Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 08:22:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autopilot - Gps plotter- Real sound  (Read 3626 times)

dragongfx

• Forum member
Autopilot - Gps plotter- Real sound
« on: August 20, 2010, 20:47:45 »

Hello there.

Was wondering if there will be auto pilot / gps plotter in this simulator,

and how is the sound. Will you hear the creak of the hull when you hit the big waves?

have searched a bit but found nothing special about this.

Thank you.

dodweb

• Forum member
Re: Autopilot - Gps plotter- Real sound
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:35:23 »

I doubt there will be an autopilot. If there is no wind or water current to influence the ship, it will keep its course until you adjust something.

GPS plotter? I doubt it, as it would mean quite large licensing fees if they wanted to emulate an existing solution (Garmin for example), or time consuming if they decided to make it from scratch. For most of the private customers I guess the radar image and generic map will be enough.

I have no idea how sounds like that will work out, but as theres probably no realtime stress calculation going on throughout the hull it would be hard to decide when to play which sound and from where. The "wave hitting hull" sound in SS08 was, at least to me, quite random and very much hit or miss.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 02:38:20 »

Hi,

Thinking about this, some sounds such as creaking hulls or something would be a nice edition if done properly.

It wouldn't necessarily have to emulate the physics of the boat hitting waves ect, but some general sounds of that nature would be very welcome in my opinion :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 02:49:56 »

I agree that it would be nice, but without a way to decide what kind of sound to play when, I'm afraid that it would be the same sound every time a wave of a certain size came by, making a long voyage in high seas sound rather repetative (which was the case with the bow splash sound in '08 IMO).

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 02:51:57 »

Yes that's why I said if it was done properly :)

You would only need about 5 different samples that will sound every 5 mins or so :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 03:03:43 »

I doubt there will be an autopilot. If there is no wind or water current to influence the ship, it will keep its course until you adjust something.

Both wind and current dont have any effect in ShipSim. The only thing where you will notice drift, is during moderate seas. With the frequency of the waves in SS, you could compensate for set and drift by giving a few degrees of rudder manually  :)

It's the crew that makes the difference

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 15:13:20 »

All these things sound very nice but we mustn't get carried away, it IS a game not a true 'simulator'.  All things are possible - at a cost - which I don't think any 'gamers' would be prepared to pay.

Regards

metman

dragongfx

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 16:50:44 »

All these things sound very nice but we mustn't get carried away, it IS a game not a true 'simulator'.

Its a simulator >)

The most realistic simulator ever set on the high seas is scheduled for release on August 27th (from subsim.com)

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 00:27:29 »

All these things sound very nice but we mustn't get carried away, it IS a game not a true 'simulator'.  All things are possible - at a cost - which I don't think any 'gamers' would be prepared to pay.

Regards

metman

Not only that, but how many players would be able to play the game and understand what they're doing if SS would have ARPA, ECDIS, GPS and all those other fancy features?  :)
It's the crew that makes the difference

dragongfx

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 08:39:42 »

Hehehe.

All the players would have been  navigation officers when they had finished the Sim:)

Eike

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 11:32:32 »

Or close by killing them selve due to load and work pressure :D There is only a shipowner missing, yelling at the virtual master and telling him to load more cargo :D For 100% realism hardcore mode ;) *sarcastic mode off*
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines