Hello Guest April 30, 2024, 23:07:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's be honest, it's all a bit rubbish really, isn't it?  (Read 11307 times)

VesselMate

• Forum member
Re: Let's be honest, it's all a bit rubbish really, isn't it?
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 00:11:23 »

FSX has all if not many of the professional systems simulated- especially if you purchase a PMDG aircraft; you CAN NOT fly a PMDG aircraft unless you go through all the checklists, do all the procedures and set up the FMC properly. Failure to do so will result in crashing before even lifting-off. FSX has been able to emcompass ALL of their 'professional' systems into a package that went for $59.99 USD. And yes, FSX is and can be used for PROFESSIONAL training.

Like others, Im perplexed why asking for the same type of features that are included in the 59.99 version of FSX would be considered the same as something in a multithousand dollar simulation program. Why can Microsoft come up with a high-fidelity, highly technical SIMULATION for 59 bucks, yet VStep can not.

The simulator part really is a thorn in my side though. Its misrepresenting the software, because no matter how you put it, this is a 'game' and you have to stretch your imagination pretty far to make this a 'simulator'. When a BIG company such as VStep , in my opinion, should not be in any way, misrepresenting what they are selling...

When at anytime can you walk into the bridge of a large vessel, push the throttles to full ahead and she sets off?? In the real-world, plain and simple, that does not occur. Generators need to be fired up first. Systems needs to stabilize before main engines are started or engaged. Fuel and lubrication levels are a BIG check. I could go on, but I think the point is made. :) 

Thoughts?? Opinions??
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:01:15 by VesselMate »

Zwegat

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 00:26:46 »

I have to admit, I'm also disappointed. I expected much more improvement compared to SS08. I miss the love for detail. But one should also mention, that this is also a money problem. I don't think shipsim is calculated with that many buyers the MS FS series was. So the amount of resources in developing the ship "simulator" are limited.  Maybe that's the mistake, since a better product could reach more customers.

Tavares Junior

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 12:54:09 »

PORL and JHB
are right.
Tavares Jr
** Open Sea - Radar observer - SMCP - GPS / Chart Plotters / Certifyed yatch Master

Knarkie

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 14:15:53 »

Maybe they have aimed to high with to little recources.

SS06 was a lot of fun, while the graphics where crap and a lot of other things to, but most things just worked. And most of all, it was a simulation, not a hybrid of simulation/game.

Mark

Cybernikes

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 00:15:57 »

Well I am, quite underwhelmed.

Myself; fifteen years in the United States Merchant Marine, offshore Hazardous Chemical Barge Captain.
My computer; HP quad core intel i975 extreme 3.33  processor, with 24GB of ram driving a thirty inch HP LP3065 professional monitor.

Neither of us were impressed. 'Siegfried' my pc was looking forward to a visual feast, instead it is graphically mediocre at best.

The physics are all wrong. A modern tug built to the 3 to 1 standard, that is to say, one foot width to every three feet of length does not roll like an older 6to 1 Navy 'Standard' tug.

A three to one is more stable in normal conditions, however in heavy seas she does not roll, but slams down bow first so hard you'll think your teeth will slam through the roof of your mouth.

Either way a graceful six to one or a modern three to one, neither are as pleasant in heavy seas as this 'simulation' suggests. Six to nine foot rollers in the Gullfstream can roll you out of your bunk, and nine to twelve foot swells are the the reason most small offshore tugs have a seatbelt in the Captain's chair.

Patton used to say there are no atheists in a foxhole, and I'll add, I never saw one in a tug in heavy seas either.

I was in 'Andrew', 'Gilbert', 'Hugo' and the 'noname' storm (re-dubbed perfect storm for Hollywood) and I can tell you the situation was each time dire. Each time we dove into the troughs we wondered if we'd come back up, and each time we slid crazily off the crests we prayed the tow cables would not jerk us backwards under the seas. In between we held our breaths and looked warily over at our barge that just seemed to be  topping it's own crest high above us as if any second it would close the gap behind us to slam down on our heads.

I get no sense of impending doom running a sim tug through hurricane force winds. It is just way too tame, the Gulf Stream off the coast of Florida will have the tug 'dancing' far more than that during a 'small craft advisory'.

And why so few American ships? Once American flagged ships were 80% of the world's fleet. These vessels did not just go away, they have just been re-flagged outside our borders to save our corporate scum from paying their fair share of taxes.

The most Powerful tug ever built is still the Coastal Port Everglades, 10,500 ship hp pushing the biggest hot oil barge ever made. The two of which make up a tug and barge combination, which come to think of it seem o also be missing from your game.

KiwiSailor

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 02:57:27 »

As a boat owner and having spent 13 years at sea I know there are alot of things that could be simulated. An example is transverse thrust and propellor walk. I don't think this is simulated in Extremes. Also weather is cool but what about tides and that sort of stuff. I know when plotting a course in real life you have to take wind and tides into account. I thought when purchasing this product I was getting something that resembled Flight Sim X. I have owned that programme since it came out and all flight sims before it. I fly real aircraft and can safely say it is a true simulator :2thumbs:. I have spent hundreds of dollars on scenery and Addon aircraft for FSX and was hoping that this simulator would be the same :thumbdown:. There is the making of an awesome product here with extremes and for the developer to sell addons such as new ports and vessels :thumbs:. At the moment I wonder if it meets the strict consumer laws here in New Zealand ???. Is it what I was lead to believe I was purchasing? No. Has the supplier moved quickly to remedy any problems?   Yes but in some cases made it worse. I.E I can not even drive one of my Fav ships because the bow thruster does not work one way.  >:(  To me this game has failed to deliver. I only hope that subsequent updates come quickly and improve the game to make it a true simulator.

wildduck

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 12:14:54 »

I mistakenly had thought that SSE would be an important improvement on SS08 but instead it was a serious disappointment.
Let's be honest : SSE is a mere game and definitely NOT a simulator, worthy the name,  as one would be made to believe when buying a DVD bearing the name of Ship Simulator. Unworthy the name of Vstep. I sincerely hope that a number of updates will bring some real improvement. Meanwhile I have removed the program from my PC. Sorry for the money.

Capt. Jim

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 13:23:48 »

Agree with u, I hope they read the reviews on the site and do something about it!

I though this was gonna be the game of the year .......  :sleepy:

Bromstarzan

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 18:07:59 »

Same here - huge disappointment. I wish all the best for Vstep and appreciate all work/time spent on this new title, but when it slowly sinks behind SS08, it shows the whole concept failed. Hopefully, they will pick it up and make major progress in the name of "simulation". It certainly is not a sim anymore.

sorry to say,
Broms

pusser_uk

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 20:13:21 »

I understand your fustraiton with the buggs, but come on! the people at V-Step are only human {I think  ;) } So give them a break.  ;)

Thank goodness the people who make kettles and coffee makers are still only human but all their stuff works straight out of the box!
/\/\ike

KiwiSailor

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 09:15:38 »

Well guys i have cracked it!!!! As a typical male,i did what one does when he gets something new to play with?? He fails to read the instructions!!!  :doh: After reading the little instructions that came with the game I have learned that I can control the POR bow thrusters with the keyboard.  Sweet I am at sea again in the big beast!  :2thumbs: 
HMMMM instructions.... i wonder if thats why I have to stand on my head to watch tv after I wall mounted it???? ;)

freeciv

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 21:02:57 »

Thank goodness the people who make kettles and coffee makers are still only human but all their stuff works straight out of the box!

Hrmmm... Nope!

Robots make the coffee machines  ;)
Gone fishing            Thanks pdpx7 for the great sig!

jeanfla

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2010, 18:01:50 »

I don't play to it, and i don't know where he is because it's a rubbish, it's true. And VStep don't delete the BEAUTIFUL picture of their home page.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines