Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 21:51:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Incorrect Virus mention  (Read 5022 times)

CaptainM

• Forum member
Incorrect Virus mention
« on: September 02, 2010, 13:56:51 »

I recieved my copy of Ship Simulator Extremes and got off to a dodgy start,

Firstly there was no indication in the manual that I had to download and use STEAM to run this game, which I find annoying.

Secondly and more importantly I recieved a virus warning (Resident Shield) from AVG reporting that the installer was trying to install a Trojan Virus. This really shouldn't happen to any brand NEW game to recieve a virus warning, going to put a lot of customers off!

Man I prey that this isn't just the start of things to come or this is going on a one way ticket back to Amazon.co.uk

Really disappointed.

Matt
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 15:00:33 by Frank_VSTEP »

Denis

• Global Moderator
Re: Virus - Trojan Horse
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 13:59:56 »

Hi CaptainM,

The culprit, here, is your antivirus, reporting a false positive.

You should install/run the game afte having disabled your antivirus, until your antivirus editor updates his scan engine, so that it doesn't report Ship Sim Extremes as a malware anymore.

On  my different computers, using TrendMicro or AVAST, none of them reported anything wrong about the game.

TJK

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 14:03:55 »

I do not think that are a risk, cos AVG do not reconcile the file, it's new but you can rapport it to avg and see watt they say about it. be carfully Ship sim have no virus but the steame add ones can be taken as it, ask them about it my norton dos not find something wrong
TJK

CaptainM

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 14:30:55 »

Cheers both for the fast replies,

Im sorry for my little outburst back then, but it just came as such a shock that AVG would flash up telling me there's a virus. I've ignored them both as it must be a false positive. I'll report it to AVG so they can clear it's name, cheers both.

Once again thank you.

Matt

jwiqvist@hotmail.com

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 14:35:15 »

Norton 360 Premium is also showing that there it is a virus on the disc version.

I turned of the virus engine when I installed the game. When I had the installation finished I of course turned on the virus program, and then Norton tells it have deleted a file cause it tells there was a virus on it, so the game did not work. So I had to uninstall the game and reinstall it, with virus check turned of, and before I turned it on this second time, I told the virus program not check the game files of Shipsim Extreme.

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 14:45:23 »

Pure speculation, but I believe that Antivirus software believe Ship Sim is a trojan because it includes an online function, allowing you to link your ingame profile with your forum profile, and to download missions.

CaptainM

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 14:50:24 »

I just recieved this from their report (when a person reports a file as a false positive):

This e-mail is an auto-response message. Please do not reply.

AVG Research Lab has analyzed the file(s) you have sent from your AVG Virus Vault. Below you can find the results for each file. The final verdict on the file is either a correct detection or a false positive detection.

Further information about the verdicts are available at our website:
http://www.avg.com/faq-1184

"c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ship simulator extremes\3rd\SentinelKeyW.dll" - detection is correct

Best regards,

AVG Customer Services
    AVG Technologies

So it looks like Ship Sim is a virus?

Matt

osterob

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 14:51:36 »

When I used to use AVG I would get the same warning with some software titles related to flight simulation. Now that I think about it and what Denis posted, those titles had an online function as well. Maybe co-incidence, maybe not.

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 14:52:31 »

Nop, it's a false positive.

anyway, this SentinelKeyW.dll file isn't needed any more by the game, you probably can delete it from your computer, that won't prevent Extremes from working correctly.

Frank_VSTEP

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 14:59:47 »

You can sleep safe and sound, there is absolutely no virus in Ship Sim, it is just AVG and some other anti-virus software packages reporting erratically.

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
Re: Incorrect Virus mention
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 15:04:07 »

Yeah. I had AVG aswell but of all the false reports I switched a while ago. Like it's making sense that a brand new game has a virus....
 :doh:
Cadet Holland America Line

CaptainM

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 15:13:41 »

Cheers all for the help,

Also how do I get AA to work in game, so that the texture lines look smooth, can someone plese tell me how that works?

Matt

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 15:19:41 »

Cheers all for the help,

Also how do I get AA to work in game, so that the texture lines look smooth, can someone plese tell me how that works?

Matt

This has been discussed in another topic :

Hi Joey1,

I had similar problems.

I believe this is due to the fact that Ship Simulator Extremes is launched, by default, in windowed mode, and the Windows 7 fancy graphics "AERO" mode seems to prevent anti-aliasing to be applied in windowed mode applications/games.

Can you please try the following, and report if it works ok for you (it worked for me !) :

1. Set ATI graphic options with ATI control panel, as explained in my tutorial (http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,19579.0.html)
2. Download and install the free software called GameBooster : http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
3. Launch GameBooster, and choose "Game Mode".

After that, you should see your windows seven desktop changing (no more start menu transparency, for example). Then, launch Ship Sim Extremes, and your visual rendering in game should be much improved.

CaptainM

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 15:23:52 »

Cheers Dennis,

And just one last thing, is there anyway I can just have the game in a seperate file, so that I don't have to be logged into Steam everytime I want to play, I personally don't like Steam and would love it if I could just run it without the need for Steam?

Like instead of going thought Steam, using just a .exe file to allow me to launch the game, cheers.

Matt

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 15:26:25 »

I have no idea,

I've never had Steam on my computer, don't know how it works. Sorry, I can't help you on this one !

Frank_VSTEP

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 15:32:39 »

Cheers Dennis,

And just one last thing, is there anyway I can just have the game in a seperate file, so that I don't have to be logged into Steam everytime I want to play, I personally don't like Steam and would love it if I could just run it without the need for Steam?

Like instead of going thought Steam, using just a .exe file to allow me to launch the game, cheers.

Matt

After you have activated your copy at least once, you can select the "Go Offline" option in the STEAM menu. That will allow you to play the game next time without an internet connection or having to log in to STEAM.

CaptainM

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 15:46:05 »

Cheers Frank for your help, works like a treat :)

One last quickly, how can I do AA for Nvidia cards? Seeing as that method is for ATI cards? I've turned off window mode in Ship Sim.

I've also heard of a program called nHancer which can make people with nvidia cards be able to change there AA settings though it, i've tried using it but it needs an .exe file for it to work.

Cheers all.

Matt

BigBravo21

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 18:10:52 »

I got a anti-virus warning saying that Win32.heur or something was dangerous. I agree it's just the online comm stuff throwing your anti-virus (I have AVG) into a terrible wobbler. Just click ignore and everythings fine.
Secondly - I actually quite like Steam despite hating it at first. The other day I played Railworks. Steam had, in the background and without any input or even knowledge from me, installed a German test route for testing wagons and locos. Excellent ! It was just there ! What's wrong with that ? (undoubtedly, someone will tell me!)
Also, if things go wrong, Steam seem to fix things fairly quickly (please don't start a flame war about how loing "fairly quickly" is).

Chuckster

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 19:05:46 »

Guys,I brought this up in an earlier post.I have already reported this to AVG and they sent me an e-mail stating it was indeed a false positive and that they would update their database.
Nothing to worry about (although I was going a bit mental over it at the time)  ;D

CaptainM

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 22:05:37 »

Cheers both for your replies, after using Steam for quite a bit i've seen to enjoy using it now, I just didnt like it at first because I considered Steam to be sort of a "middle man" client, when I just wanted to start Ship Sim and it would play (without all the logging in etc..) but after fiddling around i've grown to like it.

Also cheers Chuckster for telling me that, really good to know thats it's comfirmed by AVG that they have got it wrong.

Cheers all,

Matt

petersen

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 05:44:03 »

Liebe Seefahrer , liebe schifs Simulator Ausgeber ,
Was ist eingentlich mit DEM wundebarem Spiel ? warum so viele probleme mit der Istalatzion ? Disk rein legen los und basta Oder Kaufen DVD-Version im Mediamarkt und wenn nicht geht mit der Instalatzion, zürrück abgeben, , weil Nicht Einzehlfall ES IST und viele traurige Läute mit DEM Problem Sich Schön befassen .
Ich warte lieber befor endlich alles reibungslos geht und Kaufe . Ãœbrigens das Spiel bei unserem Nachbarn Polen kostet satte 20.EU Ich sehe nicht an MIT ausggebenehm 39,99 EU NOCH mich schwitzen und mit Istalatzion durchkämpfen soger Auch nach Läsungen von Unseren Guten Forumkollegen zu warten und das und jenes  auszuprobieren . Ich warte  :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines