Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 01:25:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ideal SSE computer  (Read 6676 times)

danny

• Forum member
The Ideal SSE computer
« on: February 03, 2011, 19:57:00 »

Hey all,
i'm thinking of upgrading my computer to make it SSE compatable, so i'm not depending on my laptop all the time.
I was woundering, what would be the Ideal specs for SSE, i already have a case, cd/dvd, sound card and hard disks, the things i need are a PSU, CPU, graphics card, mobo, and a buntch of fans, plus a OS...
anyone got any suggestions?
thanks in advance :) (if this topic is in the wrong place then please move it, i was unsure where to put it)
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
Re: The Ideal SSE computer
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 20:19:32 »

Hi Danny,

What is your budget ??

Regards
vin_sun
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 21:54:28 »

unlimited, but would prefer to stay shy of £400,
i also need ram

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 05:42:51 »

i also need ram

What you need is Alienware my friend

http://www1.ap.dell.com/nz/en/home/desktops/desktop-gaming/ct.aspx?refid=desktop-gaming&s=dhs&cs=nzdhs1

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 06:34:21 »

What you need is Alienware my friend

Hi 3rd ....

Danny's budget works out to around US$ 645 (1 British pound = $1.61)

The Alienware starts upward of $5000/-  ;D ;D ;D ;D

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 06:39:57 »

i also need ram

Hi Danny,

I will see what I can churn out of your "unlimited" budget of £ 400.  ;D ;D

Please give me some time.

Regards
vin_sun

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:28:56 »

Hi 3rd ....

Danny's budget works out to around US$ 645 (1 British pound = $1.61)

The Alienware starts upward of $5000/-  ;D ;D ;D ;D

ooops, i got carried away when I saw Unlimited  :doh:

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Bob360

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 14:39:32 »

Unlimited with restrictions. That's funny. You should do better than that. Vin_Sun would need a little more working room than $650.00 for a good computer to handle this game, and other CPU demanding games like it. You want one that you don't have to upgrade within a couple of years. It’s my experience that a $650.00 computer would get you a so, so computer, but not the “Ideal“ computer that you are looking for according to this threads description. You would need a fairly high-end computer to run this game with the expected results. Just look at all the complaints on how slow this game runs from other people that have decent computers. I just simply don’t think Vin_Sun is going to find you an adequate computer for that kind of money. This is just my opinion, and thoughts. If money isn’t really an issue, let him find you a GOOD computer for it’s money.

Don’t buy a computer just for any one game. Buy it with the future in mind for other games you may like that need a relatively high-end computer. Otherwise you’ll be buying, or upgrading your computer every year, or so just to keep up. I try to get one that doesn’t need (anticepating of course) any major upgrades for at least 5 years. You don’t have to spend a ton of money, but don’t be thrifty either. I, myself like to stay ahead of the curve. You’re either unlimited, or limited. You have to decide. You can’t be both.

Tiger Direct offers “Built-to-Order” computers at reasonable prices. There are others out there too. The key is to have it built for you instead of the standard built computers that may, or may not be capable of upgrades. I’ve dealt with this company for 10 years, and never had a problem. This includes refunds & exchanges, and their customer support is second to none in my opinion. I own my own business, and have purchased at least 7 desk-tops & 2 lap-tops, plus other hardware in that time frame. Give them a try. !:)

PS
The computer listed below is my latest purchase on January 2011. It cost $1,500, but you may not need the latest Sound Blaster, or the 2 additional 1TB Drives. That would shave off about $400.00.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 15:20:27 by Bob360 »
Simulations are a way of life... or is it?

Windows7 Ultimate 64Bit
Intel i5 2 core, Quad. 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram
GeForce GT 430. NVidia GeForce GT 430 Driver Up-to-date
Sound Blaster X-Fi. DirectX 11
23" Asus Monitor 1920x1080 Resolution
3 1TB Hard-drives (2 internal, 1 external).

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 15:56:14 »

Mine was 1.3K and the way it worked is I went on their website and built it myself, all they did is assemble all the parts. While you choose the parts yourself it tells you exactly how much each part will cost you. I think you will need a price range like mine 1.3k to guarantee a shot at this. The company that I made it with is called Computer Alliance, not sure if it operates in the UK but here is the website so you can get a better feel.

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/systems.aspx
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 15:58:51 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Bob360

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 16:09:13 »

Mine was 1.3K and the way it worked is I went on their website and built it myself, all they did is assemble all the parts. While you choose the parts yourself it tells you exactly how much each part will cost you. I think you will need a price range like mine 1.3k to guarantee a shot at this. The company that I made it with is called Computer Alliance, not sure if it operates in the UK but here is the website so you can get a better feel.

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/systems.aspx
Yes sir. TigerDirect.com does it the same way. That would be fairly typical of an ideal computer price range. That’s not an unreasonable price. You probably added some extras like I did. Those are personal choices of course. I don’t think he’ll find a good enough computer at his price range. He’d have to at least double it. I guess we’ll just have to see how “unlimited” he is. Not a chance @ $650.00 though. ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 16:13:10 by Bob360 »

Windows7 Ultimate 64Bit

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 17:31:07 »

@Bob360

Thanks Bob, for all your input and advice for Danny. You are absolutely right about everything you have said in your post. Nevertheless, I have something for Danny but ...... read on ...... you will understand !!

P.S. I did go to TigerDirect and when I clicked on the UK flag there it took me to MISCO, and I had in fact got all the pricing from there, before I checked with TigerDirect.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Danny,

Trust you have read and understood all that Bob has said. I am sure you would have recognised his computer expertise and I have no qualms in admitting that it is superior to mine.

Well, I did my best to select the components you wanted to run SSE, but at the same time I wanted to stay a bit above the recommended System Requirements. I had to cross your £ 400 budget, but with some drawbacks.

Here is what I managed:-

1)  Processor:     Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.1 Ghz 1156 socket                163 £

2)  MoBo:           ASUS P7H55 - M PRO Socket LGA1156                      92 £

3) RAM:              Kingston Value RAM (2 x 2GB) PC 10600
                        DDR 3  1333 Mhz                                                  33 £

4) Gfx Card:        Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 1GB                                 73 £

5) PSU:              Antec 550 Watts                                                   82 £    

Total              443 £

The buck stops here, Danny !!  Sorry, I cannot squeeze in the OS. You'll need about  Â£ 120 more.

I have used www.misco.co.uk for prices and it includes VAT.

Your comments / views will be most welcome.

Regards
vin_sun                    
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 17:32:56 by vin_sun »

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 18:00:28 »

hi guys,
thanks for doing some research vin_sin!
what i ment by unlimited was that i do have a endless budget, but don't really want to spend more than a certain amount.
I can also see that i'm going to have to spend more than i wanted to start, but hey, if a jobs worth doing its worth _____ (fill in the blank  ;D )

Bob360

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 18:05:19 »

@Vin_Sun,

1) On the Intel Core i5. Is that a 2core Quad like mine??
2) ASUS. I had two of them, and they both overheated to where you can fry an egg on it within two years. Never again!
3) 4GB Ram. That should be enough, but I like more (8GB) for my own reasons, and it keeps me ahead of the curve without updating for a while. Especially with high demand games.
4) The graphics card. Well, again that's a personal choice. I always stuck with GeForce.
5) 550 watts. I chose the 1000 watts power surge protector for strickly precautionary reasons.

It probably comes with the standard Windows 7 Home OS. Mine was W7 Ultimate @ $300.00.

All-in-All, that's a terrific price for him. Good job. :2thumbs:

@Danny,

That's exactly what I was trying to point out. Do it right the first time around. This is most certainly cost effective in the long run. Good Luck. ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 18:08:34 by Bob360 »

Windows7 Ultimate 64Bit

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 18:18:36 »

Hi danny,
I sent you a PM regarding this matter. I hope you got it OK. The computer Is within your £400 limit and plays SSE perfectly.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

nathan.rail

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 18:28:29 »

A Phenom X4 works well SSE, (I prefer very much more a AMD than an Intel) with a HD5770 1GB and 4GB of RAM, with a windows Vista or 7, it works perfectly

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 18:30:56 »

Traddles thankyou so much for the link you sent me,
I've gone through it and it is pritty much everything i'm looking for!
the only thing is it comes with a Nvdia GTS 450 1GB, but that shouldn't make a difference, right?

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 18:42:00 »

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
Hi danny,
You will see that my Nvidia GTS 250 card scores 1069 on the attached listing. The GTS 450 scores 1443 which makes it a better card than I have.
Regards,
Angus.

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 19:19:35 »

Hi Angus,

I did peep into the Dxdiag of your machine (again  ;D) and is sure neat @ £399.

Even though I have an AMD processor very close to the one you have, I chose to recommend the Core i5 for Danny as Intel sort of appeals more to many. Personally, I have been quite happy with AMD (my first time) up to now but I have to monitor it for a longer time as it is said that the heat generation in AMDs is high. Further Intels are priced higher than AMDs and hikes up the price.

What is the wattage of your PSU? Did your machine come with Windows pre-loaded? I prefer that one owns his own OS disk.

I suppose all these factors resulted in me not being able to give Danny everything for £400. But thanks anyway, for giving him a lead.

Regards
vin_sun

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 19:27:14 »

All-in-All, that's a terrific price for him. Good job. :2thumbs:

Thanks Bob. The MISCO site wasn't as friendly and elaborate as TigerDirect or Newegg and I wasn't aware of any other site in UK for comparative reference. If Danny is keen to stay with his £400 budget, I think Traddles gave him a better lead and it is an AMD and GeForce combo.

It's good that we all discover new things from various inputs.

Regards
vin_sun

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 19:34:04 »

To danny,
I attach a picture of my settings as promised.

Angus

And to vin_sun,
Hi Vinod,
Since I bought my machine the Company I got it from now offer the machine at the same price of £399 with a Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 IGB graphics card. Other than that change the machine is identical. I have posted details of the firm in the past, but I do not wish to seem as if I am promoting the firm. I have a 500watt PSU and the machine came pre-loaded with Windows 7 home premium 64bit but the disc was included together with all the details of the rest of the rig.

A.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 19:44:19 by Traddles »

Pilot Moore

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 21:40:30 »

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting this computer: http://aldi.medion.com/md8351/uk/?refPage=aldi

What do you reckon?

Thanks

Simon

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 22:47:04 »

It should* be ok, i'm not 100% because the graphics card isn't on the comparision list
* i cannot be held responsible if it doesn't work

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 08:20:34 »

Hi Simon,

The specs seem to be OK but I could not find the graphics card HD 6450 benchmark. Strange, that it is has only 512 MB of graphics memory as most cards are now coming with 1 GB. Since it has not been mentioned in the specs, please ensure that the PSU (Power supply unit) is of at least 500 Watts.

Regards
vin_sun

DVOMarineDesign

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 18:15:13 »

The HD 6450 is a new budget card with low performances. Considering the price it's not surprising. In general, for the AMD/ATI radeon serie, as soon as you see something inferior to 7 (and that's really the minimum) for the 2nd number (here 4), then forget it for a use as a gaming/simming machine.

To sum up: don't buy this for SSE.

DVOMarineDesign (Dom).

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 18:23:22 »

Hi pilot,
this machine might be a better choice : http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Gallant-AMD-555-GTS450-94p1010.htm its £399, so the same price as the machine your looking at, and can maintain around 25-30FPS on SSE with decent qaulity settings, credit goes to traddles for suggesting this rig to me as the one i should buy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines