Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 23:51:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic sunk by steering blunder, new book claims!  (Read 31721 times)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
Re: Titanic sunk by steering blunder, new book claims!
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2011, 12:30:27 »

Titanic could not set a speed record: she was not designed to be fast. Cunard set speed records.

x19Titanic12x

• Forum member
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2011, 02:43:39 »

Yeah, it's like Bruce Ismay told the Captain  "YOU MUST BREAK THE SPEED RECORD CAPTAIN SMITH, OR SINK THE SHIP TRYING" OTHERWISE YOU ARE FIRED( no the exact words). At the time Captain Smith, must of had a lot on his mind therefore he was weak minded and the words controlled him throughout the journey. Some people say, he made it off the ship....in a discusied so no one will see him. In the movie I remember, Ismay approached the captain and was questioning him why aren't they going top speed? That must of pressured the captain and eventual gave in. In one of the scenes you can see Ismay looking back at the Titanic from a lifeboat with a very guilty look on his face like "what have I done" expression.

And another absurd thing, People happened to have found a man on an iceberg off the coast of Greenland, 'analyzed' him, and 'found' out that he was Captain Smith.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 22:59:44 by x19Titanic12x »

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2011, 02:55:12 »

And another absurd thing, People happened to have found a man on an iceberg off the coast of Greenland, 'analyzed' him, and 'found' out that he was Captain Smith.

Insane stuff, I mean anything could be possible, so far the story is almost 100 years old and no one has acually undercover the truth yet. One thing one of us can do, I trace back to 1912 his roots, family tree. I heard he had a daughter by the name of Helen Melville. Maybe there is something there, who knows. Normally the Captain hold all the secrets who his ship and what happened.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:59:16 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2011, 17:22:19 »

hmm if the captain had survived then we would have known the truth!

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2011, 19:59:55 »

I wouldn't be too sure about that either ::)
Kind Regards,
Jack.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2011, 21:26:49 »

I wouldn't be too sure about that either ::)
Yeah: His great grand daughter might have come out several years after his death, and made up a bunch of lies as part of a publicity grab for a book she'd be writing! ;D ;)

x19Titanic12x

• Forum member
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2011, 23:02:17 »

Yeah: His great grand daughter might have come out several years after his death, and made up a bunch of lies as part of a publicity grab for a book she'd be writing! ;D ;)

If I remember correctly, all of his children died without having kids of their own, one in war. I think he only has indirect descendants.

barrown1990

• Forum member
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2011, 02:08:29 »

If Shipsim is any guide, we should know how long it takes for Titanic to turn..
In 20/20 hindsight, it may have been better to hit the iceberg head-on..

i agree. by the time they saw the iceberg they were pretty much screwed either way.
"take her to sea m murdoch. lets strech her legs!"

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2011, 02:52:37 »

If I remember correctly, all of his children died without having kids of their own, one in war. I think he only has indirect descendants.

I watched a movie on youtube called Murder on the Atlantic i think and it was about Lusitania being torpedoed by a German u-boat "U-20" As the U-boat was not having much luck they were thirsty for an target of big size, they had 1 torpedo, low fuel and supplies. So they shot a torpedo out setting it's speed at 30knts, as the liner was carrying ammunition at the time it was classified as a enemy ship. When the torpedo hit, the ship's speed was 18knts and funny thing they also yelled out hard to Starboard. She went down in 18 minutes, but here the captain did survive. When he was taken to court, he was going to be prosecuted because Naval High Command officer put a lot of dirt on him, but overall it was his fault for not doing enough to save the ship and taking so long to send the warnings. Overall in the finally result the theory was that the ship was hit by more than 1 torpedo, Captain did his best of his abilities and everyone went home. This was a mistake done by the U-boat's captain and this started the war with Germany, Americans and British were really angry now. The war With Germany took 5 years, 14 million civilians were incapacitated, I think 250 thousand American casualties and 15 or 14 million American soldiers returned home. Finally as the Russian Army was 200 meters from reaching Hitler as he married his love of his life, he pulled the trigger on himself to he head.

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2011, 10:44:35 »

incapacitated, you say? That's rather mildly put..  ::)

I think you need to get some proper history books though, mate. Cause you're getting your wars and their statistics mixed up a bit. 

That sinking of the Lusitania, which was presumably indeed carrying ammunition for the British army, was in 1915 and partly responsible for the USA to enter into WWI (controversially), and is thus not about WWII as such. The U-20 however was a WWII submarine.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2011, 12:16:36 »

incapacitated, you say? That's rather mildly put..  ::)

I think you need to get some proper history books though, mate. Cause you're getting your wars and their statistics mixed up a bit. 

That sinking of the Lusitania, which was presumably indeed carrying ammunition for the British army, was in 1915 and partly responsible for the USA to enter into WWI (controversially), and is thus not about WWII as such. The U-20 however was a WWII submarine.

It's been like 3 years since I read about this  :doh:

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

x19Titanic12x

• Forum member
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2011, 17:21:28 »

I watched a movie on youtube called Murder on the Atlantic i think and it was about Lusitania being torpedoed by a German u-boat "U-20" As the U-boat was not having much luck they were thirsty for an target of big size, they had 1 torpedo, low fuel and supplies. So they shot a torpedo out setting it's speed at 30knts, as the liner was carrying ammunition at the time it was classified as a enemy ship. When the torpedo hit, the ship's speed was 18knts and funny thing they also yelled out hard to Starboard. She went down in 18 minutes, but here the captain did survive. When he was taken to court, he was going to be prosecuted because Naval High Command officer put a lot of dirt on him, but overall it was his fault for not doing enough to save the ship and taking so long to send the warnings. Overall in the finally result the theory was that the ship was hit by more than 1 torpedo, Captain did his best of his abilities and everyone went home. This was a mistake done by the U-boat's captain and this started the war with Germany, Americans and British were really angry now. The war With Germany took 5 years, 14 million civilians were incapacitated, I think 250 thousand American casualties and 15 or 14 million American soldiers returned home. Finally as the Russian Army was 200 meters from reaching Hitler as he married his love of his life, he pulled the trigger on himself to he head.

I watched 18 Minutes of Terror, which pretty much is the same. (except it doesn't have your accidental WW mix-up  ;))
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 22:13:52 by x19Titanic12x »

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2011, 12:30:45 »

I watched 18 Minutes of Terror, which pretty much is the same. (except it doesn't have your accidental WW mix-up  ;))

hehe, I got very excited while writing it

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines