Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 09:54:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: life like sinking  (Read 43860 times)

action123456789

• Forum member
life like sinking
« on: July 19, 2010, 15:08:43 »

do the ships sink like a regular ship inteads ok strait down ???

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: life like sinking
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 17:36:05 »

Don't know and if I'm honest I think most players who play the game seriously don't care either. :)

This is a ship simulator, if you want fancy sinking purchase a war game.

valleyforge

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 18:03:07 »

I'm not quite sure, but I think it would give the game a much more realistic feel if ships sank correctly. Sinking straight down isn't very....exciting. I hope that SSE includes real sinking ships.
Paul Watson is at it again: Doing absolutely nothing ;)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 18:10:53 »

But the object of the simulator is to not sink...

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 18:19:33 »

I'm not quite sure, but I think it would give the game a much more realistic feel if ships sank correctly. Sinking straight down isn't very....exciting. I hope that SSE includes real sinking ships.

If you were on a ship going down in the middle of no where on a dark stormy night would you be getting your camera out jumping up and down with excitement taking pictures? :P

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 19:26:56 »

If you were on a ship going down in the middle of no where on a dark stormy night would you be getting your camera out jumping up and down with excitement taking pictures? :P

Hell yeah! I would be straight out there in my raincoat, I for some reason love storms!
But... ummm... I probably wouldn't have my camera (my cameras still probably got salt inside it from the last episode  ::) )

Lol  ;D

Kind Regards

Matthew

Wipedout

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 22:40:05 »

I think his point is that some of the missions are rescue type missions - correct?  so if the ship is sinking it should sink realistically - not your ship but the ship in distress

I believe that would be the point of his question

:)

valleyforge

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 17:10:05 »

I think his point is that some of the missions are rescue type missions - correct?  so if the ship is sinking it should sink realistically - not your ship but the ship in distress

I believe that would be the point of his question

:)

I agree with this. And when i said "exciting", i didn't mean lets jump for joy, but more of I think i would add a certain level of excitement like in walkthrough mode if the ships bow went down and the deck rose at a high angle..something along those lines.

The Leviathan

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 20:19:34 »

I realy hope they have realistic sinking, the reason why I play this game is so I can sink the biggest ships like the Ocean Star  :evil:

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 20:37:33 »

Rammer.
Almost never here, try here.

Hudizzle

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 01:09:04 »

I realy hope they have realistic sinking, the reason why I play this game is so I can sink the biggest ships like the Ocean Star  :evil:

*Facepalm*

Alright, I'll admit I like to simulate a sinking every so often, act like I'm there, see what happens, use the imagination a bit and add a bit more "action", if you want to call it that, and I think a simulator should also, to some extent and within reason, simulate accurately what can happen if you sneeze at the wrong moment, push the wrong button, or fall asleep at the helm...
But there's more to Ship Sim than sinking ships. Ship Sim doesn't even have a straightforward way to sink ships in the sense that, say, Virtual Sailor does, which allows you to just push a button and start sinking. On top of that, I'm not sure why anybody would only use these games for sinking, the ships go down in less time than it would take to realize what happened (which is ultimately where the realistic sinking "feature" comes into play).

I don't mind a sinking every now and then, but something that annoys me is when people only ever use these simulators for sinking ships. Do a search on Youtube (I know YT is a terrible standard for such things) at any time on either Ship Simulator or Virtual Sailor, and you'll see plenty of videos of crashes, sinkings and disasters recorded in the games. Of course there aren't nearly as many sinking videos it seems from Ship Sim as there are from Virtual Sailor.. More than half of the videos for that are Titanic stories, Britannic sinkings and Poseidon capsizings, along with a plethora of other other sinkings and disasters, usually involving cookie-cutter cruise ships and any of the Olympic-Class or Cunard liners.
Most of these videos aren't even done that well, sorry to say, but it must be said. It gets old after a while, really.

You can only sink Titanic so many times.. At least get creative with it.. Don't just push the sinking button in VS or ram a ship in SS, push the record button, and throw together a short video with unfitting music with your mouse cursor, menu and IM chat windows and task bars all over the screen. Maybe that's impressive for people between the ages of 10 and 13, but not for people who want to at least try to take these simulators a bit more seriously, and actually use them more for their intended purpose. VS it seems has already mostly been taken over by children who just want to sink things, even if it's a monochrome block with a famous ship's name tagged to it... When great addons are made, the bulk of comments mainly go to more popular ships, like Titanic, and then many of those are just questions like "dose sink reallistic??!?!?!@?"
I actually got a comment on a video of my Poseidon addon for VS a few days ago that said "It didn't sink! Why did I watch this." I mean, come on...

Anyway, I'll lose my point if I go on more, so I'll just say...
I'm supportive of more realistic sinking as well, if it can be done, but please, there's more to Ship Simulator than sinking, time and resources must be spent on more important features, and if they don't manage to squeeze in more realistic sinkings, don't throw a fit, especially since sinking is not the point of the game.

Just my two cents...
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is.. Never try." -Homer Simpson-

Captain. Mitch

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 09:09:34 »

Well, i think sinking is not important in these game.

Isn't te objective of the mission to drive the vessel careful from port to port and passing the missions with safe ship??

I think that's the mission, if we are sinking it, the mission is failed...

And you need to have on the mind, that if you are riding Ocean/Orient star if you sink the ship, you are going in the jail, because you are responsible for passangers life.

But the only thing what REALLY bothers me is that ONE SMALL SAILING YACHT OF 9 METERS CAN SINK THE HUGE SHIPS LIKE OCEAN STAR, VERMAS, AGILE SOLUTION...

That is NOT Real Life, and these situations are possible, so i think these is a BUG!

Kind regards.
Capt. Mitch

larsdehaan

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 09:32:35 »

well maybe one or two mission where you are the rescue vessel and need to be fast and get to the scene of the sinking and rescue the crew and passengers or maybe a towing mission for an artificial reef

klmmicro

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 16:13:00 »

For rescue missions, realistic sinking IS important.  I thought this is supposed to be a simulator, not a simple video game.  Also, having an option to attempt to prevent sinking through repair would be realistic.  Things occur out on the water that cause damage that can sink you, but not right away.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 16:18:23 »

Damage control :C

But they got wussy waterproofs.

larsdehaan

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 16:32:55 »

Damage control :C

But they got wussy waterproofs.
i wonder if one of them let his zipper open lol

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 16:53:38 »

You should see what I had to wear.

About as thick as a T-shirt and just as waterproof/warm. Especially as I was only allowed to wear swimming trunks underneath.

mvsmith

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 17:21:32 »

Hudizzle has put it quite well.
I’ll add that, if you gave any real thought to the problem of “realistic sinking”, you would see that it is a tremendously complex problem.

Large ships in SS08 generally sink in one of three ways: They settle, go down by the head, or go down by the stern. This is usually determined by the location of the bridge, which is usually the last to go under.

To increase the realism would require the mode of sinking to depend upon the cause: Where she was holed, etc. That would add to the complexity of the model, and the excess baggage it would carry. That, in turn, has an adverse affect on frame rate and memory use.

Many ships, Liberty ships and T2 tankers for instance, sink because they crack in half. If a ship is to break up while sinking, the 3D model has to be made that way. That, again, requires it to carry extra baggage.

The developers are quite capable of making such realistic sinking possible. Thankfully they don’t. It is a bad idea because all other users who do not have a sinking fetish would pay for it in reduced performance or more expensive computers.

Some ships, like Jumbo Javelin, that carry real names cannot sink. Their owners don’t want to see them sink on YouTube.
Some companies or organizations, Like Maersk, or USCG, won’t give VSTEP permission to use their name or logo for the same reason.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 17:45:16 by mvsmith »

valleyforge

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 18:43:10 »

I understand this, but isn't it possible to make the way of sinking already included in the game a little more dynamic? I can understand why VSTEP doesn't want to make high-poly models so that ships can sink as literal as possible, but when going down by bow or stern couldn't the ship rise at a high angle or something?

Gamefan!

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 19:28:35 »

This gonna be good :D
Loyal Shipsim fan ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 21:53:16 »

but when going down by bow or stern couldn't the ship rise at a high angle or something?

Why would they do that?

krytsch

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 22:24:09 »

They won't listen - or cannot read. We already have a discussion concerning the high level of system requirements - so why do you keep asking for more and more useless functions, which require even more computing power?
I want to sail ships - not to sink them!!

There are really more than enough stupid SS06 and SS08 ship sinking videos to be found at YouTube - The Titanic crashing into the Vermaas, a capsizing PoR, Titanic and Ocean Star colliding etc. ... :doh:

Maybe VStep should launch a kid's version, with 150 feet waves, evil aliens, deadliest catch ships, at least 3 sinking ships in each mission.

By the way - has anybody seen the "seamulator"-clips at YouTube. Give it a try! Where can I buy this game?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 23:19:55 by krytsch »

Riddip

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 23:15:51 »

By the way - has anybody seen the "seamulator"-clips at YouTube. Give it a try! Where can I buy this game?

http://www.amazon.de/Xplain-Seamulator-Motorboot-u-Segelsimulator/dp/3950205926

But as far as i have seen, the gfx in ss08/sse are quite superior ;)

krytsch

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 23:18:43 »

Yes, the seamulator thing was a joke / its even worse than Virtual Sailor - but seamulator can show us, how lucky we are with SS06/08 - take a look
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:42:03 by krytsch »

mvsmith

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 23:49:21 »

If, in SS08, you Play > Mission > Disaster near Bergen you can watch Latitude sink completely. She does go down at a fairly steep angle, about 30 degrees, but only after enough of her is submerged to maintain her at that attitude.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines