Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 11:46:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Britain Is overdue an Earthquake ???  (Read 10682 times)

rjwhyte09

• Forum member
Great Britain Is overdue an Earthquake ???
« on: March 22, 2011, 20:23:24 »

Iv just Watched the news and they said UK is overdue for an earthquake as they were talking about other countries like USA  so I done research and I found this

Britain is overdue a killer earthquake that could see up to 100 people crushed to death, a leading geologist has warned.
Dr Roger Musson of the British Geological Survey believes a fracture in the earth's crust beneath the English Channel could slip at any time, sending a tremor rippling across the south east.
The same fault was to blame for one of Britain's biggest earthquakes in the last 500 years - a magnitude 6 quake that killed two children in London in 1580

According to Dr Musson, the same scale of earthquake would be 50 times more serious today because the population has grown so much.
Britain is shaken by hundreds of earthquakes every year, although most are too minor to detect.
Although they  can occur anywhere, experts are most concerned about faults that have triggered earthquakes before.
The 1580 earthquake was a magnitude of 5.5 to 6 on the Richter Scale and caused “extensive damage in London”, even though its epicentre was in the Dover Straits, Dr Musson told the British Science Festival.
“This earthquake could certainly happen again because even the earthquake of 1580 itself was a repeat of a previous earthquake that occurred in 1382 with almost the same epicentre, almost the same size and almost the same results.
Since 1580 the population of London has gone up 50 times.

Me my self think it hard to believe but i remember we had a earthquake in Scotland in 2007 i think which was small but in Scotland.

this source is from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1312608/UK-overdue-earthquake-kill-scores-people-moment.html

VIRTUAL SHIPS & VIRTUAL SHIP LINES

> http://virtualshipsandvirtualshiplines.weebly.com/

alex 3d

• Forum member
Re: Great Britain Is overdue an Earthquake ???
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 20:29:52 »

England is miles away from the edge of a plate. so no earthquake for us :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

rjwhyte09

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 20:38:15 »

Yeah thats good then the  thing that is so good about GB no volcano's,earthquakes.no disasters weather ways.ok summer thats fine for me lol

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 20:46:23 »

England is miles away from the edge of a plate. so no earthquake for us :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Did you not see the article though?

althrough we are on one plate, there is still some minor faults, not as bad as Say, the San Andreas or the japanese faults, you can still get Earthquakes - Folkestone had one a few years back...

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 20:47:57 »

Yeah thats good then the  thing that is so good about GB no volcano's,earthquakes.no disasters weather ways.ok summer thats fine for me lol

Hmm You're Scotttish I believe? Edinburgh Castle is located ontop of the throat of a ancient volcano...

rjwhyte09

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 20:59:45 »

Yeah i am Scottish live in Dundee City which the city sits on a volcano but is dead its last eruption was in the 1300`s its called the ``LAW``

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 21:44:59 »

The southern Atlantic Ridge had an earthquake today at 6.1..

Japan had two earthquakes today, two at 6.6 and one at 6.4..

If we get one we get one..

rjwhyte09

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 22:00:26 »

Thats what so scary cause no one knew that japan would be like this and they are built for earthquakes eg buildings etc GB is not if we get hit with a big earthquake we would not stand a chance

again very slim of it happening but i could  :o

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 22:01:07 »

earthquakes don't effect japan much

tsunamis do.

rjwhyte09

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 22:09:52 »

i see that now i thought they just got earthquakes :doh:

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 02:56:44 »

earthquakes don't effect japan much

tsunamis do.

You're kidding, right?

Remember a town called Kobe?  Or the great Kanto earthquake?  Japan is right along a massive intersection of several plates.

And tsunamis are also a result of earthquakes, only they then occur very near to the ocean, or underneath it so they trigger the tidal waves. You didn't think someone threw a rock in the pond?

Japan and earthquakes are no stranger to each other.. nor is it a surprise how bad it can get over there...

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 06:43:33 »

Earthquakes can happen anywhere on Earth. That is the consequence of a relatively fragile crust floating on a sea of molten rock. Therefore, every place on Earth is “overdue for an earthquake” if it has not had one recently.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 07:30:24 »

State of Washington has had 22 earth quakes in the last 7 days. We have a fault line not to far from here that tends to shake allot. But haven't has anything big since... 01 I believe.

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 19:06:34 »

Remember a town called Kobe?  Or the great Kanto earthquake?  Japan is right along a massive intersection of several plates.

Yes, but they weren't as  developed and didn't have the technology back then :)

Also, it isn't the earthquakes that really tend to kill people, its mostly the buildings

And tsunamis are also a result of earthquakes, only they then occur very near to the ocean, or underneath it so they trigger the tidal waves. You didn't think someone threw a rock in the pond?

also you don't technically need an earthquake for a tsunami :)

craigster1

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 21:55:55 »

and manchester had one the other day

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 23:02:24 »

A link to website which show recent earthquake activity in the UK in the last 30 days.

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/recent_events/recent_events.html

It's actually more common than you thought, it's just that we barely ever feel them.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 08:56:14 »

In the Southeastern part of the Netherlands there is a rift. It is part of the Lower Rhine Graben, it is active and capable of producing an earthquake with the magnitude 7 at the Richter Scale. We also have an active volcano in the backyard of our neighbour: Laacher See in the Volcanic Eifel Region in Germany, southeast of the Dutch county of Limburg. This vocanic lake is still emitting volcanic gases and a future eruption is still possible. The last eruption of Laacher See happened some 12.000 years ago and was comparable in size with the V.E.I. (Volcanic Explosivity Index) 6 Pinatubo Eruption in 1991. A new eruption of this size would wreak havoc in Germany.

In Southwest Germany between the Vosges and the Black Forest there is the Upper Rhine Graben. Together with the Lower Rhine Graben, they are part of the ECRIS (European Cenozoic Rift System).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:04:54 by MokMok »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 17:55:38 »

Wow! I leave you alone for a few months and you've all earned degrees in geology. I am really impressed.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 18:02:47 »

Wow! I leave you alone for a few months and you've all earned degrees in geology. I am really impressed.

:doh:

We try...  ;D

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 18:07:07 »

As horrific as the recent events in Japan have been, they probably couldn't have happened in a better place.  No other country is as well prepared for major disasters as Japan, as can be seen by the fact that rebuilding efforts have already begun. 

If a disaster of the scale seen in Japan had happened elsewhere then the effects would likely have been even worse than they were in Japan and the ability to recover would have been much less.

There is also the sad fact that as the world economy is so reliant on Japan the world will continue to help long after the news cameras have left, unlike Haiti which may never really recover from what was geologically speaking a much smaller event.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 18:11:01 »

12.000 years ago

I wouldn't call that very active..  :)

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 18:12:39 »

As someone who lives on a volcanic island, I have a fairly active interest in geology!  8)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 12:34:05 »

I climbed up Mount Teide back in the early 80s. It is quite surprising how hot the ground is there when you dig down a little... and that's from an alegedly dormant volcano.

Is it Gran Canaria that is in danger of falling to pieces? It's said if the mountain collapses it could send a shockwave through Atlantic at 800MPH, with the wave coming into the Med at P.O.H. (in that case maybe we'll let you have Gibraltar after all). Many islands in the Med will go, the W coast of Africa will be destroyed. The Caribbean, East coast (seaboard for any Americans here who haven't heard 'coast'!) of America...

Did I tell you I've just bought a big castle in the mountains and am about to build a big Ark there?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

mvsmith

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 13:18:18 »

State of Washington has had 22 earth quakes in the last 7 days. We have a fault line not to far from here that tends to shake allot. But haven't has anything big since... 01 I believe.

The massive devastation in Japan was the result of the fracture of a large piece of the Asian plate that was forced upward by a Pacific plate being forced under it along an offshore subduction zone.
A very similar geologic feature—the Cascadia subduction zone—is off the coast of Oregon and Washington. The same slow process that eventually led to the recent disaster is taking place there.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 18:57:48 »

Is it Gran Canaria that is in danger of falling to pieces? It's said if the mountain collapses it could send a shockwave through Atlantic at 800MPH, with the wave coming into the Med at P.O.H. (in that case maybe we'll let you have Gibraltar after all). Many islands in the Med will go, the W coast of Africa will be destroyed. The Caribbean, East coast (seaboard for any Americans here who haven't heard 'coast'!) of America...

Did you, by any chance, read this article in the Daily Mail? I remember a work colleague showing me it a few years ago.

You really should read more respectable newspapers such as The Guardian etc.... ;)  :lol:
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines