on it's depth of course. Sorry for slightly off topic.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 23:23:18 »

Perhaps an RNLI pack that the RNLI could sell in its museums, docks and through its website. It would be able to take the retailer percentage and make money that way.

I've raised a bit of cash for the RNLI when we were based at the coast and have found them to be quite easy to work with- although they are very strict about allowing their name/logo to be used commercially. If Vstep decided to make a lifeboat pack then I bet a deal could be done (maybe a rescue pack- one boat from the rescue services of a few countries?)

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

mvsmith

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 19:29:58 »

Stu, I think your idea for RNLI add-ons as a way to raise money for the organization is good. It would also provide greater benefits in good will and publicity. RNLI could write their own missions to explain what they did.
 On VSTEP’s part, in exchange for permission, they would need to make one or more environments around the isles.
There may be a good reason to make the environments in any case:
If RNLI remained truculent, they could be shamed into acquiescence by running rescue missions on their turf with KNRM boats. :)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 23:15:38 »

Thanks MVSmith. I think it could also be good for Vstep- I mean if RNLI (and they have quite a strong merchandising system) were to sell RNLI branded addons and the main SS08- due to their product placement it could bring ShipSim to people that otherwise would not know about it (I think someone already said this above).

As for environment- the Solent area must have several lifeboats from the Southampton part of the Solent, Poole, Portsmouth/Southsea and the Isle of Wight. This must represent most of the RNLI fleet types and with so many commercial and private vessels in the Solent there is even the basis for many missions...

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 23:58:42 »

As for environment- the Solent area must have several lifeboats from the Southampton part of the Solent, Poole, Portsmouth/Southsea and the Isle of Wight. This must represent most of the RNLI fleet types and with so many commercial and private vessels in the Solent there is even the basis for many missions...

Stu

The Solent area has the following RNLI lifeboat stations.....

Yarmouth - Severn all weather lifeboat (ALB).
Lymington - Atlantic 75 inshore lifeboat (ILB).
Calshot - Tyne all weather lifeboat (ALB) & D class ILB.
Portsmouth - Atlantic 75 & D class ILBs.
Bembridge - Trent ALB & D class ILB.
Hayling Island - Atlantic 75 & D class ILBs.
Selsey - Trent ALB & D class ILB.

Other non RNLI lifeboats in the area include

Hamble Rescue.
Gosport and Faheham Inshore Rescue (GAFIRS).
Cowes Resuce.
Solent Rescue.
Freshwater Lifeboat.
Ryde Rescue.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 00:04:00 by muns »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 12:20:46 »

You know your lifeboats!

I do thik its got good potential- for us players, for vstep commercially and for rnli for revenue earning.

But, alas, there are so many requests for the future...

Stu

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 14:44:00 »

As this has developed into discussion about copyright issues (and as there are other copyright discussions ongoing) I have moved those posts to

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,2857.0.html

Please continue to post about the RNLI idea and I'll see you at the copyright discussion ;)

Stu

SSILB - Ricky

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 22:50:45 »

The Solent area has the following RNLI lifeboat stations.....

Yarmouth - Severn all weather lifeboat (ALB).
Lymington - Atlantic 75 inshore lifeboat (ILB).
Calshot - Tyne all weather lifeboat (ALB) & D class ILB.
Portsmouth - Atlantic 75 & D class ILBs.
Bembridge - Trent ALB & D class ILB.
Hayling Island - Atlantic 75 & D class ILBs.
Selsey - Trent ALB & D class ILB.

Other non RNLI lifeboats in the area include

Hamble Rescue.
Gosport and Faheham Inshore Rescue (GAFIRS).
Cowes Resuce.
Solent Rescue.
Freshwater Lifeboat.
Ryde Rescue.

You missed another 'Independent Lifeboat service' from your List that is based in the Solent:

Sandown & Shanklin Independent Lifeboat, we are based in Sandown Bay, South East area of the Island ;)

We operate an ex-RNLI Atlantic 21 and have just launched our 'NEW'  8) Orange Atlantic 21 Inshore Lifeboat  :2thumbs:

Wish there were RNLI vessels pack add on, or Independents Add-on pack maybe????  ;)
2nd Coxswain of The Sandown & Shanklin Independent Lifeboat - An Orange ex-RNLI Atlantic 21.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 14:19:10 »

Wow, that has to be the oldest necro-thread-romancy I have seen on here yet!

Still a very interesting post, I never knew that there were independent lifeboats at all, so definitely worth reviving in this case.

If there is a need for a lifeboat in Sandown Bay, how come the RNLI don't have one there, or has there historically been an independent lifeboat there?

SSILB - Ricky

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 21:01:19 »

Hi Clanky,

There are 63 Independent Lifeboats in the UK alone, in the state of alone is so try, as everyone is under the same impression, Lifeboat = RNLI - It is also fair to look at the matterial that states -'The Lifeboat Charity, that saves lives at sea', it should really reasd 'A Lieboat Charity that saves lives at sea'

Lets clear things up, as Independent Lifeboats, we have no problems working along side the RNLI & neither do the RNLI crews, they are glad we are there to help cover the area's with them and as I a finer point, I work for the RNLI building the Inshore Lifeboats for the RNLI ;)

As for the needs of the Independent Lifeboats needing to be doing what we do, yes there is a need, as the RNLI can not cover every strech of water as some may think, this can be due to the RNLI bufget, or as some cases, the RNLI pull out of an area , which means closing down stations and extend their other boats, to cover the area needed, however, thats when a Independent Lifeboat is started by the local community, because they see a need for a Lifeboat to cover their area and most of the time the ex-RNLI crews start the Independent Lifeboat station rally, as they miss doing what they have always done until their station closed, 99% of the time, the community pull together and make the Independent station and run the station under their own charity number and have to meet regs from the local Coastguard to become SAR capable, this costs alot of money and is again around 95% of the local people & businesses alike whom help rasie the funds and help support them over the years to come, if lucky, the station / area is a holiday area and tourists help with donations also.

Other cases have seen Lifeboats appear due to the same reasons, apart from the RNLI closing of a station, there could be an RNLI station to the left flank, say 5 miles away, to the right flank could be another RNLI station that is 10 miles away, a death occures and the community get together again and get behind a Independent Lifeboat to be setup if the RNLI do not wish to place a Lifeboat in that area, due to the flanking Lifeboats, but life is so important, that the oastguard, again, as before, will review the area and investigate if there is a need for an Independent Lifeboat to be placed there, there are two results, yes go ahead and produce ground works and be assessed once planns are drawn for SAR capablity (which takes a very long time and a process that has to be meet by guidlines set by the Coasrguard), this then has to go to Government and be accepted that there is a need with the Coastguard findings and the list goes on, from start to finish you are looking at a years worth of planning and work to get a fully running station via good fundraising and good setting up of the charity etc.

Hope Cove Lifeboat is a perfect example of this happening - google search them ;)

As for Sandown & Shanklin Independent Lifeboat, there has been an Independent Lifeboat in Sandown Bay since 1884, this first vessel was called The Dove and was a ex-RNLI row boat, have more details, but do not have them with me from home, but the New Atlantic 21 above has been called The Dove II, after the very first Independnet Lifeboat in the Bay.

Is there a need, yes there is, we carry out 34 call outs (Shouts / taskings) from Solent Coastguard on average each year, we get all types of Shouts, all the very same as the RNLI would do, we are fully SAR capable and come under the control of Solent Coastguard.

The RNLI have never been in Sandown Bay, as long as we survie as an Independent Lifeboat, there never will be and concidering the time it has been in the Bay, who knows what the future may bring, but there has been lots of RNLI re-structure with Cowes Independent Lifeboat joining the RNLI and have now become Cowes RNLI, on our left Flank, about 8 Nm away is RNLI Bembridge (with their new Tamar), to the Right is Freshwater Independent Lifeboat some 15 Nms away, then RNLI Yarmouth (with their Seven), SSILB cover 72Nms of operational area at sea and upto 9 miles out at sea. 
If you look at the RNLI UK map, you will see no RNLI boats cover the South of the wight at all! No one ever has asked why, but now you know ;) There are other Lifeboats out there, alone, in their fundrasing efforts to keep their service going and meeting standards, following in the very same lines (Roots) as the RNLI once did.

Shout details are out on Facebook SSILB Fan Page, along with photo's & vids, search Sandown & Shanklin Inshore Lifeboat (Old station name, but cant change to the new name, as we have to many followers)

The offical website is under going a re-build and will be more up to date over the following months.

Type in Independent Lifeboats in google and be amazed :)

Hope that helped?
2nd Coxswain of The Sandown & Shanklin Independent Lifeboat - An Orange ex-RNLI Atlantic 21.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 17:15:43 »

I take my hat off to ANY lifeboat crew. Often putting themselves at risk to save others has to be a mark of the greatest nobility.

Ricky, it appears to me with my limited sailing knowledge that there are some pretty odd currents around the Sth of Wight. I noticed almost like a fast moving river once when I was on the bridge of the Bilbao- (it was a calm day so it wasn't wind).

When I went around IOW on a small fishing boat, the Skipper was struggling to make any headway against the tide- pretty alarming, but he said it was all very normal and that it gets worse the closer you are to shore. Yet it's a common enough area for small sailing boats. Anything unusual there???

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 14:34:08 »

Apologies Ricky, I read your post ages ago and thought that i had already replied, obviously I didn't -oops.

Thank you for a fascinating reply, and keep up the good work.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 15:55:06 »

I thought this might be of interest. The experimental lifeboat FCB 2 has been based at the Hoylake, Wirral lifeboat station for some weeks now. She is the first boat propelled by twin Hamilton water jets having a top speed of around 25/26 knots. Sadly the hull design is such that she does not handle well in any kind of sea and development has been extended by three years to enable further experimental design. Apparently she smashes so hard with the present hull that crew suffer injuries from being badly thrown about. The name FCB 2 stands for Fast Carriage Boat 2, and a special tractor unit has been designed to accompany her such that launching across the sand can be carried out much faster than at present and she is of very small draft such that she can sail in extremely shallow waters without damage. I attach a few photos of her whilst ashore at Hoylake. Note the very wide caterpillar tracks to enable transit over soft sand and mud. The drive system is the same as fitted to "Aquila" the Rotterdam pilot boat & "Arrie Visser" the KNRM lifeboat which are in Ship Simulator Extremes & SS 2008.
Regards,
Angus.
http://www.rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/press_centre/news_releases/news_release_detail?articleid=722274  
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 21:05:31 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines