Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 20:58:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Self-Appointing Positions  (Read 11569 times)

deltaecho

• Forum member
Self-Appointing Positions
« on: August 05, 2010, 20:14:56 »

i didnt purchase the 2008 version of ship simulator but i did purchase the 2006 version. i read a post that i cant recall what the topic was and the post was saying how we will have people self-appointing themselves as harbor masters etc. in the mp of ss2008 how did things work out with towing and rescue services/groups? did people just come into servers and say, we will be doing the tugging for ships in and out of this harbor or was there multiple groups of people doing this? do you think it will be the same with SSE as well.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
Re: Self-Appointing Positions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 20:22:30 »

Hi there deltaecho,

I was 'right in the thick of' all this..what you're talking about.

I remember being busy from 8 in the morning till 10 in the evening. Vermaas's And Latitudes would line up from North Entrance stretching several 100M's sometimes out to sea. Many a time I had to dock both latitudes and Vermaas's without any assistance, and don't forget, this was with damage on and no pushing! (Although I did push sometimes....but required literally 0.25 of a knot so's not to damage yourself and the other ship. On top of this, don't forget, ships were coming out as well as in...so very often, I would be regulating traffic as Harbour master as well as towing.

As for towing services...I set IJTS up in the latter part of Ship Sim 08's life really. When the server software came out people became lost in so many custom made servers...and our once humble home sort of dissapeared into thin air. (At one time I could tell you who would be on the server at what time. I knew everybody that would be on that server!!). Anyway, as I said, things didn't turn out well at all when the server software was released...and for about half a year to a year, I sat not doing much, simply because there was nobody to tow. So, I really got fed up of this, and set up IJTS. Captain Matt was able to provide us with a server, and the old "Marseille Server" was re-born...

The IJTS site really took off...with over 10,000 posts and 122 members now. I still hope to have this carry on into SSE.

So...I'm quite proud to say, i've always done towing (2-3 years now!) and still intend to do so in SSE. And will still make it my mission to make Multiplayer as brilliant as it was when SS08 was born!!

Jack.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 20:35:14 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 22:14:14 »

sweet! so there was a official VSTEP server for every location that could be sailed? which server was the busiest and how many people did you see. from what i read you can have up to 99 people but i think thats a little to much  :)

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 22:21:19 »

sweet! so there was a official VSTEP server for every location that could be sailed? which server was the busiest and how many people did you see. from what i read you can have up to 99 people but i think thats a little to much  :)

Yes, there was a server for every location as far as I remember. The most popular servers were Marseille and Rotterdam, and when we were tired after a long day we'd head over to the Phi Phi server if we had the time for a ramming session :lol: As for numbers, the server would often be absolutely stuffed, to the stage where they'd start to get 'buggy' now and then...So V-STEP had to take them down every couple of weeks and restart them. I remember times where the Marseille Basin would be totally stuffed and have literally no room left. Sometimes you'd see ships actually moored up side on next to eachother, because all four walls were full. When V-STEP did take the servers down for the day, people would moan all day on the forum :lol:

The actual maximum capacity for each server is 25, if I remember rightly.

Kind Regards,
Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 22:25:29 »

the person i asked said 99 possible but no more than 24 recommended. full server must be pretty stressful

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 22:26:54 »

Ohhh very stressful when full...but great fun I tell you! :lol:

For me the stress is on my system...Thank God I get a new computer next week! :lol:

I'm hoping to see the same levels of activity in SSE as I saw at the start of SS08..that would be really nice to see again.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 22:29:29 »

i hope so too. can your moor your vessel anywhere or is it certain locations? and you can connect any type of vessel to another vessel? ex. pilot boat to the starboard side of container ship.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 22:39:39 »

Well. It depends what sort of vessel you're using and in what environment...For example, you couldn't pick a large draught ship such as the Latitude and sail down through Padstow (Cornwall). Simply because you'd hit the bottom straight away upon entering the channel.
However, you could for example use the Pioneer...hardly any draught and ideal to go closer to land, and out of the channel. (Rather than always having to navigate within it).

And yes, any type of vessel can throw ropes to another vessel...You just have to be a reasonable distance from eachother. Too far away and you won't see the connection points. Too close and it's not good for towing. If you're wanting to moor up next to eachother, being right next to eachother is ideal.
Big ships like the Vermaas or the Latitude have lots of connection points...so you can pretty much go wherever you like around the ship and get a really close connection point that suits where you're at.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 22:43:36 »

and what about pilot transfers. you couldn't go on others ships online right?

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 22:45:15 »

That's correct. However, people often 'simulate' a pilot boarding by the ship slowing down and the Pioneer pulling alongside for a few seconds...so although no 'people' transfer, people like to make it as realistic as they can. And I have to say i've always found it cool to do, even though you know nobody is actually boarding!

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 22:46:07 »

what J4CK didn't say is that unfortuently at the moment there are not any places where you can actually use your ropes on the dock, only on each other. mabey they have added this in SSE because it is quite annoying if you start drifting away from the dock.

Ralphy

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 22:47:46 »

what J4CK didn't say is that unfortuently at the moment there are not any places where you can actually use your ropes on the dock, only on each other. mabey they have added this in SSE because it is quite annoying if you start drifting away from the dock.

Ralphy
haha. that would be helpful

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 22:53:11 »

That's the only thing with Multiplayer. However, you do have mooring bollards in Single player (Ie missions).

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 23:04:07 »

I might ask Frank if there are going to be mooring bollards in multiplayer or has someone else asked it before?

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 23:06:09 »

i dont think they have and that would be a very good question to ask :2thumbs:

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 00:04:20 »

Ahoy deltaecho,
Why not putting your serial number into your profile on top of this page?
You'll get a lot more answers/help etc by doing so.
Kind Regards
Aad the Pirate  :captain:
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 00:08:03 »

Ahoy deltaecho,
Why not putting your serial number into your profile on top of this page?
You'll get a lot more answers/help etc by doing so.
Kind Regards
Aad the Pirate  :captain:
what do you mean by putting my serial number into my profile on top of this page

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 00:22:58 »

By clicking on the Profile button on top of this page (in the orange/Yellowish bar) you will come into a section where you can enter your SS08 and/or SS NH serial key.
That will give you:
a) access to the technical part of this forum and
b) a completly free vessel, the Jumbo Javelin
Don't worry, nobody else but you can see yourserial key.
Kind Regards
Aad the Pirate

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 00:27:34 »

oh i thought you meant post it or something  :doh: thanks but i did that i while back with my SS 2006 serial

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 00:29:47 »

Yep, but that will give you Not the benefits I discribed before.

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 00:34:49 »

i dont have ss2008 or NH

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 01:03:27 »

That is a good reason  :doh:

I'd just like to point out that boarding pilots is more difficult in Ship Simulator than real life :doh:

This is due to the fact that the big ship is often in one place on one computer, and in a different place on yours  :o

Also, there are bollards in MP, if you know where to look. By the Spinnaker Tower and Red Eagle (Isle of Wight end) berth.

The joys of piloting the Solent servers :doh:
Almost never here, try here.

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 07:04:39 »

Hi,

You still can drop anchors at any time, any place. This is quite enough to prevent your ship from drifting :-)

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 08:01:28 »

i do drop my anchor but red eagle dosn't have any, that you can use and i still my stern drifts away from the dock.
McG i've never seen them, i suppose im never expecting to tie up so i don't check. i will have a look later

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 09:00:26 »

Also, there are bollards in MP, if you know where to look. By the Spinnaker Tower and Red Eagle (Isle of Wight end) berth.

Really? I've never seen or heard of those...

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines