Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 14:32:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Developer Diaries Discussion  (Read 22505 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Re: Developer Diaries Discussion
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 12:06:54 »

so, if we started a few more campaines, like one for some Dover-Calais ferries for the Environment, then we may get it?

Get what?

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 17:07:09 »

some Dover-Calais ferries for SSE, theres only 3 months to put them in.

Keeping her name flying high...........

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 18:21:39 »

Just a tiny reminder, please don't go off topic too much.  
This is just for talking about the Developer Diaries and what you liked in them!  :thumbs:

General discussions are completely welcome here :)   http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,15515.0.html

Kind Regards! :thumbs:

Matthew Brown
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 22:37:53 by Traddles »

Frank_VSTEP

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 13:43:23 »

Diary #2 is live and ready, feel free to discuss!

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 13:50:18 »

Another great post! Thanks Frank.
sAnd i'm sure that's going to answer a lot of people requests for vessels in the game  :thumbs:
But it does look very hard, 48 steps  :o

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 15:51:51 »

keep it gnarly

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 23:54:04 »

At last, Frank has given the answer that i've been explaining to some members in the forum who complain about gettiing static ships like Flying Cloud and Wachthaven III added to SS08 without proper dynamics. It all has to do with the timing of developing ships and because they're trying to get SS Extremes ready by its launch date, they could not study of making more ships or super packs for SS08.
Captain Jack, explorer of seven seas.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2010, 05:20:41 »

I noticed something when going back and reading DD #1:

There are some things where one group of the forum would say « what they really, really – pretty please with sugar on top want » where another group of equal size would say « what they wouldn’t touch with a large iron pole if we ever dare to put it in the game »  at the same time! I can say that from experience ;)

I dub it "The Titanic Wars."

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2010, 21:58:47 »

Well, I think that the Dev Diary #2 was just a repeat of what we already know. Nothing new.
Sorry!
Almost never here, try here.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 17:28:32 »

Sorry but calling these developer diaries is simply not fitting.

Personally, I would like the developers in the office to all write something about their experience in developing the new ship simulator game.

Give us the developers thoughts, not a short story about US! We want to know about YOU - what it's been like developing the game, what brick walls you've hit with the game, what it's been like as a developer in the VSTEP team.

We don't even know how many employees are even working at VSTEP. Who is it behind VSTEP and what do they do?

Come on VSTEP - you say you're listening so listen to this! :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 20:15:09 by Traddles »
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 17:34:24 »

Adam, as usual, well said!
keep it gnarly

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 06:46:28 »

Adam, as usual, well said!
I agree.

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 09:07:02 »

Sorry but calling these developer diaries is simply not fitting.

Personally, I would like the developers in the office to all write something about their experience in developing the new ship simulator game.

Give us the developers thoughts, not a short story about US! We want to know about YOU - what it's been like developing the game, what brick walls you've hit with the game, what it's been like as a developer in the VSTEP team.

We don't even know how many employees are even working at VSTEP. Who is it behind VSTEP and what do they do?

A diary is just a summarized list of events in a person's life. That's why we bout to not understand something but ask more questions about it. You don't only understand by reading every word on a line, but by picturing it in your head. If you don't like them to have developer diary and rather have them answer straightforward questions, why don't you just emailed them captainspencer , instead of raising it in the forum and maybe they would listen.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 09:16:27 »

Jack,

I know what a diary is and this is why I posted what I did above. I felt that what Frank is posting is simply not a diary, hence my post.

Also I think posting here in the forum is completely acceptable, since this is a topic for dicussing our thoughts on the Developer Diaries. Again, hence my post here in this thread.

I am happy that VSTEP are taking action by giving us screens and information, but the diaries need to BE a diary :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 14:17:43 »

I hear you CaptainSpencer. Just remember we would never be talking about Vstep unless we see something, or they say something. Also this is a forum full of issues of SS so we can not predict or make assumptions when they would respond and then take action into it even if its worth their attention.
I'm sure they're listening but its the only matter of when they would respond. I'm not saying that i'm with the developer's diary, but at least they are responding and giving us the updates because we would never know what's going on inside Vstep.

Regards
         K Jack

Frank_VSTEP

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 15:59:59 »

You are of course entitled to differ, but please do not misunderstand a diary with a developer's diary. Every developer has a different take on these, and this is the route we have chosen to pursue: a pleasant, fun article, giving you inside information about different aspects of the game's development.

Do you doubt the fact that we are listening? Then let me doubt the fact that you are reading! ;)
Read the last two diaries again, and then tell me you have not learnt anything more from the game, about the decision process within VSTEP or from how things work to create part of the game, the legal aspect, etc.?
What's more, there are biweekly diary updates coming, so bear with us, and by the time Extremes is released you will have a fun collection of articles with plenty behind the scenes info.

Feedback has been nothing short of great for our diaries, so - despite your appreciated critique - we are continuing in this style, highlighting different aspects of development and issues we have come across. The majority of readers appreciates this kind of article to the dragging tech talk of a single team member. That's what dev interviews with a specific member of the team are for (which we will be having as well, for all you tech lovers out there)

And by the way Cpt.Spencer, I am always available to answer any questions about VSTEP you might still have.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 16:11:03 »

Hi Frank
I was wondering if you can answer is the new game staying with Qviewer the new one looks
very good from the shots and short movies they put out.
                                                                                     Eric

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 16:11:45 »

Frank,

Thanks for your response - it's good to know you're keeping your eye on things ;)

However, I think calling these articles "diaries" isn't very fitting. Yes they do give us a very small insight to what it takes to create a vessel, but that was only a single step.

What I'm trying to say is that perhaps these should be calling something else, as my personal opinion of a developer diary must be rather different to yours or everyone else.

I just think it would be nice for the actual developers to post something on these forums - or if there is a time or language barrier (baring in mind you are Dutch!) then obviously Frank you must be the main man. BUT, and this is a big but I think perhaps an interview would be nice, ask your colleagues 10 questions about what it's been like working on SSE - what problems they've had to face and how they got into their particular job.

A diary in my opinion is a log of many different times. So for example in the devlopment of SSE it would mean for instance that the 3D Vessel model creators would give us entries of creating a model over say a two week period, so we can see how the model or perhaps the game develop over time.

Surely someone can see where I'm coming from?  ???
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 16:13:52 by CaptainSpencer »

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2010, 16:34:49 »

Dear diary,

I just hope this issue would end.  :lol:

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 16:48:43 »

There's no issue here Jack - simply opinions and thoughts :)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2010, 16:51:50 »

Quote:-
Surely someone can see where I'm coming from?  Unquote.

A simple answer to the question posed:- Not really ::) What many would call nitpicking. :P
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 16:53:35 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2010, 17:35:17 »

(baring in mind you are Dutch!)

I think you mean "bearing"  (baring is something comletely different  ;D  )

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2010, 17:46:28 »

I think you mean "bearing"  (baring is something comletely different  ;D  )

Well I had lots of things I wanted to put down on to the screen - so spelling mistakes were inevitable! :D

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2010, 17:50:59 »

Principle of this forum:
"Either you - forum member - are with us, following us blindly, listening to all what we say & taking it as a pure true & never impose your "brilliant" ideas here.  Or - you do impose your "brilliant" ideas, we'll find 100 & 1 proofs of that you're not right.  If you keep on resistance & proving of your point, you'll be considered here as a fool, insane, our main enemy.  And we'll do everything so at the end you'll just have to say: "Yeah, I was wrong, sorry.  :-[ "

So if one thinks that their Diaries are not what he means under "Developer Diary" (like a report of what was done during last week, what problems solved, what's planned for next week) - don't put your nose in to their business, as in almost every case on this forum the one who raises a problem, question, idea of "it'd be better if..." - always wrong.
In other words, "Boss is always right!"  ;D 

Yes, tell me that I'm not right.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 17:54:38 by Wave Music »
keep it gnarly

mvsmith

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2010, 19:00:15 »

Principle of this forum:
"Either you - forum member - are with us, following us blindly, listening to all what we say & taking it as a pure true & never impose your "brilliant" ideas here.  Or - you do impose your "brilliant" ideas, we'll find 100 & 1 proofs of that you're not right.  If you keep on resistance & proving of your point, you'll be considered here as a fool, insane, our main enemy.  And we'll do everything so at the end you'll just have to say: "Yeah, I was wrong, sorry.  :-[ "

So if one thinks that their Diaries are not what he means under "Developer Diary" (like a report of what was done during last week, what problems solved, what's planned for next week) - don't put your nose in to their business, as in almost every case on this forum the one who raises a problem, question, idea of "it'd be better if..." - always wrong.
In other words, "Boss is always right!"  ;D 

Yes, tell me that I'm not right.

You are not right.
If you were, you would be history by now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines