Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 09:17:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gulf Islands?  (Read 1760 times)

skipperbc

• Forum member
Gulf Islands?
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:23:26 »

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is a little frustrated with the limited geographic area of the Ship Sim environments. What limits each environment to such a small geographic area. Is there any chance we could see an environment like the Gulf Islands near Victoria BC? It's an amazing area to navigate with a diverse array of traffic; everything from pleasure craft to break bulk carriers and container ships, and everything in between (heavy ferry traffic, tugs and tow, military...everything!) If you could include only one "super" environment with future versions of the game, my vote would be for an area running from Cape Flattery to Howe Sound including Vancouver Harbor. If Flight simulators can convincingly model the entire globe, surely Ship Sim can model something like the Straight of Juan De Fuca / Straight of Georgia.

Sam

• Forum member
Re: Gulf Islands?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 15:34:37 »

I don't think it would be interesting to have a huge area in shipsim.
Just biceaus the sim is very interesting in manoeuvering.
But to limited in navigation.

A crowded harbour is interesting. But a whole straight, I don't know.

captainmark

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 16:01:14 »

I second that vote for the Gulf Islands, the southwest coast of British Columbia, and Puget Sound. I ran a 100' yacht up there as well as many smaller boats. Very busy. Active Pass, where you can have several large ferries simultaneouly, up to 1500 passengers and 6 knot currents can get really interesting. This is a pass between two islands that is shaped like an S, see my screen cap from Google earth below. With the 16 - 17 foot tidal range up there it's always challenging.

If your vessel is 100' and above you have to coordinate with Victoria traffic control, and then, when you approach Vancouver, switch to Vancouver traffic control.

I've attached some pics of the big ferry creeping up on my stern and another one that, if you're in the right spot close to the western entrance, for a bit is pointed right at you. A little scary the first time.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:11:17 by captainmark »

captainmark

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 16:02:37 »

Here's a Google Earth screen cap of Active Pass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines