Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 13:26:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Simulator Extremes without Steam  (Read 10446 times)

ferryenthusiast

• Forum member
Ship Simulator Extremes without Steam
« on: August 27, 2010, 16:54:28 »

Ok Guys, anyway we can have a list of outlets to buy SSE in the UK without being forced with using Steam.  Have seen and known some horrible experiences with Steam and I totally refuse to buy games that have digital DRM that require you to be connected to the internet or create accounts and be controlled by these companies as even if you select offline mode whenever there is an update more often than not Steam will simply re-download the entire game and on a 512K connection that would take hours.

I have searched everywhere (Amazon, Play) and even on the Paradox site there is no mention of Steam so by VSTEP implementing and not alerting potential buyers first they are misleading customers.

I had considered purchasing from VSTEP but at roughly 50% surcharge of Amazon & Play I feel that is just a little excessive and money grabbing and before anyone mentions overheads that is something that I do not agree with as why should VSTEP have higher costs that Amazon etc as they do not have a shop but just a distribution center that is already sending out to resellers.

nvanloo97

• Forum member
Re: Ship Simulator Extremes without Steam
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 16:58:52 »

sadly though, there is no way to buy it without Steam i thought. i would buy no Steam too if it was possible.

Ship Simulator 2008 and Ship Simulator Extremes online name: Captain Flint.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 17:02:29 »

There is,

Paradox versions only have Steam. Other versions do not.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 17:03:23 »

There is,

But how would you get one in the UK?

I thought Paradox was the UK supplier  :-\

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 17:05:45 »

I am not 100% sure of that is the case, to be honest.

But if so, then you can probably only order it from somewhere else, to be shipped to you, to avoid it.

And well, it's only a one time activation anyway. If one can come on this forum, one can activate it on steam.

It will not do anything else to the game as with some other titles that I also have had a bad experience with, as far as steam goes.

But it is what it is...

Fred

nvanloo97

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 17:06:03 »

if you Pre-Ordered it from VStep it that Steam?

Ship Simulator 2008 and Ship Simulator Extremes online name: Captain Flint.

ferryenthusiast

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 17:06:44 »

There is,

As the Ferry Man says, how can you tell as none of the outlets including Paradox are stating if Steam is or is not required.

Finn700

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 17:20:57 »

I personally do not even consider buying version of SSE which doesn't have Steam-connection, haven't bought a game for years which didn't have Steam on it. A lot of games from Steam directly too, they tend to have some crazy weekend sales.

It's extremely handy, if boxed game is Steam-compatible, then you have the dvd, but if it gets too much 'scratchy' and you get a new pc and so not able to install it from there, just download your personal copy from Steam.

This is just my personal view and a reason why I haven't bought SSE yet, it isn't on Steam's games list at this moment.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 17:21:38 »

Don't even really know what steam is still  :doh:

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 17:28:09 »

Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 17:30:28 »

Finn700

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 17:34:22 »

lol

I know all about that steam...  ;)
 :thumbs:

You may know everything about steam but how about Steam. :)

jeanfla

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 17:35:33 »

You may know everything about steam but how about Steam. :)
Mouahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahhah  ;D :D

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 17:36:37 »

According to the Steam Subscriber Agreement, Steam's availability is not guaranteed and Valve is under no legal obligation to release an update disabling the authentication system in the event that Steam becomes permanently unavailable.[86]

Doesn't sound good...

Something happens, we (well the DVD Paradox bunch) all lose SSE?

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 17:39:33 »

Anyone have any info on that?

sonarman

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 17:45:25 »

Only really a problem when you have to reinstall as it's a one time activation thing. And Steam is hardly likely to go bust anytime soon... last night over 1.8 million people were on its network!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 17:46:07 »

How many people go on holiday... and look at all them companies that have gone...

Finn700

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 17:46:37 »

VSTEP and we too are long gone before Steam ceases to exist, and in the worst case scenario, the boxed version works from tomorrow to eternity on your current comp if Steam if gone tomorrow, but managed to activate the sim today.

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 17:48:24 »

If anything happened to your copy, your always entitled a download version free from VSTEP providing you have a serial key.  :thumbs:

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 17:48:52 »

Doesn't sound good...

Something happens, we (well the DVD Paradox bunch) all lose SSE?

as far as i'm aware (feel free to correct me here) steam has a obligation to its customers that if its networks goes south (breaks) they must provide each and every user with the title they purchased on dvd and pre-activated (or atleast they do if you by 911:FR thru them, same with direct2drive)
yours,
smit
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

Finn700

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 17:52:04 »

Also Valve's Steam is more like a service, an important one (like dover-calais ferrys). If the current operator goes bust, surely another one tooks over and continues the service with the same clients.

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 18:09:29 »

Does SSE 2010 connect to Steam every time I want playing the game? And how about the activation if you want to install and activiate SSE 2010 for about 5 years from now? And who can guarantee that it will still pass then?

Biggles1975

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 18:25:54 »

You can run steam in offline mode so no you don't have to connect to them afher the first time.

cgarfield

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 18:51:53 »

I would like to make a few points about Steam.

1.  It's not going anywhere.  It is one of, if not the leading content provider in the US.  I have been purchasing games on it since it's inception, does the game Half-Life ring a bell?

2. Yes there were some issues early on with bandwidth, and getting pre-ordered games activated.  I never experienced any of those issues myself, but they are well documented.  But that was in the distant past.

3. You can back-up the games that you have downloaded so that if you have to re-install them locally on to a new machine, you can.  Which avoids having to download Gigs and Gigs of games.  Some people (like me) have limits as to how much they can download each month.  This takes care of that issue.  I have had to re-install ALL of my games several times over the past 8 or so years that I have been using Steam. Download speeds have always been at the max that I can handle, Up to and including 50Mb/sec.  They are staying current with the technology, in my experience at least...

4.  More and more games are being carried by online content providers.  Steam was the first, and is still one of the best at this business.  They will not be going anywhere soon.  I have purchased over 50 games from them and have NEVER had a single issue.  Maybe that is not the normal experience, but it has been my experience...

5.  No, I do not work for Steam.  Just a satisfied customer...

langev

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 19:29:39 »

There is,

Mad_Fred, I purchased SSE from GamersGate.  Downloaded and installed this morning.  I did not see any indication I needed Steam to play (at least not yet.  I do already have a Steam account, but SSE does not show up in it).  I always thought Paradox==Gamersgate, but it seems Paradox also has another digital outlet, Gameplayoutlet.com.  So correct me if I'm wrong, but the Paradox version that needs Steam is from Gameplayoutlet.com, and not Gamersgate??  Thanks...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 19:31:18 by langev »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines