Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 21:55:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMD Radeon 6850  (Read 3742 times)

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
AMD Radeon 6850
« on: October 24, 2010, 17:54:08 »

Hi guys,

At the moment I have the Nvidia 9500 gt with 512mb ddr2 memory..
As you guys know, that's not really good..  :'( And I really see that with SSE. So i'm looking for a new Graphic card.
First I saw the nvidia gtx460. It seems for me pretty good Graphic card. But I looked further and I saw that the AMD radeon 6850. Which looks for me better than the Nvidia gtx460.

I'm not someone who has a lot of knowlegde about graphic cards. So is the AMD radeon a good graphic card too buy? Or should I take the nvidia gtx460. Or maybe something totally else(me budget is max 200 euros)

I hope someone can help me. I have attached me Dxdiag.  

Thanks in advance,

Snaky
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 17:59:46 by Snakebyte92 »
Cadet Holland America Line

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
Re: AMD Radeon 6850
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 19:01:18 »

Hi Snakebyte ....

AMD and Nvidia have always been neck to neck in the race for graphic cards. Its more of a personal choice eventually.

I opted for a mid range card - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5670 (it had been voted as one of the best gfx cards for 2010) and Ship Sim is performing well on it. As I am not a hard core gamer and more into simulators I personally consider that a high end card is not a must for me. It depends on what type of gaming you are into and yes I would say that a high end card would also be "future proof" for sometime. At the moment the 1GB cards seem to be adequate but then again future games may become more demanding.

That you have quite a high budget, you could go in for a high end card. Please see the attached PDFs which lists both ATI Radeon and Nvidia cards. The information is from a US website and can only serve as a guide since prices in Europe may be different. I gather 200 Euros is about US$ 265. Your budget may even allow for the ATI Radeon HD6870

Please also bear in mind that you will need a good PSU (power supply unit) like Coolermaster, Corsair, etc to support your high end card. Please research this aspect before installing your card as gfx cards are quite dependent on stable PSUs with an adequate wattage. The HD6850 needs a 500W supply as a minimum

Please check this link which has details about the ATI Radeon HD6850
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6850/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6850-overview.aspx

Hope you can make a decision and all the best.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 19:15:09 by vin_sun »
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 19:12:44 »

Hi Vin_Sun,

Thanks for you information.
I want to do it good now. So from there a higher budget. I haven't the money to buy every year a new card. I'm just a poor student ;D

Never thought of looking on site not from The Netherlands. Maybe I find something there.
Yeah I know about the PSU. I know where me computer is from so when I find something i'm going to contact him. Maybe I need to change something than. But I will see then.

It's atleast going to be harder to make a choose than I first thought, :-\

Snaky

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 19:28:47 »

Hi Snaky ....

Yes, I do understand that things maybe a little difficult (moneywise) as a student.

I am not a hardware pro or a geek, but your system specs seem quite good and qualifies as a mid range gaming computer. I agree with you that it is certainly not convenient to buy a new gfx card every year but as games become more graphically rich the existing gfx cards can become obsolete. I did read that Intel wants to incorporate graphic features directly into their processors which may result in the slow death of stand alone graphic cards, but we may have to wait for sometime for that to happen.

You can also check out this thread I had started, where forum members have revealed their PC configurations. It may be informative for you.
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,21228.0.html
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 19:32:56 by vin_sun »

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 19:40:30 »

Hi Snaky .....

Here is that article about Intel's plans to add graphic capabilities to their processors.

Willmutt

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 15:29:47 »

Hd6850 is not a high-end card, it's in the midrange. But it will give you a big boost from what you have now. And it doesn't need much electricity either. I would go for that card, since you get good value for you money! :)

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 18:20:59 »

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help.
I have deceided to buy him. And I just did. I hope I get him friday.
Looked better to the AMD and compared him with some other graphic cards, and this is for me the best one. And me motherboard should handle it.

So now I can't wait until I got him. :2thumbs: ;D

I will let you guys know how she is.

Snaky

Chitch

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 00:17:51 »

Just for the heck of it, for what it's worth, I have the 9500 GT with 1 GB of ram on board it, runs like a dream for me...no stuttering, no hangups...pretty happy with it, especially the price tag.  I haven't had a lot of experience with the AMD Radeon boards, so I can't comment on that myself, but thought I'd offer my experience with the slightly bigger brother to your card.

Good luck with it, hope it runs great for you.

BTW:  Make sure your power supply will handle it too...had to put in a larger one for my card.

Jim

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 14:17:40 »

SSE also runs great at Nvidia GTX280, since I have that one. Going for a GTX 460 today is not a bad idea if you want a GPU that supports the new cool DirectX 11-features like tesselation (I wonder how SSE would look with that feature?). :)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-460-us.html.

moonrider

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 16:22:42 »

If you read some tech forums the 6000 serie is an overclocked version of the 5000 serie.
Not a new card, but old 5000 with some more power added by tweaks done at the factory.
But stll cheaper then the real 5000 serie, why?? beats me.

Rider

Os      : Windows 7 ATI Ultimate 64-bit
Cpu     ; AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Clocked op 6x 4.0 ghz
video   ; 2x XFX HD5970 Black Edition 2048 mb
mem     ; 12 gb ddr3 1333 mhz
HD      ; 2x 1 TB  (2000 gb)
screen ; Dell 27# W

Willmutt

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 16:44:36 »

If you read some tech forums the 6000 serie is an overclocked version of the 5000 serie.
Not a new card, but old 5000 with some more power added by tweaks done at the factory.
But stll cheaper then the real 5000 serie, why?? beats me.

Rider

You must have got something wrong, it's not the old 5000 series, it's a brand new graphics card. Fewer transistors on this version, which makes the card cheaper to build, but every single transistor is more efficiant! :)

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 09:12:45 »

SSE also runs great at Nvidia GTX280, since I have that one. Going for a GTX 460 today is not a bad idea if you want a GPU that supports the new cool DirectX 11-features like tesselation (I wonder how SSE would look with that feature?). :)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-460-us.html.

I was in doubt between the GTX 460 756mb and the AMD radeon 6850. But there are some big differents between them. The ati radeon 6850 scores better at the 3d mark vantage than the Nvidia gtx 460 768mb.(http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/1879/11/amd-radeon-hd-6870--6850-review-3dmark-vantage) and the nvidia gtx 460 1gb is more expensive compared with the amd radeon 6850, and is a bit better.(but with the games the amd scores 5.4% better than the gtx 460 1gb). And buying the amd saves me 30 euros(but I was luck because the prices are now almost eagle :2thumbs:). And i'm not such a heavy gamer. So for me the choose wasn't so difficult after all ;D
And the AMD uses less energie(http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/1879/21/amd-radeon-hd-6870--6850-review-stroomverbruik) :lol:

Snaky

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 13:30:16 »

Hi Guys,

I got me AMD radeon 6850, and installed it aswell. :thumbs:
And what a different. Works very good.
I got now a FPS of 118 in the begin page of SSE. But in game it's still 21... :'( So that not really worked out.. (atleast now I know it's not anymore me computer but just SSE)
But all me other games work a lot better. I'm only going to change me PSU. 500w is recommanded and I have 400W...
Just wanna let you guys know

Snaky

mvsmith

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 14:39:26 »

Hi Snaky,

20 FPS is quite good for SSE, and probably the best you can hope for unless you have a very fast processor. Unlike most games, SSE does a lot of processing by the CPU before the next frame can begin to be rendered. For that reason, the speed of your graphics card has less influence over FPS.
Motion pictures run at only 24 FPS even when played from a DVD.

As for very high FPS in other games, a frame rate higher than the monitor’s refresh rate does little good. Most LCD panels are capped at 60 FPS.

Regards,
Marty

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 16:33:57 »

Hi Marty,

I have a 60hz screen, but with some games I get around the 80-140(max). I'm not noticing anything that the graphics aren't great. It all looks very great with the high fps. The only think me Graphic card is getting a bit high in tempature(66 degree) with 50% cooling.  ??? (that's probally because I have a lower PSU than recommanded).
But i'm not dissatisfed with the result. It's better than I had. But maybe I suspect a bit more than I have now.

Now SSE isn't working anymore ??? :o I'm getting a crash file.. Any solutions for this??
Got fixed it. Had to make some changes

Snaky/Thomas
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 16:48:04 by Snakebyte92 »

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 21:19:21 »

The only think me Graphic card is getting a bit high in tempature(66 degree) with 50% cooling.  ??? (that's probally because I have a lower PSU than recommanded).
But i'm not dissatisfed with the result. It's better than I had. But maybe I suspect a bit more than I have now.

Snaky/Thomas

Hi Snaky ......

I am no computer pro, but I think you should look into the matter about your graphics card touching 66°C !! You better figure out what is the max operable temperature allowed for your card. You also say that your PSU is below the recommended specs. This can seriously affect your graphics card and the capacitors will blow and the warranty may not cover this. Results will be good as long as your gfx card works ! You require a 500W PSU. I see that in an earlier post you have mentioned you have a 400W PSU. Please see the attached requirements for your card.

If you care please visit this website http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html   and download a free .zip file called HWmonitor. It seems to be doing a fair job of monitoring various temperatures and also the max permitted temperatures.

Below is a screenshot of the one from my PC.

Regards
vin_sun
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 21:28:40 by vin_sun »

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 19:59:28 »

Hi Vin_Sun,

I already noticed that me PSU is under recommanded. I already orded a new one which i'm going to place in me computer Friday(i'm now in a test week...). If i'm setting me cooler to 75-80% I keep him on 56 degrees. So that is nice.
I'm also gonna buy a new speakerset :thumbs:. (logitech Z-506). And after that i'm done till next summer  ;D

I'm going further with navigation.

Snaky

mvsmith

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 20:24:47 »

Hi Snaky,

If the indicated FPS from your graphics card is higher than the 60 FPS that your LCD panel lays down, then depending upon the buffering in your video RAM, either only 60 of the rendered frames are shown, or each of the 60 frames on the LCD screen contains parts of two or more rendered frames. If the scene contains motion, either from panning or from moving objects, strange artifacts may be produced.

Regards,
Marty
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines