Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 07:46:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overall fantastic game, but with a fatal flaw (Control setup)  (Read 3362 times)

ksnarf

• Forum member

I raced home this evening from work to download and install this game, a game I've been watching and waiting for with anticipation.

Both the download and the installation were very smooth (10 Internet points awarded) and with some minor tweaks to my Video card settings this game looks very pretty (10 more internet points awarded)

SS2008 has sucked up weeks of my life, and I never thought that one of my favorite features would be gone in this newest version. I use a CH Products joystick for all my Ship Sim stuff and have enjoyed good response and fantastic customization of controls.

I'm not sure why you did it, but the ability to fine tuned either movements or engine is gone, even using precision controls (F12, awesome feature by the way: 10 internet points awarded) It's either all or nothing, or with precision controls on, i can no longer put in just a little thrust or rudder movement, as they must be overdone to get any movement at all.

I loaded up SS2008 to confirm that my hardware is working and indeed, the relative locations of my two engine controls is in line.

let me give you an example: in SS2008, if i set my throttle's to half, the throttle on the ship went to half, I could add or remove small changes to really get the feel of "being there"

With this version, with precision controls off, the axis don't act like axis, but instead like buttons with the only options being on/off

With precision control on, I have more control, but I can't just set my throttle to half and leave it there, i have to "dial in" what throttle or rudder I want then return the axis to neutral.  This change has made the game unplayable for me, thus I will be shelving this version and going back to my beloved SS2008 where I will stay until maybe a patch is brought out.

so here's the score

Concept design and execution (+1000 internet points)
Installation / activation and support (+30 internet points)
The missions look awesome (+50 internet points)
changing the wonderful control structure (-700 internet points)

Overall you come out ahead and I wish I could enjoy this game. Bravo! to the developer's for execution of an amazing game that I am sure will bring joy and entertainment to many... however I won't be one of them.

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
Re: Overall fantastic game, but with a fatal flaw (Control setup)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 12:53:12 »

Hmmm sounds interesting.

I have the Ship Console Unit, and if I find I cant use that, then I will not be very happy at all.
Im not going to spend nearly €400 on hardware only for the developers not to make it very compatible in the next game.
Lets hope they do make a patch  >:(

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 12:57:42 »

Hmmm sounds interesting.

I have the Ship Console Unit, and if I find I cant use that, then I will not be very happy at all.
Im not going to spend nearly €400 on hardware only for the developers not to make it very compatible in the next game.
Lets hope they do make a patch  >:(

Can anyone confirm if the Ship Console controller will work with SSE, please?

Ta very much
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 13:00:48 »

Yes if someone can please confirm this?
And not just saying "Yes it will work"
We need to know if it will work properly with all the functions it had from ss2008

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 14:22:54 »

Hi ksnarf,

Could you please register your license key in your forum profil, as your question is related to technical support, and since no support is provided to non-registered users ?

I know what you're talking about, I personnaly (as a beta tester) reported this behaviour, which has been corrected since. That's why I'm surprised : current official releases should not show this behaviour anymore, can you please give us your Extremes build version ?

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 18:14:49 »

Yes if someone can please confirm this?
And not just saying "Yes it will work"
We need to know if it will work properly with all the functions it had from ss2008

Guys,

I can confirm that Ship Console controller does work with SSE, you will need to assign keys etc in the control settings when using the controller for the first time though.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

andrej

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 20:55:36 »

Is it possible to use console in walkthrough mode? (engine controls,bowthuster and rudder)

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 22:38:10 »

Is it possible to use console in walkthrough mode? (engine controls,bowthuster and rudder)

I've just checked, and it's not possible to use the Ship Console control whilst in walkthrough mode. (this was the same for SS2008 as well).

SAS429

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 15:47:42 »

I just received my Ship Control Unit and it works nicely in SSE however I have TWO issues that I hope can be resolved in a future patch (both has been addressed above I just want to give my opinion as well)

1. Not possible to use the console in Walkthrough mode. I was looking forward to being able to stand on the bridge wing and control the ship without having to use the mouse. I know there will be some conflicts with keyboard commands but the joystick should be able to work anyway.

2. The control of the thrusters via the console. In order to be able to use the rudder and throttle levers correctly the "Precision steering" has to be turned off. That means the bow thruster button is simply an full power/no power switch. If I use F12 to enable precision steering while changing the thruster setting it works fine but then the rudder angle and engine settings change so that is not very realistic.

I am very satisfied with the ShipSim Extremes but these two things are very annoying and I hope they can be resolved in the future.

Best regards

Pontus Jönsson
Master Mariner
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines