Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 06:53:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teamspeak/ Ventrilo  (Read 1836 times)

Dazzle MN

• Forum member
Teamspeak/ Ventrilo
« on: October 04, 2010, 16:32:13 »

Hello chaps I was wondering if anyone knew of or would be interested in setting up a teamspeak for the shipsim online servers as when using the system online it lacks one major thing to that which us in the navy use all the time, The VHF. If people would be interested in this I would be more than happy to discuss it with them and to discuss the possibility of investment to a server for that, I would also put talk instructions on the programme as well as assigning new members to a Callsign unique to their country of origin. This makes the experience more realistic and means that tugs for example can be called up and the pilot boat chap would be the master of the port. I can be organised for persons to be given crash courses on how to use the system properly and get some order into the chaos that can sometimes be apparent on the servers with young joe crashing into anything he damn well pleases because he has little or no understanding of the collision regulations.

Please get back to me and let me know what you think.

Merchant Navy Deck Officer
MNTB Ambassador

Bromstarzan

• Forum member
Re: Teamspeak/ Ventrilo
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 17:40:39 »

Definately agree with your thoughts there...
I used to host Ventrilo and Teamspeak for our sessions in SS08 and it adds another dimension to the sim.
I have since long stopped typing on my telex printer :D

As I am not using SSE yet I can't help you on this topic other than support your intention. For some reason I am still "stuck" with SS08 :P

Will join SSE when Im ready. A permanent TS server with various channels would be possible to setup. Good luck anyway!

cheers,
Broms

Dazzle MN

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 20:21:12 »

thanks for the reply mate, if it all goes ahead I will be looking for people to set it up and run it while I am out at sea which is usually for about 4 months at a time, I would also like to hear from Captains, Officers and Cadets as to whether they would be interested in assisting in the running of the VHF as it will require people with a knowledge of COLREG and GMDSS/ RT comms in order to run it the way it should be. Hopefully we can get more young people interested in our job in order to make the Merchant Navy better as the new blood each year is the future.

MNTB Ambassador

mwoolley

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 05:15:46 »

I think this is a great idea.  The chat function takes away screen space and the typing is unrealistic.  I have tried both TeamSpeak 2 and TeamSpeak 3 on SSE.  One of the hosts posted the TS ip right in the multi-player server name.  Made it easy to join.

Also would be nice to have a professionals only server that requires a password.    I am tired of just about completing a difficult maneuver and having some boat ram me and sink me.  Not very satisfying. If such a server existed then maybe the IP address for the Teamspeak (or other internet voice protocol) could be provided to authorized players.

Dazzle MN

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 13:25:50 »

I was of the understanding that players that just ram people randomly can be reported and dealt with. Other than that, avoiding people less experienced is all part of the job, the amount of times I have heard two ships arguing with each other over right of way is ridiculous, especially when there is a rule saying that even if you are the stand on vessel there comes a point that if the give way vessel is not doing what he is supposed to, then the responsibility falls to the stand on vessel to give way.

basically means you are damned if you do, damned if you don't
Good seamanship is about constantly asking 'what if' and making a new plan in your head to act on if the action you take does not go the way it should because the give way vessel or stand on vessel does not abide by its rules set down in the IRPCS
MNTB Ambassador

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 13:39:28 »

I was of the understanding that players that just ram people randomly can be reported and dealt with.

Yep, they can.

See here:

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,19790.0.html   :thumbs:

Fred.

Dazzle MN

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 16:47:53 »

Once again Fred, many thanks, you are an extremely resourceful fella  :2thumbs:
MNTB Ambassador

Mad_Fred