Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 23:44:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone else want to work on ships?  (Read 2800 times)

Captain Jake

• Forum member
Does anyone else want to work on ships?
« on: August 06, 2010, 17:12:46 »

I'm not old enough to work on ships yet, still at school but when I'm older (About 21 so I can enjoy a little after I finish school.) I plan to join the Royal Navy, spend a few years there and see what's it's like to work full time on a ship. If I love it, which I most likely will, I'll apply to work on cruise ships (As I deserve a few free holidays). I want to work on a ship navigating or something such as this.
Ich bin ein PHP-Entwickler
Captain Jake's Fan Forum

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Re: Does anyone else want to work on ships?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 17:16:50 »

If I love it, which I most likely will, I'll apply to work on cruise ships (As I deserve a few free holidays). I want to work on a ship navigating or something such as this.

If you are after a "free Holiday", stay away from the cruise ships...  ;)

Captain Jake

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 17:19:35 »

Haha, I have been on with my friends brother, he works as a cabin steward, it's extremely hard work but I'd really want the experience.
Captain Jake's Fan Forum

oceandream

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 17:21:37 »

Work on  a ship???
ehhh no...
When i become older and  rich...
I will have my own giga yachts and airplane :thumbs: :2thumbs:

Join Greenpeace virtual today
We need more members too keep out forum active

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 17:23:19 »

Days off on a ship is a hoax!  :lol: If you want to have a lot of days off, you should join the merchant shipping. Most companies have a 1:1 sail/leave system nowadays, meaning you have 180 paid days off per year.
It's the crew that makes the difference

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 17:27:51 »

Hi Jake,

Like you I share a dream for a career at sea. Except, in the Merchant Navy :). I have one year left at school now before I can go to the Nautical College as a cadet. However, I've done the Day Skipper Course and been boating since I was 5-6 years old.

Jack :)
Kind Regards,
Jack.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 19:09:33 »

I'm not old enough to work on ships yet, still at school but when I'm older (About 21 so I can enjoy a little after I finish school.) I plan to join the Royal Navy, spend a few years there and see what's it's like to work full time on a ship. If I love it, which I most likely will, I'll apply to work on cruise ships (As I deserve a few free holidays). I want to work on a ship navigating or something such as this.

Hi Jake, if you want to be a navigating officer on cruise ships then joining the royal Navy (I assume you mean the Kriegsmarine?) may not be the best way to do it.  Often the certificates that you will get from the Navy will not be valid for a passenger or cargo ship and you will have to spend a lot of time training again.  If you want to work on cruise ships then the best way is to become an officer cadet with a cruise ship company.

If you get an officer of the watch certificate while training with one merchant shipping company then you can use the same certificate to work on any ship registered in the same country and getting a certificate for another country is usually a formality, especially if you have a certificate from a European country.

Captain Jake

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 20:37:22 »

Hi Jake, if you want to be a navigating officer on cruise ships then joining the royal Navy (I assume you mean the Kriegsmarine?) may not be the best way to do it.  Often the certificates that you will get from the Navy will not be valid for a passenger or cargo ship and you will have to spend a lot of time training again.  If you want to work on cruise ships then the best way is to become an officer cadet with a cruise ship company.

If you get an officer of the watch certificate while training with one merchant shipping company then you can use the same certificate to work on any ship registered in the same country and getting a certificate for another country is usually a formality, especially if you have a certificate from a European country.

Ok! Thanks for the information there =)
Captain Jake's Fan Forum

cptnchris

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 03:53:35 »

Im with you Jake, wither going into the USCG, or getting some type of captains degree or whatever, but im just a Freshman, Who knows what will happen, all I know is that it will have something on or near the ocean for sure.

jimmy1419

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 11:07:06 »

Jake,

Whatever you do and whatever route you take I wish you all the best!

One thing though, if you haven't already then get some seatime and make sure firstly you enjoy it and secondly it's definately for you.

My mate dreamed of a Naval career all his life but never actually had been on a boat till Naval College and then found out the hard way he got incurably seasick and couldn't stand it, needless to say he left and now lectures in IT and hasn't been near a boat since!  A silly point I know but worth bearing in mind.

Best wishes and good luck,

Jim
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:09:33 by jimmy1419 »

michael_taal

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 13:59:41 »

i want to work on the dredging the friend of my sister work on it at jan de nul on the Francis Beaufort

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 14:10:58 »

Yes,Jan De Nul,Dredging International are very good company's.
Marc
N

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 14:12:09 »

i want to work on the dredging the friend of my sister work on it at jan de nul on the Francis Beaufort

Dredging is good fun when you are young, I spent a year working for Boskalis, hard work, but great times.

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 01:24:41 »

A friend of mine commented on a photo of me and the Segwun saying that I was her future captain.  I don't know of it'll come true or not. 
All ahead full!

pdpx7

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 18:45:48 »

I too have a dream of working at sea when Im older. Merchant shipping or on the Fairmount Sherpa XD. I want to go to a maritime college in Rotterdam.

Buzinga!

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 08:35:34 »

or on the Fairmount Sherpa XD.

...See you in the interview room :evil:

Naa joking :lol:...i'm looking to try get in with a company which operates at Fleetwood Nautical College...literally just down the road and know many people there already :)

Just one school year to go! Can't wait!

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 17:42:47 »

Naa joking :lol:...i'm looking to try get in with a company which operates at Fleetwood Nautical College...literally just down the road and know many people there already :)

To be honest Jack, you would be better off going to one of the other colleges, Fleetwood is a good college, however, living away from home will prepare you far better for going to see than going to a college just down the road.  The other three big nautical colleges in the UK (Glasgow, South Tyneside and Warsash) all offer the same courses as Fleetwood and are all just as good as Fleetwood.

Captain. Mitch

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 18:48:10 »

Hello!

I have the same opinion...  ;)

Working on the ships is a great job, i like ships, so the best job for me would be a job on a ship, especialy on the cruise ships, i like them...  ;)

But, some positions are already "locked" for me, because of my eightsight on the left eye, i will probably wound be able to lead the passenger vessel, that means even a turistic boat, i don't even need to talk about the cruise ship or ocean liner where you are responsible for about 2000 lives.

And also in my country, there aren't some colleges about sea, or something like that.

But since the technology is making a huge progress, and you can ride a 300 meter ship without a perfect eyesight, all is on the computer, and i can see enough good on the computer, also my other eye is 100%, and all is OK, so maybe i have the chance.

Also i can do something else, that doesn't need to be the bridge job, but... you probably understand me.

Also the problem of the shiping job is that you are far away from your family and friends almost whole year, so if you do have a huge family, that would be a problem... for them that would be like you are going in the war...

So there are some good and bad sides, but as a fan, my life wish is to work on ship.

Maybe you remember when you are in the first class with 6 or 7 years old, and one of the first missions for you is to write and draw, what you would like to be when you grow up?

On that mission i respond: A ship captain!! And i draw a huge cruise ship.

Almost all of my friends changed theyr opinion trough the years, but i didn't i still want to be that, but my imagination is not so high like it was i can say "i land on the ground"  ;D.

But i can still dream and wish... THERE IS ALWAYS A HOPE!  :2thumbs:

PS: OceanDream, i already have a giga yacht! I own it already a lot of years, when i was little i get it for my birthday from my parents. It is about 20 cm, it has an small electric engine, it can cruise about 1 kn, and the best is, you don't need to pay the bills of putting it in the seas, you can take it home with you every time you use it. Only problem is that you can get on it!  ;D ;)

Kind regards.
Capt. Mitch

michael_taal

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 18:58:23 »

i want also go to the maritime college in rotterdam

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 19:05:28 »

I hope to go to Warsash in Southampton  :thumbs:

oceandream

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 19:06:51 »

Hello!

I have the same opinion...  ;)

Working on the ships is a great job, i like ships, so the best job for me would be a job on a ship, especialy on the cruise ships, i like them...  ;)

But, some positions are already "locked" for me, because of my eightsight on the left eye, i will probably wound be able to lead the passenger vessel, that means even a turistic boat, i don't even need to talk about the cruise ship or ocean liner where you are responsible for about 2000 lives.

And also in my country, there aren't some colleges about sea, or something like that.

But since the technology is making a huge progress, and you can ride a 300 meter ship without a perfect eyesight, all is on the computer, and i can see enough good on the computer, also my other eye is 100%, and all is OK, so maybe i have the chance.

Also i can do something else, that doesn't need to be the bridge job, but... you probably understand me.

Also the problem of the shiping job is that you are far away from your family and friends almost whole year, so if you do have a huge family, that would be a problem... for them that would be like you are going in the war...

So there are some good and bad sides, but as a fan, my life wish is to work on ship.

Maybe you remember when you are in the first class with 6 or 7 years old, and one of the first missions for you is to write and draw, what you would like to be when you grow up?

On that mission i respond: A ship captain!! And i draw a huge cruise ship.

Almost all of my friends changed theyr opinion trough the years, but i didn't i still want to be that, but my imagination is not so high like it was i can say "i land on the ground"  ;D.

But i can still dream and wish... THERE IS ALWAYS A HOPE!  :2thumbs:

PS: OceanDream, i already have a giga yacht! I own it already a lot of years, when i was little i get it for my birthday from my parents. It is about 20 cm, it has an small electric engine, it can cruise about 1 kn, and the best is, you don't need to pay the bills of putting it in the seas, you can take it home with you every time you use it. Only problem is that you can get on it!  ;D ;)

Kind regards.
Capt. Mitch

i said b4 when i get older and rich i will have my own giga yacht  and i will name here "Akula 503"  :2thumbs:
And that will include my private boeing 747-8 with a helicopter included too land on my yacht

Join Greenpeace virtual today
We need more members too keep out forum active

rjwhyte09

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 00:05:00 »

how long is it to be a captain like with CUNARD  cause in Scotland it is totally diff lol ???
VIRTUAL SHIPS & VIRTUAL SHIP LINES

> http://virtualshipsandvirtualshiplines.weebly.com/

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 11:23:09 »

how long is it to be a captain like with CUNARD  cause in Scotland it is totally diff lol ???

If you leave school at 18 you would expect to be qualified as officer of the watch by the age of around 21, you then need 18 months sea time before you can then sit the examinations for chief officer, whioch means that you could be qualified as chief officer by the age of 23/24, another 18 months sea time and you can sit the examination for master which means that it is possible to be qualified as a master by the age of 27, however, even if you qualify at this age it would be very unusual to sail as captain at this age.

In reality if you are working for a cargo ship company the earliest that you could normally expect to sail as captain as would be around 30 and even this would be considered very young, if you are talking about the big cruise ship companies then you should not expect to be even thinking about a captains job before you are 40.

andyfinn

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 14:07:50 »

Im Hoping to join Warsash in January  :captain:, if i dont get in i will keep studying my A levels.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 18:42:02 »

Me... i think as a ICT tec (i cant spell it  :'( ). but i think il stick to cadet also
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines