Hello Guest May 01, 2024, 21:09:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freedom 90 - getting there  (Read 2834 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Freedom 90 - getting there
« on: August 26, 2011, 15:03:21 »

Hey Guys

Looking at the Freedom 90 in the new patch... it looks like we are slowly getting there

She does at last have some manouvreability now on land... at least at Dover

However, what I have found is this

Manouvring on land can only be done using the main props and rudder - the bow thruster doesn't work :/

Also the thrust has to be quite substantial to get her to turn/move

I then find this puts her into a uncontrollable spin, which varies as to whether or not it stops...

Also on land she doesn't lower to the ground when the lift fans are powered down

However - we are getting there, so thanks VSTEP :)

Hopefully by a possible next patch, we will get the full manouvrability on land back :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 15:06:55 by The Ferry Man »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: Freedom 90 - getting there
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 15:38:23 »

I have a solution which should A) encourage vstep to fix bugs and to avoid them releasing such poor software in the future and B) save customers a few quid.

Pay with a mixture of real money and chocolate buttons in proportion to the actual number of features that work. As they fix things, turn the chocolate buttons into gold.

I really can't believe that this length of time after release there is STILL such problems. Perhaps if they'd bother to finish off one programme before starting another 08 would have been quite good by now.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 17:41:57 »

Shipsim (from the very root) is like a saucepan with dough on the stove.  You pick it on on the right - it goes out on the left, you pick it on on the left & watch how it goes out on the right...
In such cases there 2 options: deal with it & hope for the better times or give up on whole.
Up for the next patch then...
keep it gnarly

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 17:43:36 »

I thought you both didn't even have SSE?  ::)

;D

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 17:48:29 »

Yes, we are those lucky people who are at home & with a smile looking on the window at people rushing under the rain:  "Poor guys..."
keep it gnarly

RYAN123

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 17:54:17 »

.... for the first time ever on SSE i have just done ryde to southsea  :2thumbs: Good job vstep it took 1 whole year but you have got a good Freedom 90  ;D
I shall return :evil:

I like Trains :)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 18:00:22 »

No, Fred, I haven't and won't on principle until it works. Remember that I was very enthusiastic due to Do Ca (itse). . . then I saw how unfinished. Not good. Which is why Istill say 06 was most enjoyable. Basic- but worked.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 18:07:44 »

Fair enough guys,..

Stu you have a point, I found SS06 more enjoyable because of the larger ammount of harbor traffic you had to navigate through.. granted, they didn't really do much apart from sailing onwards oblivious of the Rules of the Road...  but there was a lot more 'life' around you there and more care to be taken to arrive at our destination without dents or worse. And my TrackIR worked too, which I still dearly miss in SSE..  but oh well, dont wanna take it too off topic...   :)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 18:12:29 »

.... for the first time ever on SSE i have just done ryde to southsea  :2thumbs: Good job vstep it took 1 whole year but you have got a good Freedom 90  ;D

Thats good  :thumbs:

I find though that without the thrusters she is harder to turn on the pad, she spins as is she has a unmoveable pivot on the stern

But she is getting there, which is really good -a lot better then she was, even if she is easily turned into a washing machine spinning and spinning... and spinning...

eviss

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 21:16:50 »

But she is getting there, which is really good -a lot better then she was, even if she is easily turned into a washing machine spinning and spinning... and spinning...

Oh. . OK TFM, I give you the polite attitude, but this SSE (in General) is an absolute disgrace or disaster, whatever you like to call it. 
Yes, there are fantastic features and yes there are improvements, but the whole lot working as it should !?  No where near ! >:(

So to speak of the performance of the Freedom 90: "she's getting there" is a bit much; when they (after a year) do not even make all of her functions working  properly !  Let alone combining those to a simulation!  :P

Getting there, with this many faults left is a long time away, I'm afraid !   :doh:

How different /  what contrast to our hopes and expectations; sure, how we would LIKE to SEE that fixed !  ::)
THX SF!
Redfox
"Dover-Calais in the same environement !"

larsdehaan

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 21:23:11 »

Vstep made one big mistake wich is called the CCC but thats my opinion

P.s not trying to come over rude but would ya'll rather be still waiting for the game to be released?

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 21:35:11 »

Vstep made one big mistake wich is called the CCC but thats my opinion

P.s not trying to come over rude but would ya'll rather be still waiting for the game to be released?

CCC wasn't a mistake

but as for the wait a year - we have waited a year anyway for the game to become playeable with the quays, so we could have had a extra year with SS08, which was a great game, whilst they made SSE as good as possible before the release...

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 22:48:17 »

I must aggree with the points raised about the freedom 90 and her "like a brick" handling. There may, however, be a reason for this. The "shipsim" engine has been designed to work best with ships that have a hull. The F-90 doesn't, So Vstep have to think on there feet, Or add a huge chunk of new code in the physics engine. I'm not trying to make an excuse for Vstep here, after all, It took them nearly 5 months to make a patch that contained the grand total of 13 changes most of them minor.
The CCC was, in some ways, good for the shipsim community, giving them an oppertunity to get involved with the development of the game, its timing however, was poor.
sorry for the mildy off-topic post  :blush:
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 22:55:01 »

It worked fine in SS08 though... :/

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 14:14:20 »

I must aggree with the points raised about the freedom 90 and her "like a brick" handling. There may, however, be a reason for this. The "shipsim" engine has been designed to work best with ships that have a hull. The F-90 doesn't, So Vstep have to think on there feet, Or add a huge chunk of new code in the physics engine. I'm not trying to make an excuse for Vstep here, after all, It took them nearly 5 months to make a patch that contained the grand total of 13 changes most of them minor.
The CCC was, in some ways, good for the shipsim community, giving them an oppertunity to get involved with the development of the game, its timing however, was poor.
sorry for the mildy off-topic post  :blush:

With respect, you ARE making excuses. If you can't do something then don't take money from people. You can't run a business like this. I hope vstep is doing better on its other work as if it manages them in the same way then I fear for them

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 14:44:28 »

It worked fine in SS08 though... :/

I have to agree with TFM..The Freedom 90 was fine in SS08.. :)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 18:26:21 »

I have to agree with TFM..The Freedom 90 was fine in SS08.. :)

Yes, like many things. But obviously vstep realised they could earn more money by releasing beta quality software as sse rather than continue to develop the quite reasonable quality 2008.

I am really impressed with the demo of sse and I've been tempted to buy it based on that- however principles say I shouldn't give my money over until it's finished.

I really want to like sse as it has the potential to be such a good product- but they'll probably abandon it for another bug version/update before it is properly finished. Such a shame as they really have good potential for this,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines