Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 22:12:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Price of SSE  (Read 48340 times)

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
Re: Price of SSE
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2010, 20:04:22 »

The one I get this week is 8GB...been waiting for a long time for it :lol:

7 more GB than what I have now! :doh:
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2010, 20:18:30 »

once i get back home im turning my 6GB into an 8GB.

Note:

Not all modern RAM works like that anymore, where you can just 'add a little'.

Some are actually like 'double or nothing' where only doubling it is gonna have an effect, not just 'sticking 2 more in'.

I'm no expert, but so I was told when choosing my pc. So don't just buy something and stick it in. Be sure to get good advice so as you don't end up spending money on something you can't effectively use.  :thumbs:

Reards,
Fred

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2010, 20:19:24 »

Note:

Not all modern RAM works like that anymore, where you can just 'add a little'.

Some are actually like 'double or nothing' where only doubling it is gonna have an effect, not just 'sticking 2 more in'.

I'm no expert, but so I was told when choosing my pc. So don't just buy something and stick it in. Be sure to get good advice so as you don't end up spending money on something you can't effectively use.  :thumbs:

Reards,
Fred
thanks for the tip :)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2010, 20:31:44 »

You're very welcome!  :thumbs:

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2010, 20:51:43 »

While it should work sticking just a gig or two more into the computer, there are some things to consider.

The new RAM sticks should preferrably be of the same brand, type and size as the old ones. It SHOULD not matter, but experience says that it does matter. RAM is the main contributor to strange bugs.

- the best thing to do is to get socalled "matched" ram-stics. These are multiple sticks packed together, and these sticks will be as identical as possible making it easier for the memory controller.

Sometimes theres even a difference in seemingly identical sticks, where some older ones are "dual sided" and newer ones are "singe sided" (the black memory banks are on both, respectily one, of the sides of the ram stick). Mixing single/dual sided sticks can confuse the memory controller and lead to strange behaviour. Or work just fine.

You also want to utilize "dual channel" or even "tripple channel" features on your motherboard. If you have the same ammount of identical sticks in the two(three) differently colored memory channels, dual/tripple channel should be enabled and you will experience up to 2x/3x RAM speed. That is why I am going from 6 to 12GB. I already have 3x2GB chips, so the only way to upgrade while still keeping my "tripple channel" on, is to get 3 more 2GB sticks (6x2 total, 2 in each of the three channels on my i7 mobo). This is probably why you were told what you were told, Mad_Fred. That, and the computer store might have wanted to sell stuff they had, instead of ordering up stuff they didnt have with a loss of profit (been there, done that).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-channel_architecture

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2010, 22:15:03 »

Yep, indeed.

I got an i7 with tripple channel 3x2GB sticks too.

Which means if I am gonna upgrade, I go to 12 aswell.  :thumbs:

ivanoile

• Forum member
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2010, 17:03:58 »

Will the pre-order of SSE have to download or it will come with CD on your adress??

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2010, 17:05:32 »

Will the pre-order of SSE have to download or it will come with CD on your adress??
what do you mean ???

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2010, 17:11:18 »

Ahoy Ivanoile,
Depends on what version you Pre-Orderd.
You have the choice between the boxed-version and the download-version
The boxed version is on a DVD and will be shipped to your (billing)address, The download version, well, what's in a name
Kind Regards
Aad
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2010, 15:53:14 »

Totally agree with your comments Dodweb, especially the first one - The new RAM sticks should preferrably be of the same brand, type and size as the old ones. It SHOULD not matter, but experience says that it does matter. RAM is the main contributor to strange bugs.  Ignore it a your peril!!  I've been around the darn things, computers that is, longer than I care to remember and remember even now the wise words of an ancient computer engineer from long ago - they don't always do what they say they will do, or to put it another way, they don't always do what it says on the tin!!!

Metman

Drumbeat

• Forum member
« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2010, 15:35:12 »

I thought this thread was about the price of SSE.

Anyway I see that the price on Amazon UK is £24.99 with a RRP of £29.99, this is for the boxed version.
On shipsim.com it costs €39.99 of which on the 20/08/2010 is £32.73 for the download version.

I guess what I am trying to say is it worth paying an extra £7.74 for the download version on shipsim.com that comes with the extra ship and a few extra missions (will the extra ship/missions be available for download later from shipsim.com for a price and how much will they be sold for).

Also when it becomes available for download have shipsim.com got enough bandwidth to accommodate the demand for the rush to download and play. I say this because I once paid for a download game from ubisoft and it took me four days before I was able to download my software after the release date.

I apologise if some of my questions have been answered in this thread but as I said above this thread has gone off track and I have not got time to go through all the replies.

If you want to post about how much RAM you are going to use with SSE post somewhere else this thread is about the price of SSE not how much RAM you have or going to use.

Denis I apologise I did not think you would get so upset about words with stars in them. Point taken. Also I did not ask you to go through them for my pleasure, if you don't want to go through them don't be a moderator.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 16:26:55 by Drumbeat »

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2010, 15:43:39 »

Drumbeat,

Please watch the language you use. We try to keep this forum a pleasant place, and your language is absolutely not adapted.

And, sorry, if you have got no time to go through all the replies, but I personnally do not have time to go through them just for your pleasure, to give you an answer.

This is your second post, and your first warning here. Just hope you'll understand that.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 15:46:50 by Denis »

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2010, 16:09:19 »

Current ships in the Shipyard (Elbe, Furie) are offered at €4.99 and IF the Sigita will be offered in the future I would personally guess it was at that price. That is a big 'if' though, as I know a lot of people on these boards have gotten their knickers in a twist over the idea of offering it to people who havent preordered. Personally I dont care if it is also offered for sale on the shipyard in the future.

I'd prefer the download version as I dont like to care for physical disks, but thats a personal preference. If you get the boxed version from Shipsim, which is a better comparison to the Amazon offer, youll also need to add shipping costs from the Netherlands. With Amazon youll have free shipping I guess? It all boils down to how much you want the Sigita. If you get it from GamersGate or Shipsim.com, youll get the Sigita at a higher price. If you get it at Amazon, you risk not getting the Sigita in the future.

There have been no official word about future availability of the Sigita for non-preorder customers.

Must say I'm a little dissapointed at Amazon here for not carrying the Preorder version, theyre usually quite good with that. Could also explain the pricedrop I guess.

Drumbeat

• Forum member
« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2010, 16:47:49 »

Hi dodweb

Thanks for your reply, I guess I will go for the download version just to be sure I get the extras and hope that when it comes to download the game from the vstep servers (or whoever they are using to host their downloads) don't crash with the inevitable rush to download and play.

I am surprised that you got to my post having to trawl through all the rubbish about how much and the type of RAM they use (this post is about the price of SSE take your RAM elsewhere). I voiced my opinion in my last post with a few words with stars in them and got my hand slapped. >:(

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2010, 16:52:10 »

You can politely ask people to stay on topic. You don't need to use insulting words for that.

Indeed you used words with stars, but if stars mask crude words, they don't hide their meaning.

Anyway, you voiced your opinion, I voiced mine, everything's okay now  ;)

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2010, 19:49:28 »

Current ships in the Shipyard (Elbe, Furie) are offered at €4.99 and IF the Sigita will be offered in the future I would personally guess it was at that price. That is a big 'if' though, as I know a lot of people on these boards have gotten their knickers in a twist over the idea of offering it to people who havent preordered. Personally I dont care if it is also offered for sale on the shipyard in the future.

You forgot the 6 extra missions that comes with Sigita.

When Furie and Elbe was available for purchase as an add on, there was no missions to go with them. Several people on this forum - whom I am very grateful - went to the trouble of creating missions specially made for Furie and Elbe.

I am one of the folks who have paid for the pre-order because I believe in giving my money directly to Vstep, rather than the third-party merchants such as Amazon (don't forget companies like Amazon and Play.com enjoy their VAT-free status, hence their cheap prices and undercutting their competitors  ;))
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2010, 21:19:23 »

Hear, Hear !!
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2010, 02:47:09 »

You forgot the 6 extra missions that comes with Sigita.

Yeah, I forgot that the Elbe and the Furie didnt come with missions and thereby forgot to point it out.

I've mentioned it before, but when I lived in germany, I often ordered stuff from amazon.co.uk instead of amazon.de. Even though the german site offered free shipping on blurays and orders over €20, .co.uk was almost always considerably cheaper even after shipping fees. When I really like an item or a service, I also much prefer getting it directly from the source, like in this case.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2010, 16:24:19 »

Also I did not ask you to go through them for my pleasure, if you don't want to go through them don't be a moderator.

And if you wan't to stay a member here, don't post in a manner that forces him to do that! He's not the one posting with that dispicable attitude is he?

And cheeky remarks like this last one are not acceptable either. I'd show a little respect if I were you.

Just so you know; You indeed don't have to ask us to go through your posts for your pleasure.. but we in turn do DEMAND of YOU that you post politely and according to the rules. You're a guest here, so let's have a little less attitutde or your visit shall not be long lived...

Denis' warning was your first, this is your second, since you both uttered profanity - and censoring yourself does NOT make it right - aswell as insulted a moderator. That's two strikes in as many posts. Almost a new record I would think. Three means you're out. Seems fair enough, right? 

Regards,
Fred

moonrider

• Forum member
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2010, 16:51:48 »

Moderators are just as us normal people with one difference, they offer almost every spare minute to reply to us or find things out and tell us.
They are NOT workin for Vstep, its their spare or free time so lets be nice to them huh.

Uhhh, had a nice weekend off fred???   lol

Rider

Os      : Windows 7 ATI Ultimate 64-bit
Cpu     ; AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Clocked op 6x 4.0 ghz
video   ; 2x XFX HD5970 Black Edition 2048 mb
mem     ; 12 gb ddr3 1333 mhz
HD      ; 2x 1 TB  (2000 gb)
screen ; Dell 27# W

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2010, 16:58:22 »

Hi Rider,

Yes very nice! A much needed break and it did me heaps of good!! Thanks for asking!  :2thumbs:

Fred.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2010, 17:05:22 »

Fred, you didn't perchance go to Sail Amsterdam did you..?   :)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2010, 17:19:50 »

Nope we didn't, but would have been nice too. We wen't to a concert/festival. (Not Lowlands though)

Spent half the weekend on a campingsite in the woods and one afternoon and evening at the festival. :thumbs:

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2010, 17:22:20 »

Sounds great.. :thumbs:

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2010, 17:25:29 »

Oh yes it was. Saw Sepultura, Ill Nino, Sick of it All and Monster Magnet.

Not a line-up that I'll see somewhere else soon again. (If it even means anything to anyone.)

But we're getting a bit cookie boxy here.. sorry for off topic everyone.  :doh:

Fred
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines