Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 22:25:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spam attacks the Forum  (Read 14352 times)

Ralphy

• Forum member
Re: Spam attacks the Forum
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 13:44:34 »

he means that all the moderators are glad to help remove the spam, they do it so quickly that you havn't seen any

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2010, 14:46:41 »

Gold star for Ralphy!  ;D

Yeah I was being cheeky..  :)

matt5674

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 06:02:58 »

I found two more spam posts, one in Small Talk, and the other in SSE, the SSE one not relative to the game. The poster is from Afghanistan and both have the same name but both have one post. I find it odd why this person would spam on the Ship Sim Forum of stuff completely unrelated.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 06:45:38 »

I guess he is either very bored or very unimaginative..
 (oops, there's another one)..

Untill this pesk is dealt with, it would seem best not to click on the links in his topics.. (you never know)   ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:04:24 by saltydog »

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 14:35:11 »

I find it odd why this person would spam on the Ship Sim Forum of stuff completely unrelated.

because that's where spamming is all about  ;)

matt5674

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 05:28:21 »

I found more Afghanistan Spam and surprisingly the person revealed his email address in his profile. Here is a picture from one of the afghan users' profile:

Here are two recent topics from afghan user with same name and one post each:
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,23650.msg312767.html#new
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,23651.msg312767.html#new
Second link is in the Ship Simulator Extremes Board.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2011, 05:44:20 »

Not trying to be racist or anything but, people from that country have a bad name across the world especially in the US, this person will need to be reminded this is not the place to leave spam

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 12:38:56 »

Guys,

Have you ever thought that the country that is first in the list when registering is Afganistan? The spammers are NOT from this country, I am almost 100% sure on that, but instead they are simply just a macro script running from a server somewhere (or on someones computer) that visits websites (much like a search engine spider) and register itself on forums to be a nuisense. Most of the time it is a bid to advertise drugs and pointless things.

I would bet a beer on the fact that spammers have almost nothing to do with Afganistan :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2011, 12:40:55 »

i do not think spammers will leave anything of personal information around the internet, in fact im almost a 100% sure it's a bot which generates these random email adresses and account names.

and i wouldn't count on it either that he/she's from afganistan, any idiot can select that country.  ;)

the email will probably be useless as no one uses it, the name of the email adress could be made by a bot because of the strange combination of characters. aswell for the name.

btw, what is the first country in the list of countrys you can select? wouldn't surprise me if it is afganistan.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2011, 12:44:46 »

Hmm been a long time since I registered, is there a "human check" when registering? Most forums have a picture with letters to type in...

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2011, 13:01:38 »

this is not the place to leave spam

There is a good place to post spam ?   ;D
But yes, as no passport is required to add a flag to your name, the guy could be from anywhere..

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2011, 22:59:29 »

i do not think spammers will leave anything of personal information around the internet, in fact im almost a 100% sure it's a bot which generates these random email adresses and account names.

and i wouldn't count on it either that he/she's from afganistan, any idiot can select that country.  ;)

the email will probably be useless as no one uses it, the name of the email adress could be made by a bot because of the strange combination of characters. aswell for the name.

btw, what is the first country in the list of countrys you can select? wouldn't surprise me if it is afganistan.

Wasn't that what I said? :D
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

freeciv

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 23:38:06 »

It is Afghanistan, I just checked.
Gone fishing            Thanks pdpx7 for the great sig!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 03:00:06 »

Captain Spencer already said that aswell.. and lots of other people have in the past as well..  ::)

freeciv

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 04:10:49 »

Captain Spencer already said that aswell.. and lots of other people have in the past as well..  ::)

Sorry  :'(

Where does Mr. Afghanistan typically spam? I have been looking but, I can't find anything.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 04:28:43 »

That's because his posts are removed by a mod as soon as they're spotted.. ;)

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2011, 09:18:53 »

Hmm been a long time since I registered, is there a "human check" when registering? Most forums have a picture with letters to type in...

I agree, it's about time security is beefed up on this Forum as it would seem any Tom, Harry and Dick are able to register on this forum and then leave spam messages.

Something like "Word Vertification" where you see an image of random text and you would have to type in exactly what you see, like this one:

http://ruturajv.wordpress.com/2006/02/13/anti-spam-word-verification/

It's unlikely any spammers would waste their time typing in these word vertification every time they spam a website or a forum.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2011, 12:22:08 »

Wasn't that what I said? :D

yes, but i was writing my message while you were, so you clicked on the post button before i finished my message.  ;)

Recaptcha is a good initiative

Bob360

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2011, 23:12:21 »

Some threads are just pointless. I'm very surprized that a Moderator even created it. All forums have SPAM. We as members can report it, and the Moderators can take action. Instead of a thread like this being made, I would like the many Moderators of this site to delete the so many duplicate threads, and/or look-a-like threads, or at the very least condense them into one.

Such as:

"Polls" asking what you think about SSE. I know of at least 3 of them.
"Questions" about the game. God, there must be at least 8 of those.
"Control Issues" Another exhausting topic.

This makes it hard to get a decent search in the forum program, when you have several of them popping up, instead of 1 - 3 listed.

Need I go on? Please don't ask me "if I can do better" because as a Moderator I have, and done it. With the many moderators here, someone should be assigned to catch these postings, and take the appropriate action.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 15:10:17 by Bob360 »
Simulations are a way of life... or is it?

Windows7 Ultimate 64Bit
Intel i5 2 core, Quad. 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram
GeForce GT 430. NVidia GeForce GT 430 Driver Up-to-date
Sound Blaster X-Fi. DirectX 11
23" Asus Monitor 1920x1080 Resolution
3 1TB Hard-drives (2 internal, 1 external).

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2011, 16:40:46 »

are people still on about this spam thing?
I thought the mods had finished the job already?

and the fact that accusing *afghans* and *Paki's* already shows that people have no respect at all when this forum isnt even meant to have such people who use words that might sound offensive to some people.

Please show respect to what your talking about and use your words carefully,

krytsch

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2011, 16:59:05 »

and the fact that accusing *afghans* and *Paki's* already shows that people have no respect at all when this forum isnt even meant to have such people who use words that might sound offensive to some people.

Well spoken, TFK

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2011, 16:59:16 »

Hi,

The spam attack is - for now at least - stopped.

Talking about the country of the spammers is totally pointless. Why Afghanistan ? Because it's the first country in the list, when you have to choose. Point. It's alphabetical, and has nothing to do with the nationality of the spammers.

Some threads are just pointless. I'm very surprized that a Moderator even created it. All forums have SPAM. We as members can report it, and the Moderators can take action. Instead of a thread like this being made, I would like the many Moderators of this site to delete the so many duplicate threads, and/or look-a-like threads, or at the very least condense them into one.

"pointless threads" ... Looks like you know what you're talking about.

1. the spam attacks, as I wrote above, is stopped
2. Vin_sun, when he started this thread, was not even a moderator yet.

Don't hesitate to report new spam message, if some come again, anyway. Everyone's help is very appreciated :)

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2011, 18:31:12 »

there should be a country in the top of the list called "aaim a spammer"

freeciv

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2011, 00:23:59 »

there should be a country in the top of the list called "aaim a spammer"
;D
Heres its flag..
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines