Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 09:12:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Roam AI Ships  (Read 5344 times)

Nato26

• Forum member
Free Roam AI Ships
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:24:04 »

First of all i just want to say thank you to VStep for the great patch!

The AI boats in free roam make the environments feel much more lively than before, but i had a good laugh at this. I was told by someone else that the ships try to avoid the player in this version, so i decided to test that out (didn't notice it in any of the missions to be honest) and this happened...

Both ships avoided me and ended up heading straight for each other and freaked out. :o

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
Re: Free Roam AI Ships
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 10:44:40 »

Haha!

So AI avoid you, the player, but when it comes to AI vs AI they don't give a hoot ;D :D
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

fxmodels

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 03:20:18 »

First of all i just want to say thank you to VStep for the great patch!

The AI boats in free roam make the environments feel much more lively than before, but i had a good laugh at this. I was told by someone else that the ships try to avoid the player in this version, so i decided to test that out (didn't notice it in any of the missions to be honest) and this happened...

Both ships avoided me and ended up heading straight for each other and freaked out. :o

I thought traffic is supposed to avoid you in the new 1.2.2 patch or at least follow some semblance of maritime rules... In a greenpeace mission, where you had to identify the oil slick tanker I believe, the SMALLER coast guard boat was heading toward me as that new Rainbow Warrior III, and it promptly ran right into me... My Rainbow warrior integrity shot to orange and began to sink deep in the water and I had to limp to dock nearly decks awash.

So if traffic is supposed to avoid you I guess its somewhat random?

M

remarknl

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 23:31:59 »

I had great fun chasing a p6 in the harbor of rotterdam. it started to run in circles, and smaller circles and smaller... until it came to a dead stop.

ai does have superpowers by the way. I was in a storm on the atlantic and before i knew it there was an lpg tanker, but then it tried to avoid me and turned 90 degrees in like 4 seconds! now thats some ship control... :doh:
mediatechnologie @ HU

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 21:28:32 »

Yes, it seems like the game can not handle Ai-traffic. And for me so does that seems to be the reason why there is so little Ai-traffic in the game. But hopefully so will Vstep fix this and the game will in the future be able to handle Ai-traffic.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

John1000

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 01:07:41 »

can you find the whaleing fleet in antartica?

remarknl

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 15:01:03 »

can you find the whaleing fleet in antartica?

That would actually be a very interesting feature, but in my hours in antartica i havent found them yet. Not that i have been looking... next time i will search for them with the fortissimo. Although i have little hope.. :captain:
mediatechnologie @ HU

mvsmith

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 16:32:51 »

I thought traffic is supposed to avoid you in the new 1.2.2 patch or at least follow some semblance of maritime rules... In a greenpeace mission, where you had to identify the oil slick tanker I believe, the SMALLER coast guard boat was heading toward me as that new Rainbow Warrior III, and it promptly ran right into me... My Rainbow warrior integrity shot to orange and began to sink deep in the water and I had to limp to dock nearly decks awash.

So if traffic is supposed to avoid you I guess its somewhat random?

M

First, let me make the distinction between “avoiding” and obeying COLREGS:
AI ships will attempt to avoid you, if possible, under some circumstances.
They do not follow COLREGS because they don’t make the same distinction between the “stand on” and “give way” vessels. Depending upon the command they were given, they are either always the “give way” vessel or always the “stand on vessel.
The behavior of AI ships in that regard depends upon the commands given them by the mission creator.
If the AI ship has been given a command to travel at a specific speed, perhaps during a pilot transfer, it will not slow for traffic. If it has been given a “preferred speed” it will slow for traffic, but only within the its capabilities—it can’t come to a screeching halt.
Regardless of the speed condition, it will change course to avoid if possible. However it may be under an “ignore object” command so that the pilot boat can come alongside without causing a course change. If the pilot boat crosses the AI bow while approaching or leaving, it may get t-boned.
The correct management of AI is something that mission creators need to learn and apply. Even in the best missions, there are limits to what the AI can do in a deliberate game of chicken.
AI is very expensive in resources in SSE compared to SS08, were it was bad enough. In SS08 AI was guided by paths drawn by the creator. In SSE there are no paths. Each AI ship is proceeding toward a point under autopilot, choosing its own path to avoid obstacles. This makes AI much more computationally intensive. AI should not be used simply as moving scenery, but only as a part of the mission story.

remarknl

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 17:08:24 »

I do not agree.

AI should be part of the scenery because SSE is a simulator. In simulators the scenery is very important. I do agree AI is very processor intensive. We just need a slider to adjust the amount of AI our machines can handle. To bad SSE doesnt support multicore. This would solve most of the performance issues.

About the search results:
I didnt find the whaling fleet. However i did find loire(a (fuel)supply ship) and the oriental black(blue)bird!  :D
I will continue my search for a bit.

Maybe......

shiplist: http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,20953.0.html
mediatechnologie @ HU

remarknl

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 18:52:17 »

seems like there are no whaling ships in AI freeroam other than oriental blackbird.

Im trying to mod SSE to show whaling ships in the antartic so we can ram em. (Ramming is ok as long as you do it in singleplayer)
mediatechnologie @ HU

PoRL

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 20:11:07 »

Flying boat?

Don't mind if I do!!

On my boat, the crew's job is to make the skipper look good!

rennie

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 20:12:39 »

:o :o :o :o :o :o omg how!!!!!!!!!!!
Play roblox or you are a noob

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 20:58:28 »

When the game was new, we were some members who complained about that there were no Ai-ships in the missions(or at least very few, almost none). The answer we got from Vstep and the moderators was that Vstep had included so few cause only them with the most powerful computers would be able to run more than a few Ai-ships. And we were also told that when the new mission-editor will come we could put in as many Ai-ships we liked to. So there was only one reason to why there were no Ai-ships. In the latest update of this game so is there included Ai-ships in free-roaming, and this few ships do not realy behave like "normal" ships.

Now have the answer to why there is few Ai-ships changed a bit. So which reason is the real reason. Were we not told the complete truth before, or are we not getting the real truth now?

For me so has it become clear why there is almost none other ships in the game. The game can not handle Ai-ships, there is some errors in the programming of the game which make Ai-ships behave like they do. And as always, the truth will always comeout one day or another, and now it has. And the reputation of Vstep have not realy rised in my opinion. Vstep still can comeout of this lie, without totaly losing their face, but, then they have to start telling the truth and asking for an appology for telling a direct lie and they have to do it now.

I am sure about that Vstep can fix this and realy hope they are now days working with it. But they realy have to stop telling lies and if they do not know the answer so say so, instead of guessing.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

remarknl

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 22:16:02 »

When the game was new, we were some members who complained about that there were no Ai-ships in the missions(or at least very few, almost none). The answer we got from Vstep and the moderators was that Vstep had included so few cause only them with the most powerful computers would be able to run more than a few Ai-ships. And we were also told that when the new mission-editor will come we could put in as many Ai-ships we liked to. So there was only one reason to why there were no Ai-ships. In the latest update of this game so is there included Ai-ships in free-roaming, and this few ships do not realy behave like "normal" ships.

Now have the answer to why there is few Ai-ships changed a bit. So which reason is the real reason. Were we not told the complete truth before, or are we not getting the real truth now?

For me so has it become clear why there is almost none other ships in the game. The game can not handle Ai-ships, there is some errors in the programming of the game which make Ai-ships behave like they do. And as always, the truth will always comeout one day or another, and now it has. And the reputation of Vstep have not realy rised in my opinion. Vstep still can comeout of this lie, without totaly losing their face, but, then they have to start telling the truth and asking for an appology for telling a direct lie and they have to do it now.

I am sure about that Vstep can fix this and realy hope they are now days working with it. But they realy have to stop telling lies and if they do not know the answer so say so, instead of guessing.

i think you are right about the truth. vstep didnt spend much time optimizing the AI (actually they didnt spend much time optimizing anything but the waves.)

But the AI in most games is very stupid. for example in GTA pedestrians tend do jump in front of your verhicle instead of away. They didnt lie about the AI, most computers cant handle much AI because its bad AI.
mediatechnologie @ HU

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 23:06:13 »

Some of you really have no idea what you are actually talking about. And that's all I have to say on that.

I grant you your frustration, and your anger even. But claiming unsubstantiated stuff and speculating.. and coming to the wrong conclusions by twisting facts to arrive at some pre-determined wish for what you would like to claim about the game, isn't going to help one bit.  ;)

I'm not disputing the fact that it's not working as it should. But some of the remarks here just have to make me wonder what the intend really is. Contributing, complaining in a reasonable fashion, or simply flaming.

Regards,
Fred
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 23:10:08 by Mad_Fred »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 00:03:54 »

On another note, I seem to have been noting some ships spawning over eachother, then separating and glitching when one's ship drives near.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 00:04:51 »

On another note, I seem to have been noting some ships spawning over eachother, then separating and glitching when one's ship drives near.

No problem, stick it into the Bug topic and I can add it to the bug tracker.
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

remarknl

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 13:49:18 »

i think you are right about the truth. vstep didnt spend much time optimizing the AI (actually they didnt spend much time optimizing anything but the waves.)

But the AI in most games is very stupid. for example in GTA pedestrians tend do jump in front of your verhicle instead of away. They didnt lie about the AI, most computers cant handle much AI because its bad AI.

I dont agree with myself now. It was a bit late when i wrote it. AI in its current state is fun to watch but not realistic. Thats all i can conclude.
mediatechnologie @ HU
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines