Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 07:02:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prototype: Tugboat  (Read 1913 times)

Smithacus

• Forum member
Prototype: Tugboat
« on: April 27, 2011, 22:35:31 »

If anyone is interested I found a good detailed report on the Bugsier 2 at the following link:
http://www.tugboats.de/index2e.html

The thing that has got interested is it's propulsion system, the Aquamaster rudderpropeller, or azimuth rudder. Does anyone have any operating tips on this type or is it best just to learn by experimintation. I found the tug won't turn unless the propeller is engaged. Each propeller can be rotated simultaneously or independtly which is nice to allow nearly a zero turning radius at low speed. I guess this is what it was designed for?

Another word on turns and course corrections: On the tug, or any ship with dual propellers, would you realistically idle or shut off one propeller in order to turn that direction (e.g. shut off port propeller and let starboard propller push boat in gradual left turn)? In game I don't think it matters and it can be done, but in the real world would you do this or is this too hard on the engines? I guess the only senario I can come up with is I have a long way to go and maintain a heading of 90 degrees but am heading 95 degrees and to adjust slowly without risk of hard banking or over-correcting shut off one propeller until I come about on the right heading. I know what happens in a airplane when one side engines shut down, but the reaction is much more complicated with more dire consequences. The whole point might be trivial, but I'm just wondering.

Speaking of tugs, in another topic I saw someone designing a new one. The grafic looked so good I thought at first that I was looking at miniature scale model photo. If ship sim extremes gets around to doing some vintage tugs my suggestion would be one of the Santa Fe Railroad tugs: The Paul P. Hastings or John R. Hayden. They were post-war tugs built for the U.S. Army in 1945 but bought by the A.T. & S.F. R.R. a few years later, repainted into Santa Fe livery and worked out of San Francisco (and seeing how we've got a San Fran environment I think one of these tugs would be a nice touch, or maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic of hisotry). These tugs are a little longer/bigger. The Hastings sank in 1992 but the Hayden still operates today. You can read about here:
http://www.ireference.ca/search/Santa%20Fe%20Railroad%20Tugboats/
If you name is not Rosie then stop counting rivets.

mvsmith

Re: Prototype: Tugboat
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 23:01:22 »

Hi Smitty,

Here is some info on controlling B2 in the game. I’ve not found time to update it, but it might help.

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,25031.msg332436.html#msg332436

Regards,
Marty

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 14:18:23 »

Hi Smithacus, as you can see in the added picture, the azimuth thrusters of the Bugsier 2 are forward mounted.
To turn gently it is sufficient to leave one of the propellers in the 0 position and turning the other at a slight angle.
I think the best way to learn to control her is by 'trial and error'.. :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 14:39:31 by saltydog »

Smithacus

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 16:30:18 »

Thanks for the link marty, and the photo, saltydog. I'm getting the hang of it. Now if I can just tow without crashing I'll be in good shape.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 16:43:21 »

One other thing about the Bugsier: she has no reverse
To reverse (or slow down) you turn the azi's 180 degrees..Just FYI.. ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 17:15:49 by saltydog »

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 16:46:46 »

..and in real, the clutches are always engaged for immediate thrust, but they work with a slippage up to a medium engine rpm.
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Smithacus

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 00:54:27 »

Incidently, the Fairmount can also be found at the website. http://www.tugboats.de/fairmount_summit_e.html (or click on reports tab if you are sent to the index page.) There are pleanty of other vessels there to muse over, as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines