Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 18:42:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whaling ships  (Read 10717 times)

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: Whaling ships
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 21:01:45 »

I would welcome the sight of naval forces there, but untill that happens it's a good thing someone is there to protect the whales. As endangering human life is concerned, I think that is a slight exaggeration. If anyone has acted aggresively it is the Japanese by running over the Ady Gil and almost did it again to the Gojira..
If you are going to ram a ship, do it to a ship your own size..
Indeed not all whaling goes on in there, I think the reason it does is because it is the area where whales annualy go for whatever reason..mating, calving, feeding.  The perfect place to find whales, exactly the reason it is a sanctuary. Much easier than roaming the oceans searching for them.  :)

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 22:28:06 »

Not at all..Just an exchange of views..  :)

Heikodewal

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 08:25:12 »

Another of those topics where it get nasty and they lock it.  ::)  :doh:

Nasty???  This was quite a civilised discussion, I think a nice example of how people can ventilate different opinions...

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 08:32:53 »

Yes, I didn't and don't see anything wrong with it. Opinions are just fine, even if they are strong ones, as long as everyone keeps it civilized indeed.  :)

@ Salty, you are right, there's things going on, on both sides, that can be spoken against, I grant you that.  :thumbs:

But human life is certainly in danger due to SS's efforts though..  remember the mishap with the RHIB launch, for example?  ;D

Ok that's just cheeky. I'm sorry.  ;)

Fred

Heikodewal

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 18:29:23 »

;D
Ok, I know what you mean!
I think the Sea Sheperd issue tends to heat up discussions.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 18:51:13 »

Yes Fred, I guess both sides occasionaly do wrong things (the RHIB launch was pathetic)  :doh:..
But all over the planet questionable things with animals are going on. It makes me a bit pessimistic at times..
Let's hope things get better in the future.. :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 19:51:08 by saltydog »

Casey13

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 20:54:35 »

they should be stopped, preferably by naval forces, but not by vigilantes who take matters in their own hands and willfully endanger human life to save animal life.

So what you're saying is that it should be ignored?
I see no naval forces getting involved, nor have I ever.

Edit- This is a general question. Unless your response is completely nonsense I will not respond.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 20:57:53 by Casey13 »

Heikodewal

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 01:45:22 »

Maybe it helps to put more pressure on goverments to help out?
I know that's already done but I think that Sea Shepard is ruining their own image the way they are acting now.
There must be a way somewhere in the middle.

For the record: I strongly disagree with whaling.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:47:57 by Heikodewal »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 02:52:49 »

So what you're saying is that it should be ignored?
I see no naval forces getting involved, nor have I ever.

Edit- This is a general question. Unless your response is completely nonsense I will not respond.

No, what I say is that vigilante justice is wrong.

If you eat meat, and I ram down your door at your house to stop you from eating pork or beef, would you welcome me or be angry with me?  ;)

Casey13

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 20:10:21 »

If you eat meat, and I ram down your door at your house to stop you from eating pork or beef, would you welcome me or be angry with me?  ;)

Actually, I wouldn't really care (unless it was raining). I have a friend who makes things such as doors.

PS: I'm not normal

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 21:03:00 »

Is it raining?  ::)

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2011, 21:29:23 »

Are you suggesting Sea Shepherd should change their name to "Meat Police"..?   ;D
It's not about eating meat, it's about illegal whaling..

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011, 22:12:27 »

Who said anything about only the illegal aspect?  :P

Cows and pigs and chicken are not treated very well either before they get slaughtered..  they have their hooves and horns and beaks and wings and such 'trimmed' without any aneastethic (spelling might be off) and such. Thet don't have the best accomodation either, most of the time.. So there's a lot of stress and pain, etc.. It's not like our meat is only taken from happy animals that had a great life all the time. At least the whales are free up to the point where they are caught, not that I think they should be caught at all, don't get me wrong.

Pain and suffering doesn't really care wether it's on one side of a border or the other, it's the hypocrisy often involved, that I find a bit silly at times. When people cry that it is animal cruelty..  but eat a steak at night that also was put on their plate after similar cruelty to other animals. 

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 22:27:12 »

I agree with that, animals should be treated better ,which is why I voted Partij voor de Dieren
 (a Dutch political party representing better conditions for animals)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 22:32:38 by saltydog »

Mslb_Eemshoorn

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2011, 23:11:20 »

There was in the mission editor also a way to make some static ships playable or not...... ??? i've read that somewhere..........

Eemshoorn

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2011, 23:30:48 »

Yes, we may be getting a bit off topic here.. :)
I wouldn't know about that, Eemshoorn..

mvsmith

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2011, 00:41:44 »

There was in the mission editor also a way to make some static ships playable or not...... ??? i've read that somewhere..........

Eemshoorn

I think you are confusing that with changing the controller type. That is explained in the Mission Editor Notes.

In the Mission Editor, A ship’s control type—Player, AI, or Static—can be changed at any point in the mission. You have seen that done in many of the campaign missions.
An AI or Static ship an be converted to a player ship, but the player can’t control it unless it exists as a Player ship—with a bridge and other useful stuff—in SSE.

Example: You are leaving port in a cargo ship when suddenly you find yourself on the pilot boat with the objective of overtaking the cargo ship and returning the pilot. What about the cargo ship? When you left her she was heading at full speed toward a point of land. When you catch up to her, she has altered course and is slowing for the transfer.

The cargo ship was converted to an AI ship with a safe goal and speed commands. That put you on the next available player ship—the pilot boat. When you transfer back aboard the cargo ship, she has been switched from AI to Player. The pilot boat is switched to AI, and goes home.
The cargo ship could only become a drivable player ship because she had been one.

A while back, I posted an example where you are driving the cutter on the Solent when she switches to AI and goes up to Southampton on Autopilot. You can wander around her but you can’t control her until she becomes a player ship upon reaching Southampton VTS.

Casey13

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2011, 02:17:01 »

Is it raining?  ::)

No.

Here is a wonderful picture proving my answer.

PS: Raw 4000X3000 image available to NO ONE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:19:09 by Casey13 »

Casey13

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2011, 04:22:48 »

Well this has gone WAY off topic.

Back to the topic, I would love to see the whaling ships as playable ships because then I could sink them when I am feeling stressed.

Pinguinboy

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2011, 23:20:13 »

Surely you can't ignore the fact that the hunting of whales is in an International whale sanctuary..
That's like shooting elephants in a national wildlife park..

Saltydog, shooting elephants in a national park has his reasons. The people there are black (just to relate how they get treated sometimes in comparision with us), poor and they get shot for what they do. Ofcourse it's cruel, but those people don't have much to live. Japan has the resources and welfare to live without whaling.

Back to the topic, I would love to see the whaling ships as playable ships because then I could sink them when I am feeling stressed.

You've got my back, Casey. :P

But human life is certainly in danger due to SS's efforts though..  remember the mishap with the RHIB launch, for example?

All crew members of Sea Shepherd make an agreement: They would give their lives for a whale. So if they deploy RHIBS, and it fails, they know they deployed it to save whales.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 23:25:57 by Pinguinboy »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 23:43:40 »

Right, when bigotry and ramming and sinking takes over, we truly HAVE gone off topic.

Best to put this one to rest then, if it can't stay serious and respectful.

Fred.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines