Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 12:20:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: couple of questions from a new user  (Read 3208 times)

ac_freeman

• Forum member
couple of questions from a new user
« on: March 03, 2011, 14:39:36 »

Hi All,

Just installed yesterday and after a quick run through the Tutorial have been trying the POR Rotterdam/Calais mission......quite a struggle for a first day :-)

During the Tutorial there was a pop-up message saying that if I clicked underneath the Compass a small white circle would appear that would indicate in which direction I should head - I could not get this circle to appear despite clicking as indicated ( or at least i think I was clicking as required :-) ), does anybody know what I might be doing wrong?

Second question - I managed to sail out of Rotterdam harbour without any difficulties but I had all sorts of problems berthing at Calais, eventually I figured out that there are both bow and stern thrusters and after an hour of struggling I kind of managed to get alongside the berth, close enough for the bollards to be yellow - now, when I clicked on a bollard to attach the rope, the POR heeled over to starboard by about 45 degrees, and even when I detached the rope the ship remained at this angle.....at this point I gave up and went to bed. I will make another attempt this evening but if anybody has any pointers as what I might have done wrong it would be much appreciated. And, yes, I do realise that this might be a bit ambitious after one day but "driving" the POR is what I have been looking forward to do :-)

thanks & regards,

Andy

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
Re: couple of questions from a new user
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 14:55:34 »

During the Tutorial there was a pop-up message saying that if I clicked underneath the Compass a small white circle would appear that would indicate in which direction I should head -

Hello Freeman,

Yes, if you click on the circle next to the letter "N" (at the bottom of the compass) this should happen provided you are heading for a waypoint. Please see attachment for some more details.

now, when I clicked on a bollard to attach the rope, the POR heeled over to starboard by about 45 degrees, and even when I detached the rope the ship remained at this angle.....

Were you in deep waters? There is a possibility that you went aground in shallow waters close to the pier and this typically happens - heeling over. At such times, it is acceptable to stay in deeper waters when off the pier and conduct a mooring. Not very realistic, I agree but that's the only way to end the mission.

Regards
vin_sun
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 15:07:56 »

Hi vin_sun,

Many thanks for the reply - when I try again this evening I will save my position just inside the harbour, if I fail to moor at least I can restart the mission from this point and keep trying. I will try your suggestion of attaching the ropes while being a bit further away from the berth.

regards,

Andy

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 00:02:42 »

Success! Was tricky but I managed to dock in Calais and am now half way across the channel enroute to Dover ( saved the mission ) - I actually took the ship right up to the side of the berth and as soon as I had attached one line forward and one aft that was sufficient for the mission.

Brilliant simulator, only disappointment so far is the lack of other shipping to see.

Andy

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 06:22:08 »

Brilliant simulator, only disappointment so far is the lack of other shipping to see.

Meaning ???:blush:

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 15:49:22 »

I mean there were no other ships to been in Calais harbour and nothing while I was crossing the channel - I have been reading other posts and I saw some mention of a mission editor so perhaps I will be able to add some traffic,as this is only my 3rd day with the sim I will continue to sail the mission first to get used to things - really enjoying it so far.

Andy

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 20:19:44 »

Hi Andy,

I see what you mean. Yes, SSE does not have much of AI traffic. Due to a vast overall improvement in graphics (compared to SS 2008) the presence of AI traffic had to be cut down greatly to keep the performance stable. Had it been so there would have been a tremendous drop in the frame rates. In fact, there is already a drop in frame rates after the release of Update 1.3 and it is hoped that this would be addressed when Update 1.3.5 is released.

The Mission Editor allows you to create your own missions but mind you an "overload" of AI traffic may impact performance. If you eventually plan to create a custom mission and upload it, the mission will be scrutinised by Custom Mission Managers and it is up to them to approve it or not. Excessive AI traffic is generally frowned upon.

In contrast, SS 2008 had a fair amount of AI traffic in its missions and you did see it in port waters which offered more challenges.This version would be a better bet if you want to see traffic around the player ship.

Regards
vin_sun

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 14:58:41 »

Hi vin-sun,

Thanks again - just a quick question regarding the mission editor, is it possible to copy existing missions and change them, eg. could I copy the existing Pride of Rotterdam Calais/Dover mission and then change the weather and add in some AI traffic?

regards,

Andy

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 15:10:28 »

Hi Andy,

What you do with any mission on your own computer is between you and the Great Pumpkin.
Do not upload it or distribute it in any way. Doing so could land you in deep kaka.

Regards,
Marty

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 15:56:44 »

Hi Marty,

Sure, understood.

regards,

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines