Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 05:58:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange fps problem.  (Read 1822 times)

sondre-tide

• Forum member
Strange fps problem.
« on: March 02, 2011, 17:16:00 »

Hi

I've allways thought my fps was a bit low, when I downloaded fraps and tested SSE the yellow fps sign show from 15 to 20. This is rather strange since I'm using medium quality. Pc spec is:
Intel i5 2.8 @ 3.3
ATI Radeon 5700 series
4 GB Ram

Tested Black ops with almost highest setting 60 fps.
I'm considering to reinstall? Is it normal to have such low fps using a "gaming" computer?
I have the required spec to run the game so this is a annoying problem and it looks like its just appearing in SSE.

Thx for any help.                                                     

Ballast

• Global Moderator
Re: Strange fps problem.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 17:26:35 »

I have a similar machine with the same FPS. I stopped bothering looking at the FPS though, the game runs smooth and no hicks ups occur when i spin the camera really fast around the ship.  :) I think it's just messing with your mind  :lol:
It's the crew that makes the difference

sondre-tide

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 17:34:15 »

OK thx for quick answer :)
I have been looking at the asus gtx 460 card, not sure its worth it just for SSE since other games run smooth. Well well it's a bit like FSX and FS9 = bad coding from the deveplovers :)

Looking forward to the ferry pack though, the best thing that's ever happened to Vstep!

EDIT:
Just finished inntaling SSE from scratch I guess thats ver 1.1 or something, but anyways I found out that my fps was in average around 40-50 fps :D

I guess it's the patch 1.3 the reason for the low fps. I will try to innstall the patch 1.3 and check once with ai-ship and then without to see the fps change.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 17:44:10 by sondre-tide »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 17:42:45 »

Lot's of people with good computers have been complaining about the low fps since the update 1.3
There may be nothing wrong with your computer.. :)

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 14:16:11 »

the 1.3 patch clearly showed signs of huge FPS drops at many people.
the next patch should fix this FPS issue.  ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 17:42:12 »

The normal frame rate for satisfactory operation of Extremes is 15-20 FPS. It is unlikely that you will see frame rates significantly higher than that any time soon.

The various features and improvements in Extremes, which is a completely different program from SS2008—and from any of the other games with which it is compared, tax to the limit the computational capabilities of most systems available to the majority of users.
It is the computations that must be done by the CPU before each frame can begin to be rendered by the graphics system that accounts for the low frame rates. Unless your graphics card is a very low-end one, it is unlikely that you would see much improvement with a more expensive one.

You may hear dissenting opinions on satisfactory frame rates from FSX users who have, apparently, not noticed that most airplanes move a lot faster than most ships; or if they have, are not able to see the connection between that fact and the necessity for higher frame rates in flight simulators.

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 18:08:27 »

I have tried Sail Simulator 5 from StenTec. And playing in that program, I have a framerate of about 50 fps.

I hope that the 1.3.5 patch will improve my framerates. Especialy in MP environments with 7 players online my FPS drops to 6.

sondre-tide

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 14:49:41 »

I have now realizied that playin in free roam with ai ships or without ai ships can be the difference between 50 and 20 fps (at least on my computer)
S o that's why some looses so much fps in multiplayer with many players, especially if they have ships like Ocean star and etc.

It's almost like it don't matter whether you play with all setting on high or medium. I had 20 with medium, 20 with high. :)

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 16:00:34 »

It's almost like it don't matter whether you play with all setting on high or medium. I had 20 with medium, 20 with high. :)

That is evidence that you graphics system is not the limiting factor in frame rate.
It is the load on the CPU necessary to handle AI and all other objects that can move between frames that occupies the majority of the time between frames.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines