Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 02:03:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noticed a few things in-game, might be me or bugs ?  (Read 3565 times)

Jimpaf

• Forum member
Noticed a few things in-game, might be me or bugs ?
« on: September 09, 2010, 16:36:06 »

Earlier today I was trying the first Campaign Core mission out, you pilot the small delight cruiser towards the dock of Orient Star and the unmourn her to leave the harbor for Southampton.

Anyway, in the harbor at the beginning I was unable to keep the boat strait...
Posting a picture to explain the problem...

Look at this picture, the rate of turn is zero and point of steering zero aswell, and the ship was sailing strait, but still I had to keep the bow thruster to -25 rpm to keep the ship go strait.
Is there any crosswind effects ingame ?

Also, when I entered the Solent to make my way to southampton harbor, the chart did not match the real thing.
The safest way according to the chart is probably to follow the way I marked in red, around the island I marked in black, cause it's probably to shallow between.
But yet when I look around, there is no island to go around, just massive land mass.

It might be me but I didn't get the chart to match the environment

//Jimpaf

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Re: Noticed a few things in-game, might be me or bugs ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 16:58:55 »

Bramble Bank isn't an island, its a area of shallow water

the green just represents areas of really shallow water

Jimpaf

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 17:06:48 »

Bramble Bank isn't an island, its a area of shallow water

the green just represents areas of really shallow water

Well, there's the first problem.
The charts aren't correct, when you point out a shoal in green color, it's according to our navigational chart and most I've seen an island or land, not a sandbar or reef or similar.

Extremely shallow reefs/shoal are normally marked with a bouy, or at least marked in different kinds of blue layers on the chart or even with a number of depth on it, just to clearly state it's not an island, it's a shallow area.

This is an example of how our navigational charts looks like, both digital and non-didigtal
Extremly shallow areas with shoals and sandbars are marked in black dots, and a darker color of blue.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 17:19:11 by Jimpaf »

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 21:06:36 »

Hello,
You can eventually look for "nautical charts symbols", it will show you that the pale green zone is an intertidal area.
Sometimes wet, sometimes dry if it doesn't rain. Sky blue areas representing land is not usual.
Regards,
Luc

Jimpaf

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 21:32:19 »

Hello,
You can eventually look for "nautical charts symbols", it will show you that the pale green zone is an intertidal area.
Sometimes wet, sometimes dry if it doesn't rain. Sky blue areas representing land is not usual.
Regards,
Luc

Hmm no, when I look at the chart, all sized up and zoomed in, I see a white dot that looks like a shallow area, then like a thin deeper river or path and a small piece of island or rock formation just slightly northeast of it.
No symbol that would in anyway refer the area to a sandbar or shoal.

Anyway, it does not correspond to a real chart, I mean do your chart look like this ?
If they do I would be quite astonished, it would for me look like there's either wrong with my eyes or the chart.

Just look a the Google Earth satellite images, green are land mass and light blue etc are sandbars, either it's tidal water or not.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 21:38:00 by Jimpaf »

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 21:49:49 »

Just look a the Google Earth satellite images, green are land mass and light blue etc are sandbars, either it's tidal water or not.

A chart and a map are completly different, for charts white is really deep, light blue is a bit less deep, dark blue is quiet shallow and green is where it will dry out when it is really low, yellow is land and btw bramble bank is only dry for about an hour for the whole year

this is what the solent chart looks like

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 21:50:33 »

A chart and a map are completly different, for charts white is really deep, light blue is a bit less deep, dark blue is quiet shallow and green is where it will dry out when it is really low, and btw bramble bank is only dry for about an hour for the whole year

Don't they play cricket on Bramble during that hour

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 21:52:59 »

:C yep and i missed it, my dad has promised we will go one year in our RIB. when i go i'll be sure to get pics

Jimpaf

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 22:08:10 »

Hmm, then you are probably using a somewhat different navigational charts then we do.

On our rescue vessel we use a software from Transas Navigator, and this is what it looks like, doesn't matter if it's digital or paperwise, we miss the green color that would apply to me as a beach or a more shallow area by looking on your chart.

Might be me thats unused to these types of charts in SSE.

How our charts looks like.

And btw, I wasen't talking about maps   :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 22:12:08 by Jimpaf »

kanhf0514

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 11:13:46 »

About the first question, Thruster has no effect above 5 knots, more over, 25RPM of thruster almost has no effect at all.

[/quote]

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 12:07:16 »

Hi Jimpaf,
The charts which are made for professional use, that is British Admralty charts and those made by the Hydrographic Departments of other countries are copyrighted. For this reason the charts in SSE are only similar to the real thing and not the same as them. However, with the use of ones knowledge of both it is remarkably easy to tell the difference between land, sand or mud banks, deep water and shallow water. The only differences in colour between SSE charts and British Admiralty charts is that the land is coloured Grey in SSE and Yellow in the Admiralty charts. When I first went to sea ALL British Admiralty charts were printed in black and white only. ::) The only colours on the chart were little purple flashes on buoys and lighthouses/lightships. Changes take place steadily over the years so use your imagination to link the charts in SSE to reality.
Regards,
Traddles.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:18:02 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 12:23:47 »

Angus gives the forensic method... I will give the real world method.

If you hear a bang followed by scraping sounds, which give way to gurgling sounds then you've hit something. If in doubt, you will be able to confirm this by the ship filling with water.

In this event, you will know for future events (assuming you live long enough to see them) that the colour of the chart at your current location shall be taken as unsafe navigation.

REMEMBER: If your vessel sinks, Marmite, women and children first...
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

PoRL

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 12:58:01 »

Cricket on Bramble Bank?

Of course they do! (sometimes, for a little too long.....)
On my boat, the crew's job is to make the skipper look good!

Jimpaf

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 13:16:14 »

When I first went to sea ALL British Admiralty charts were printed in black and white only. ::) The only colours on the chart were little purple flashes on buoys and lighthouses/lightships..

Ouch, I should consider myself lucky then, can imagine black and white is quite a hell to see the difference on things.

I'll guess its all me then, I need to get used to these charts, since ours looks a little different.

Jimpaf

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 13:20:56 »

About the first question, Thruster has no effect above 5 knots, more over, 25RPM of thruster almost has no effect at all.

Yes they have, cause when I put the bow thrusters to zero, she starts to turn again.
Thats why I asked about crosswind effects ingame.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines