Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 02:53:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Which game areas (harbours) would you like to see in the future?  (Read 202266 times)

Konstruktionsbüro JB

• Forum member
Re: Which game areas (harbors) would you like to see in the future?
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 00:41:17 »

Baltic approches - two suggestions:

Route TANGO (including the DW route) from bouy Nr. 1 NW of Skagen L/H S through, Kattegat, the Great Belt and Langelandsbælt then forking either E via Fehmahrn Belt to the Baltic (Rostock, Gdansk, Kaliningrad etc.) or W towards the Kieler Canal. This would be the typical route for larger vessels offering lots of anti collison work and a need for a keen eye on your echo sounder. (A radar might be a good idea as well)

For the more experienced master you might add the Western short cut through Little Belt and its opposite Eastern number through the Sound passing the bottleneck at Elsinore and further S across Copenhagen Roads and the very narrow passages E and W of Saltholm and finally exiting at the Falsterbo "roundabout". These are not for the feeble and inexperienced and only take vessels up to 1599 BRT. Especially the Little Belt is a particularly nasty piece of work, its treacherous currents has earned it the nickname "Midshipman killer".
The Sound is a narrow fairway with a heavy traffic load of vessels entering and leaving the Baltic, but also offers a lot of ferries crisscrossing and heaps of fishing ships and pleasure craft always in harms way.

The Baltic approaches in general take all sorts of craft from the 45t fishing vessel to huge RoRos and cruise liners and thus offer the possibility to create a wide range of missions. Depending on what type of vessel the total sailing time from bouy no. 1 to the fork will be 8 - 16 hour real time.

Unfortunately it has been a couple of years since I sailed those waters myself so I cannot give you the corresponding Admiralty chart numbers.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 00:52:14 by Konstruktionsbüro JB »
Master, ex patrolcraft CO, 3D artist, historian and more.

tman

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 14:22:29 »

True, but it would need to be disabled in online play, otherwise it would influence other gamers environment, unless you programmed each gamer can set their own time rate - however, that means players who accelerate time can just "warp" away. I am not too into that.

I just meant on the missions and when were not online :)

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 08:59:14 »

I just meant on the missions and when were not online :)

Ah, okay.
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 08:59:38 »

Baltic approches - two suggestions:

Route TANGO (including the DW route) from bouy Nr. 1 NW of Skagen L/H S through, Kattegat, the Great Belt and Langelandsbælt then forking either E via Fehmahrn Belt to the Baltic (Rostock, Gdansk, Kaliningrad etc.) or W towards the Kieler Canal. This would be the typical route for larger vessels offering lots of anti collison work and a need for a keen eye on your echo sounder. (A radar might be a good idea as well)

For the more experienced master you might add the Western short cut through Little Belt and its opposite Eastern number through the Sound passing the bottleneck at Elsinore and further S across Copenhagen Roads and the very narrow passages E and W of Saltholm and finally exiting at the Falsterbo "roundabout". These are not for the feeble and inexperienced and only take vessels up to 1599 BRT. Especially the Little Belt is a particularly nasty piece of work, its treacherous currents has earned it the nickname "Midshipman killer".
The Sound is a narrow fairway with a heavy traffic load of vessels entering and leaving the Baltic, but also offers a lot of ferries crisscrossing and heaps of fishing ships and pleasure craft always in harms way.

The Baltic approaches in general take all sorts of craft from the 45t fishing vessel to huge RoRos and cruise liners and thus offer the possibility to create a wide range of missions. Depending on what type of vessel the total sailing time from bouy no. 1 to the fork will be 8 - 16 hour real time.

Unfortunately it has been a couple of years since I sailed those waters myself so I cannot give you the corresponding Admiralty chart numbers.

Sounds like great fun to me!
-Dave

ziggyc

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2007, 13:58:02 »

As an Aussie Ship Simmer, I would definitely like to see Sydney Harbour included somewhere in a future release of Ship Sim. It's a pretty busy place so it should make for some interesting missions. I suppose you could make cargo runs from up in Queensland down the coast to Sydney, Melbourne and across Bass Strait to Tasmania. Theres also the Barrier Reef and its various islands to ferry passengers and cargo around.
I also think you would need to include a 'yaw' option like they have in Flight Sim. The open ocean missions are going to take forever otherwise.

KDS

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2007, 14:42:39 »

I'd aslo think maybe Newcastle Harbour (Shipping Capital of the world) to Sydney Harbour could be cool. (Aust)

I agree with Newcastle but the one in the UK , It has everything from huge tankers to the patrol boats on the North Shields Fish Quay and the DFDS Ferry Terminal and they are building a new port for the QE2 to dock in September! :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 11:18:39 by KDS »
Best Regards
Kevin

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2007, 18:49:18 »

I agree with Newcastle 100%, I has everything from huge tankers to the patrol boats on the North Shields Fish Quay and the DFDS Ferry Terminal and they are building a new port for the QE2 to dock in September! :D
Dont you mean QM2?
-Dave

KDS

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2007, 19:00:42 »

Dont you mean QM2?

No the QE2. Thats what I read. ???
Best Regards
Kevin

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2007, 21:08:26 »

So they are still making efforts for that old ship? Wow. I would think they would be investing in ports for QM2 - QE2 needs to go into a major retrofit.
-Dave

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2007, 23:35:11 »

One of the main docks in Souhampton has been called QE2 dock for years, but that doesn't actually mean that only QE2 docks there...

Actually, their sister company Carnival/P&O use it as well.

Stuart
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2007, 00:08:53 »

And in Newcastle if you were coming in on a big cargo ship a helicopter could land on your ship to drop off the pilot (we usually use helicopters instead of pilot vessels) and also there are HUGE ship queues numbering up to 60+ so you could be a re-fueling vessel and take fuel out to waiting ships!

WEBSITE OF NEWCASTLE PORT CORP: www.newportcorp.com.au
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 02:19:30 by Captain Kool »

KDS

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2007, 11:12:44 »

And in Newcastle if you were coming in on a big cargo ship a helicopter could land on your ship to drop off the pilot (we usually use helicopters instead of pilot vessels) and also there are HUGE ship queues numbering up to 60+ so you could be a re-fueling vessel and take fuel out to waiting ships!

WEBSITE OF NEWCASTLE PORT CORP: www.newportcorp.com.au

Newcastle UK for the QE2 and the Queen of Scandinavia project. PERFECT.  :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 11:18:02 by KDS »
Best Regards
Kevin

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2007, 00:17:44 »

Wow - really? This sounds like a very very intense area. Very exciting. I will check out the website.
-Dave

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2007, 00:21:00 »

The long ques sound like the Port of Los Angele, there are always A LOT of containers and tankers waiting to be brought in for unloading or refueling. I have sailed out of there many times and there is always a huge fleet waiting for servicing.
-Dave

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2007, 01:00:47 »

Captain Kool proposed Newcastle in Australia, but KDS Newcastle UK, Tyneside I think. Which one is the best?
I prefer Newcastle (Maine), much cosier, less excited? And they surely need ferries too!
Regards,
Luc

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2007, 01:34:11 »

We will debate priorities of selection, if we do at all, later.
-Dave

Zk2mike

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2007, 15:56:13 »

i think if the northern sea ::)

KDS

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2007, 18:35:15 »

i think if the northern sea ::)

As a Newcastle UK fan and Ijmuiden fan check out their webcams on the Ijmuiden site at 9-10 and 5-6 and watch the DFDS ferrys.

www.amsterdamports.nl
www.portoftyne.co.uk
Best Regards
Kevin

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2007, 20:22:32 »

I really would like to see the port of Antwerp.

It is the 3rd biggest port in Europe and it has the biggest ship lock in the world (the Berendrechtsluis).

It allso has a lot of inland possibillyties. The Schelde-rijn Channel connects the port of Antwerp with Rotterdam. So, it allso will be good for open sea missions (Rotterdam-Antwerp)

And, it would be a great adition for the North sea (it is the most central port of the North sea).

But, the major reasen why I like the port of Antwerp is biceaus I only live 1km away from the port.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2007, 22:21:34 »

Ostende would be a goo one. I've never sailed in there but been on the road. The port is right in the middle of town. A stones throw from the road.

I bet Ostende is a challenging place to navigate (it certainly is by road!!!)

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2007, 23:56:34 »

I would like to see either Monaco, the French Rivera, Venice, Sicily, Miami, and some place in Alaska (idk)

bon voyage! :)

traytej

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2007, 02:06:22 »

u gotta put the clyde in !as it was the biggest ship building river in the world !

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2007, 19:30:40 »

yes! that is a cool place, I've been there once and it really is big
bon voyage! :)

matt105

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2007, 09:37:36 »

Hey Sydney Harbour to Newcastle will be the best i reckon, as Sydney is well known and Newcastle Harbour (2 hours north from Sydney) is well known for supplying coal and that when you enter the harbour it's kind of narrow to get in, so theres a challenge. I can supply you some pics if you would like. I'm from Newcastle, Australia and i think it will be great for once if sydney got credit from a game  ;D

cheers,

Matt

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2007, 06:01:59 »

Ostende would be a goo one. I've never sailed in there but been on the road. The port is right in the middle of town. A stones throw from the road.

I bet Ostende is a challenging place to navigate (it certainly is by road!!!)

Stu

That would make it even more entertaining to pilot!
-Dave

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines