Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 17:44:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stopping Engines  (Read 2527 times)

JamieC

• Forum member
Stopping Engines
« on: May 19, 2013, 03:32:17 »

Is it possible to stop/start the engines like it is in SS08?

Mr Robville

• Administrator
Re: Stopping Engines
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:22:39 »

Unfortunately not.  :-\

I don't know why it has been removed though. Many people including me certainly appreciated such features.

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 16:26:56 »

I also like such features.

I will almost stretch it so far, that it is such features which gives the "feeling" of that you are in command of what is simulated. (Of cource not just this one alone, but together with other small features, which I miss in this game).

One answer to why this is not simulated is that it is not realistic that you can start and stop the engine with a button(This answer comes from moderators here.). But, is it more realistic that the engines are simulated as  perpetual motion machines? My opinion is that it is not. I also of cource agree with that it is not 100% realistic that you start and stop with a button, but with little fantasy can you see it as a command to the engine room. Just my opinion.

Another such feature is refueling. I saw a You tube review of SSE, in the begining of the video so is the reviewer saying that he can not see the fuelmeter, but he think there is one cause it is a 'simulator-game' he said. And the answer I have got why this is not simulated is cause modern ships do not need to refuel so often so it is not necessary to simulate. But, I think it is. The only difference between a Nuclear engine and a 2hp engine is the time they can run before refueling.

This is again my opinion and others have other opinions.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 17:05:08 »

I always find it interesting that out of all the things the game is missing, the fuel meter and starting/stopping the main engine remotely are the most often mentioned  ;)

Depending on the lay out of the bunkers on board, the size of the bunker connection, capacity of the pumps, distance from shore tank to the ships manifold, the viscosity of the fuel and many other things, bunkering can take upto 8/9 hours (and often much longer!). So Wiqvist, would you really be staring at your screen for such a long time, waiting for a gauge to tell you that your bunkers are full?  ;D
It's the crew that makes the difference

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 01:28:28 »

An engine start/stop button would be nice, especially for smaller ships..
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:44:23 by saltydog »

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 01:49:31 »

So Wiqvist, would you really be staring at your screen for such a long time, waiting for a gauge to tell you that your bunkers are full?  ;D

Ballast, of cource I would not like to wait that time. But simulating refueling does not mean that the time refueling takes need to be simulated. I think it would have been nice if fuel consumtion was simulated, if you had to refuel ship and that you could not drive forever with all ships. Again this is of cource just my opinion and we all like different things.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 11:59:05 »

An engine start/stop button would be nice, especially for smaller ships..

With anything bigger than a RIB or a yacht there would not be an engine start / stop button (other than an emergency stop) on the bridge in real life.  On ships with controllable pitch propellers the engines would be prepared and started by the engineers and then control of the propeller pitch passed from engine room to bridge when the engineers are happy that everything is OK.  On ships with fixed pitch propellers the engine is prepared by the engineers and then engine control is passed to the bridge, when the engine telegraph is moved to the ahead position the engine automatically starts in the ahead direction, to go astern the bridge put the telegraph to stop and when the engine comes to a standstill move the telegraph lever to the astern position which automatically starts the engine in the opposite direction.

The same applies to a fuel gauge, on anything larger than a yacht the fuel would be stored in several tanks, then transferred to a settling tank and passed through a purifier into a daily service tank, all of this would be done by the engineeers, so a fuel gauge or a stop / start button on the bridge would be unrealistic.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 23:32:25 »

One thing I sometimes like to do in SS08 is sail the Portoferraio Angel in a bay in Phi Phi, shut down the engines and enjoy the sound of the waves and birds in silence for a while.. :)

- edit: the reason I use the word engines (plural) is because the Angel seems to have a mysterious second engine,
         which keeps on going after pressing the off button..
         You can turn it off with the  '   key..  :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 00:53:53 by saltydog »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines