Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 01:55:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: TFMs Guide to Crossing the Channel  (Read 20548 times)

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
Re: TFMs Guide to Crossing the Channel
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 12:32:38 »

To do a proper crossing we should need more details on the map to.
I know we cannot copy a admiral chart entirly, because of the copyrights, however a bit more info on the map would help.
This would also make sailing in some area, closer to the real stuff.
Marc
N

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 22:25:24 »

Hi,

As I have been working on  Dover-Calais and Calais - Dover missions I sailed today and took some photos of crossing traffic mid-channel and also some that show the markers for the Calais channel entrance and also the arrival course into Calais harbour - will try to get them into Photobucket tomorrow evening and post the link here......you may or may not find them useful.

regards,

Andy

andy_t

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 23:26:31 »

Hi to you all i  worked on the Dover Calais service for many years before i left in 2005. First of all i notice the missing bouys in the Dover Calais enviroment especially the Varne light ship, the Southgoodwin lightship CA3 CA4 CA10. When entering the port of Dover all ships call in at point ALPHA three miles from the port ,Calais it is the CA4 Bouy. I read with amusment as to the idea of dredging a channel in a direct line with Dover however the cost would be huge and on going 24/7 as the tides in this area would soon silt it up. The ferries on the trip to Calais try to stay to the South and on the inward trip to the East this prevents near misses,but one should never forget the rule of the road EVER !

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 22:10:13 »

Hi All,

OK, here is the link to the few photos that might be useful to this discussion, these were taken yesterday, it was a bit hazy -

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g480/ac_freeman/SSE%20Dover%20-%20Calais/

I have added some comments to the photos but let me know if you need any more information.

regards,

Andy

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 13:47:18 »

Hi to you all i  worked on the Dover Calais service for many years before i left in 2005. First of all i notice the missing bouys in the Dover Calais enviroment especially the Varne light ship, the Southgoodwin lightship CA3 CA4 CA10. When entering the port of Dover all ships call in at point ALPHA three miles from the port ,Calais it is the CA4 Bouy. I read with amusment as to the idea of dredging a channel in a direct line with Dover however the cost would be huge and on going 24/7 as the tides in this area would soon silt it up. The ferries on the trip to Calais try to stay to the South and on the inward trip to the East this prevents near misses,but one should never forget the rule of the road EVER !

I think we all know that things are missing, but not everyone has a powerfull computer. These smaller details are not in enviroments at the moment because the high polycount of each detail will slow (almost) everyone down and will result in massive FPS drops, making the game almost impossible to play.
To me the Dover-Calais enviroment is good and well detailed enough, but things just can't be made to the smallest detail, unless every player posesses a very powerfull computer with high computer specs.  ;)

Hi All,

OK, here is the link to the few photos that might be useful to this discussion, these were taken yesterday, it was a bit hazy -

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g480/ac_freeman/SSE%20Dover%20-%20Calais/

I have added some comments to the photos but let me know if you need any more information.

regards,

Andy

Nice pictures and thanks for sharing them!  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 13:48:59 by VirtualSkipper »
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

chris4890

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 12:53:28 »

:captain: Thank you, this is great!!!!!  :thumbs:

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 22:30:15 »

great advice, but i think ill stick to sailing blindly to dover.  ;)
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines