Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 01:57:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Greenpeace/SS discussion  (Read 21946 times)

Scottyk9

• Forum member
Greenpeace/SS discussion
« on: June 19, 2010, 01:52:50 »

So much more could be done if personal politics would be put aside.

The dawn, hazy with the fine blown sand of the Sahara desert, found us without any pursuing tail from the Libyan and Maltese Navies, and so we continued our patrol.

We encountered the Greenpeace ship Arctic Sunrise heading Southwest towards the coordinates of the cage we liberated yesterday. We changed course to intercept them with the intention of communicating with them, but they turned around and fled from us at full speed. We followed and we were able to catch up with them around 1630 Hours.

It was actually quite nice to have the two ships together and as we closed in on them a pod of dolphins appeared and began riding the bow waves of both the Sea Shepherd ship Steve Irwin and the Greenpeace ship Arctic Sunrise. My fellow Greenpeace co-founder, the late Bob Hunter, would have surely taken that as a sign for us to work together.

The Arctic Sunrise radioed us and asked what our intentions were and we said we were simply doing a photo-op, and by the way how about joining us to come save the fish.

“Arctic Sunrise, this is the Steve Irwin. We’ve located a cage with about 800 illegal fish in it and this will be a wonderful opportunity for our two organizations to work together,” said Steve Irwin First Officer Locky MacLean.

After a moment’s hesitation, the captain of the Arctic Sunrise Joel Stewart radioed back and simply said, “That’s a negative.”

“Ok,” said Locky, “Arctic Sunrise, thanks for the photo-op, have a great day. We’re off to save some fish.”

It was evident that the Arctic Sunrise did not want an aerial shot of our two ships together side-by-side so they began to go in circles to prevent it. However, the superior speed of the Steve Irwin allowed us to get the picture and then we broke off.

I’m actually quite happy to see the Greenpeace ships in the Mediterranean. They had not been here for the last couple of years but when they heard Sea Shepherd was coming to defend the bluefin, they mobilized the Arctic Sunrise and the Rainbow Warrior. They made a couple of failed attempts to free some fish, they lost two of their expensive inflatable bloats, and they had one of their crew seriously injured, so there is no doubt they are making a serious effort to bring attention to this threat facing the survival of the bluefin.

We wish they would consider returning to the Southern Ocean to defend the whales with us also, but many things have changed for Greenpeace over the years and that inspirational fire that once motivated my colleagues and I when we formed Greenpeace four decades ago has cooled considerably.

But I have to say that when I looked over at the Arctic Sunrise with the dolphins swimming before both our bows, I felt a twinge of pride as a founding father of Greenpeace. I know that Robert Hunter would have loved to have seen this and I know what he would have said if he did. “See Paul, the dolphins have recognized both ships and the fact that not a single dolphin has been seen in a week and suddenly when the two ships come together, they appear before both our bows, well, those delightful armless Buddha’s are wiser than we are and we never seem to listen.”

And so it was that we headed south back towards Libyan waters, leaving the Arctic Sunrise in our wake. It really is too bad. Together Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd could rock the oceans; together we could be a stronger force to be reckoned with.

As we headed southward, I connected my iPod and played “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” as a tribute to Robert Hunter, and all my old Greenpeace shipmates and marveled at all that we had accomplished since that day when Bob and I blocked that Soviet harpoon with our bodies in June 1975 in the cold waters of the North Pacific. Since then, so much has happened, both positive and negative, but most importantly, some of us have never lost that dream that each of us have within, and that is the power to change the world. All we need to do is dare to make a difference, and to understand that sometimes it takes doing the impossible to achieve the possible.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 00:57:36 by Scottyk9 »
Operation no compromise 2010-2011 Sea Shepherd anti-whaling campaign

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
Re: Ugh Greenpeace
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:01:41 »

Sorry but i feel that the captain of the Arctic Sunrise is a little off i think the Esperanza Captain might have joined in that would have been awsome i dont know why not

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:05:51 »

ON second thought the MV Arctic Sunrise is not my favorite ship the Esperanza is so frankly i dont care about what that ship does although their stupid for trying to make circles to stop from taking a pic

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 02:18:56 »

Are you for real, Scotty..?  If so welcome, :)   if not: stop this nonsense..

Scottyk9

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 02:26:00 »

Very much for real.

How was this non-sense ? Due to personal politics fish are dying.

I'm not denying the good greenpeace does but given the resources available to them, so much more could be done.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:27:42 by Scottyk9 »

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 02:26:55 »

Are you for real, Scotty..?  If so welcome, :)   if not: stop this nonsense..

I dont get it? Saltydog what do you mean is he real?

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 02:29:24 »

I thought he may actually be on a Greenpeace ship.. :)

Scottyk9

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 02:30:37 »

No, I'm not. Just reporting commentary passed on from the M/V Steve Irwin. Sorry for not making that clearer.

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-100618-1.html

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 02:31:14 »

I thought he may actually be on a Greenpeace ship.. :)

Yha right! LOL if you havnt seen before he doesnt like Greenpeace

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 02:32:47 »

Speaking of Sea Shepherd look at this they ramed a Fishing Net

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-100617-1.html

Scottyk9

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 02:35:13 »

Damn right we did! freed 800 ( or so ) endangered Blue-fin tuna in the process =)

Fisheries reached their quota on the 14th. Any ships catching blue-fin currently are working illegally.

Greenpeace was involved in a similar confrontation on the 13th

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/news/features/Mediterranean-bluefin-tuna-action130610/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:36:54 by Scottyk9 »

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 02:37:16 »

OK, calm down Paul  ;D

Scottyk9

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 02:41:38 »

OK, calm down Paul  ;D

haha sorry it's just something i'm passionate about.

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 02:43:18 »

Lol, I Know Im the same way but with Greenpeace So when you say something about Greenpeace, i feel i have to defend

Scottyk9

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 02:48:07 »

Common cause different tactics in the end we're both searching for the same goal. We'll get along ok haha

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 02:50:09 »

OK  ;) Just Please no more of this baging on Greenpeace, i dont bag on Sea Shepherd So dont bag on Us

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 02:57:57 »

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 03:02:10 »

WOW someone was trying to poke someone with a stick

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 03:05:04 »

Hey, those guys are used to insane Japanese whalers..they don't worry about Italian sticks.. ;)

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 03:10:12 »

Hey, those guys are used to insane Japanese whalers..they don't worry about Italian sticks.. ;)

I mean seriously who pokes someone with a stick

Scottyk9

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 03:11:03 »

I mean seriously who pokes someone with a stick

desperate criminals lol.

Scottyk9

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 03:12:06 »

WOW someone was trying to poke someone with a stick

The stick had a hook on the end. Infact a similar stick/hook injured a greenpeace member and they are currently on shore getting treatment.

It's pretty sick the lengths these illegal fishermen go too.

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 03:12:44 »

LOL

Hey Scott did you get my message by the way i would like you to join Greenpeace Virtual Scotty you'd be a great addition

http://www.greenpeacevirtual.com/forum.htm

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 03:13:49 »

The stick had a hook on the end. Infact a similar stick/hook injured a greenpeace member and they are currently on shore getting treatment.

It's pretty sick the lengths these illegal fishermen go too.

I think Tore posted about that on Greenpeace Virtual with a Activist with a hook in their foot

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 03:35:47 »

If the Italians were civilized, they would throw pizza..
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines