Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 17:49:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rules of thumb about setting throttles and bowthruster when sidestepping in SSE.  (Read 1256 times)

MokMok

• Forum member

You can sidestep twin-screw ferries with bowthruster and the engines. For sidestepping of the PoR in SS08 to port for example, you used to set the bowthruster at 70% to port, the port engine set 20% ahead and starboard engine 20% astern.

In ShipSim Magazine Issue 6 March 2010 there was a page about manoeuvring of the PoR, I am posting this article here.

But what are the rules of thumb about setting the throttles and bowthrusters in SSE for sidestepping very well? I talk about setting the bow thrusters and engines to the right value for sidestepping of the following ships:

• Esperanza;
  • Pride of Rotterdam;
  • Albatros IV;
  • Coastguard Cutter;
  • Protector.

Ballast

• Global Moderator

Although the Mare Australe is a single prop vessel, you can still make her sidestep  :thumbs:
It's the crew that makes the difference

Snakebyte92

• Forum member

Although the Mare Australe is a single prop vessel, you can still make her sidestep  :thumbs:

That's an advantage when you're familair with real sailling. :captain:
Cadet Holland America Line

MokMok

• Forum member

@Ballast:
Although the Mare Australe is a single prop vessel, you can still make her sidestep

I am talking here about asking for the rules of thumb for properly sidestepping with two prop vessels by means of the props in opposite direction of each other and the bowthruster. Two prop vessels like the Albatros IV, Esperanza, Pride of Rotterdam, etc.

Snakebyte92

• Forum member

Why you just not going to figure out it by yourself.
I have tried if with the PoR. And it's exactly pretty easy to. Just find an open spot and try it.
I don't think there are really rules for. It mostly depends on the ship. Engine power, draft etc.. And then you got some variable factors like the wind.
Cadet Holland America Line
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines