Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 08:05:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albatross IV handling  (Read 23066 times)

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: Albatross IV handling
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2011, 02:04:21 »

Using the propellors to turn seems like a cumbersome way..How about using the rudder..?  ;)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2011, 10:24:27 »

I was about to do a 180 turn to berth sternwards into the invisible berth 5 (Which also lacks a collision model) so I needed to turn and slow down, I do the same method with the White Marlin

And I no longer have a STEAM version of SSE

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2011, 11:13:01 »

Using the propellors to turn seems like a cumbersome way..How about using the rudder..?  ;)

It's quite common to use propellor thrust in real life, so much so that on the museum which I am currently curator of if one engine is stopped with the ship making a headway of more than around 8 knots even the extra drag of the stopped propeller causes the ship to swing so much to one side that even full rudder can't counteract it, we have a feathering system which puts 90 degrees of pitch on the stopped propeller to reduce the drag and allow us to operate on one engine.

Rudders are only truly effective when the ship is making headway, there is an effect from the propeller wash, but it is minimal and is usually only really noticable when the ship is stopped in the water or when used to add to the effect of the ship moving ahead by increasing the engine thrust. 

Going astern the rudders will work, but with reduced efficiency, and in the case of flapped rudders like the becker rudder using the rudders with too high a speed astern will damage the rudder.

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2011, 11:51:19 »

what happened to the bow ramp???? i see the controlls are on the ramp pannel on the Albatross 4, they are the bow and stern controlls, but theres a switch under them saying "open/Close" whats that for??? ive clicked it but it doesnt do anything??? is it for the missing Bow ramp??? ive seen someone with a pic useing the ramp in Dover

Keeping her name flying high...........

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2011, 12:36:51 »

They broke the ramp  :doh:

I think its something to do with it not moving right,

It should be in the next

Apejens

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2011, 23:53:20 »

I wish to thank Luc, who helped me download the right settings for the ship, which greatly improved the realism :)

Jaw

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2011, 10:04:10 »

Is it possible that you could poste those settings, then? Maybe we are others who need the correct dynamic settings...

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011, 20:23:28 »

Hi

On the Albatross IV, I have the stern thruster on and it produced a stern sideways thrust of 2.5 knots

I then put bow thruster on to stop the turning and make it start going sideways...

However I have found that the Stern thruster starts losing power and drops to 1.2 knots, whilst the bow thruster goes to 2.1 knots? starts it spinning the other way...? seems a bit odd...

*Both thrusters were at maximum power

TheSPilot

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 20:32:18 »

That is odd...

???

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2011, 19:18:45 »

Hi

On the Albatross IV, I have the stern thruster on and it produced a stern sideways thrust of 2.5 knots

I then put bow thruster on to stop the turning and make it start going sideways...

However I have found that the Stern thruster starts losing power and drops to 1.2 knots, whilst the bow thruster goes to 2.1 knots? starts it spinning the other way...? seems a bit odd...

*Both thrusters were at maximum power

I assume that you mean the stern was moving at 2.5 knots?

When you only have a stern thruster working you are only moving one end of the ship and in effect spinning the ship around her centre of lateral resistance, when you use both together you are moving the entire ship bodily sideways so there is a greater overall resistance.

The spinning effect of the stern thrust is cancelled out (and in this case reversed) by the bow thrust and as that was what was giving you the lateral movement of the stern then the stern will slow down, but the centre of the ship (or the centre of lateral resistance) which should have been almost stationary will start to move.

Sorry I couldn't put it any simpler :(

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 19:28:32 »

Ahh no problem

yeah that is what was happening

I always assumed that a bow thrust and stern thust together would make you go sideways, and assuming the two thrusters where the same not make you spin when both on equally...?

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2011, 08:08:30 »

The 2 thrusters are rarely the same, bow thrusters are normally bigger as you also have the propellers and rudders to assist aft.

If they were the same then for both thrusters to make the ship move sideways the centre of lateral resistance would have to be exactly half way along the length of the ship, if you look at your original design for CQ you can see that the centre of lateral resistance would be towards the stern which would give the bow thrust a bigger turning moment and make the ship swing in what ever direction the thrusters were operating.

You should be able to make a ship side slip, but you will have to balance the thrusters to give a zero rate of turn.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2011, 11:22:38 »

Ahh OK  :thumbs:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2011, 10:56:52 »

Or an alternative to Clanky suggestion and fine engineering explanation, you could try sticking a large pole on the deck (I suggest a Pole name Vladamir) attaching a large piece of cloth to aforementioned pole and call it a sail.

With aforementioned sail, point ship in general direction required and hope for the best. In the event that your self loading cargo complains that they wanted Calais and not the Azores then you tell them that if they can't take a joke then they shouldn't have joined.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines