Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 19:21:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with 'Download Content' option  (Read 2365 times)

ScubaChris

• Forum member
Problem with 'Download Content' option
« on: October 15, 2010, 13:00:02 »

Hi guys,

I'm not exactly sure what content should be available under this section but when I click on Download Content in the main menu, I get an error message: 'ERROR CONNECTING TO THE SERVER- Your license key has not been registered on the forum, please visit forum.shipsim.com'

If you take a look at my profile here you can plainly see that my licence key HAS been registered on this forum (although I've no idea how the game checks for this).

Any help would be mucho appreciated  :D

C.

ScubaChris

• Forum member
Re: Problem with 'Download Content' option
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 17:55:50 »

Thanks for that mvsmith but it's still not working.

I read the comment:
"It is important that the key you register in your profile is an exact match to the one you used to unlock the game. The two are compared when you attempt to download."

Well I copied the code straight off the back of the game manual and re-checked it many times. According to my profile screen on this forum it shows that I have registered my code.

As for the possibility the firewall is causing problems, I deactivated it completely (which is not ideal) but it didn't make any difference.

As a last resort I will PM my code to Mad_Fred to be checked but it's obviously a valid code otherwise I wouldn't have been able to install the game.

*Sigh...* it shouldn't be this fiddly  >:(

C.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 18:19:06 »

Is this a Steam version?

ScubaChris

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 22:20:23 »

Hi,

Yes it is a Steam version.

I still have no idea how the game can check whether I've entered a code onto this forum. I could understand it if I had to enter my forum login details into the game somewhere but I don't.

C.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 22:24:25 by ScubaChris »

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 22:21:22 »

aha then your problem could be you have two Licence Keys now - when I got mine Steam gave me a second key

Edit: Go into Steam, there should be a CD Key button, it will vring up the key - press copy to clipboard, then paste into your account
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 22:23:04 by The Ferry Man »

ScubaChris

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 22:27:29 »

Aha, then that might be my problem. I'll definitely give that a go then.

I appreciate your help and I'm intrigued to know how people know this stuff because the manual that comes with the game is sparse on detail to say the least.

Cheers,
C.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 22:28:54 »

I got the same problem, not sure how I figured out it was ta different key though...  :doh:

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 22:51:23 »

Hi,

Yes it is a Steam version.

I still have no idea how the game can check whether I've entered a code onto this forum. I could understand it if I had to enter my forum login details into the game somewhere but I don't.

C.

Hi ScubaChris,

The game sends the key that you entered into it—stored in your computer’s registry, up to the downloader, which checks it against the keys in your forum profile.

If you have more than one key for SSE, you should enter all of them into your forum profile. The downloader  can select the right one.

Regards,
Marty

mvsmith

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 22:55:46 »

...I'm intrigued to know how people know this stuff because the manual that comes with the game is sparse on detail to say the least.

Cheers,
C.

That’s why VSTEP pays us the big bucks to answer your questions.

mvsmith

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 23:26:31 »

...but it's obviously a valid code otherwise I wouldn't have been able to install the game.

C.

Not necessarily. I explained in the linked post that there are very many keys that will unlock the game, but most of them would not be accepted into your forum profile.
Because of the way DVDs are mass produced, they are identical and cannot contain a unique key. They accept any key that produces a valid checksum form a specific algorithm.

To explain further:
That is why we insist that users register their keys before we give them much support. That is the only way we can be sure that they have a legal copy of the game.
Access to support is about the only incentive to buy the game rather than download it from a pirate site, or “borrow” it from a friend.
A cynic might say “The more bugs, the better”.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 23:40:51 by mvsmith »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines