Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 11:16:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: reverse problem  (Read 1218 times)

newtoship

• Forum member
reverse problem
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:55:54 »

I'm free roaming and using the "Cutter". When I put the throttle in reverse the bow of the ship turns right even though I didn't turn the wheel and the bow thrusters in the 0%. What's causing this problem ???

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
Re: reverse problem
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:28:45 »

Hello Newtoship,

There is no specific reason for that, and the ship shouldn't indeed turn. Nevertheless, the ship is only marginally course stable when making way astern, and depending on the height of the waves, some steering would be needed to stay on course. With the latest version, full astern on a flat sea, she will keep her heading up to 2 minutes without any steering at all, and I don't remember if any change to her stability would have been needed or asked in the past.

Regards,
Luc

cptdave1958

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 14:42:17 »

Well actually there is action when backing a ship. Depends on the wind and waves. On a single screw the ship will tend to turn to STBD while backing. This is caused by the prop wash against the hull of ship. Also, even on twin screw it can tend to do the same thing but most likely will back in a straight line. The wind, which not sure in SSE but in real life it does affect due to the superstructure...
When back a single screw the rudder will only take effect when you have sternway. since there is no water moving across the rudder until you have sternway, the rudder would be useless until then. At that time you can use the rudder to try and control the swing but most of the time you will have to use your engine forward to stop the swing and of course this would slow your sternway down.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 15:45:03 »

As Luc has said, in a calm sea the cutter maintains a straight course whilst going astern, but if there are any waves it will affect her course stability. I tried it out and she travels perfectly well at full astern in a straight line for over five minutes when the water is calm. This would actually be reflected in the real vessel in the same conditions.

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines