Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 20:54:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

How about walk aroudn though rooms/turnbine see propellers ect.

Yes
- 27 (67.5%)
No
- 3 (7.5%)
Maybe
- 8 (20%)
Don't care
- 2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walk around  (Read 4505 times)

Thorinkiller

• Forum member
Walk around
« on: May 15, 2007, 02:41:26 »

like the titanic i could only walk on the decks not inside the rooms :'(
Crit Happens Rexxar Lvl 70 Orc Hunter

cargohauler

• Forum member
Re: Walk around
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 22:01:32 »

That would be AMAZING...but you do have to realize we are on a simulator, and will cost lots of lag. I just get lag from the walkaround on the titanic, just imagine the intricate pieces of the engines.

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 00:04:41 »

I would like it but the engine would need to be able to streamline the process of computing the mvoign about so it does not generate a ton of lag.
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 03:01:21 »

Hmm.....

GeForce 1,000,000,000,000 anyone?  :P

Imagine the CPU and Graphics to keep that up to speed  :o :o :o :o :o

Good idea, but I doubt it would be as enjoyable because of the, as stated....'lag', even on a high-end system :(

Regards.

DJM
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 01:27:53 »

Well, that is not entirely too. It is all in good programming and such. Many other games have gone more complex and have maintained high frame rates on lower power systems than what S2008 requires.
-Dave

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 09:58:57 »

Well, that is not entirely too. It is all in good programming and such. Many other games have gone more complex and have maintained high frame rates on lower power systems than what S2008 requires.

Very true :)

This is also true of really old games that have 'blown us out of the water'....Amiga, SNES games spring to mind, but that could just be me showing my age :P

Regards.

DJM.

RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 11:57:34 »

As a technician I would like to see the engine room too. But in my opinion, ShipSim should simulate the decks crew tasks. So I could live very well without the whole interieur of the vessels, if the ships behaviors come closer to reality!

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

KDS

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 12:28:29 »

As a technician I would like to see the engine room too. But in my opinion, ShipSim should simulate the decks crew tasks. So I could live very well without the whole interieur of the vessels, if the ships behaviors come closer to reality!

Cheers

Sound interesting...  :) :)
Best Regards
Kevin

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 12:55:56 »

Walking through the enginerooms would be indeed nice. There are some points in favor of such a walkmode though.
In an engineroom, you dont see anything outside, the graphic burden can be reduced accordingly.
Moreover, mechanical parts have simple forms and need relatively less textures, that is why it could be envisaged. Indeed, nowadays, you see less -if any at all- moving parts in enginerooms.
Would the biggest problem not be then new requirements regarding many engineer's tasks?
It would be perhaps possible for modelers to develop sets of standard engines, pumps, tanks, tubes, valves to equip enginerooms, staircases, ..?
Regards
Luc

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 05:48:02 »

Walking through the enginerooms would be indeed nice. There are some points in favor of such a walkmode though.
In an engineroom, you dont see anything outside, the graphic burden can be reduced accordingly.
Moreover, mechanical parts have simple forms and need relatively less textures, that is why it could be envisaged. Indeed, nowadays, you see less -if any at all- moving parts in enginerooms.
Would the biggest problem not be then new requirements regarding many engineer's tasks?
It would be perhaps possible for modelers to develop sets of standard engines, pumps, tanks, tubes, valves to equip enginerooms, staircases, ..?
Regards
Luc

You are right. I wonder if a "mode" shift could be made between the interior portion of the engine room and other walk around areas, thereby reducing calcuation loads. Hrm. . . .  Good point indeed. There would be a way to work it out.
-Dave

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 12:42:11 »

From a techincal point though, whilst in the engine room the computer still has to 'think' about what the ship is doing and how it is acting etc- location, speed, collisions.

Just because it isn't showing the bridge, it would still need to think about it!

I would (despite appearances) like to see an engine room, but I think to make it sufficently detailed you would be talking about a seperate programme.

Stuart
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 19:48:38 »

From a techincal point though, whilst in the engine room the computer still has to 'think' about what the ship is doing and how it is acting etc- location, speed, collisions.

Just because it isn't showing the bridge, it would still need to think about it!

I would (despite appearances) like to see an engine room, but I think to make it sufficently detailed you would be talking about a seperate programme.

Stuart

I am aware the process would still be occurring. However, without being able to "see" the outside world, is there a way to streamline the processing since you will not see anything? That is why I mentioned something about a mode shift . . . If it is even possible. Where when you go to engine rooms and such, you reduce the polygon processing of the exterior world but maintain some close proximity processing, therefore maintaing other calculations of the vessel moving, if it were to be in a collision, etc.

However, with what everyone is talking about here . . . . Would their be usable controls in this room or would it be just visual?
-Dave

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines