Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 11:46:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: SS on Consoles  (Read 2266 times)

K Jack

• Forum member
Re: SS on Consoles
« on: May 08, 2010, 10:47:46 »

SS08 is quickly becoming the game of the past whilst SS Extremes 2010 becomes the game of the present and possibly the future. From my understanding, just now it will reach a point where 3D games will be too powerful for almost every laptops or PCs, that even the best graphics (video) cards on them might not run these games which is worrying. You might switch to xbox, nintendo or play station 3 because they have more powerful graphics. This world is quickly becoming a virtual reality.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:04:52 by K Jack »
Captain Jack, explorer of seven seas.

Willmutt

• Forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 12:36:22 »

SS08 is quickly becoming the game of the past whilst SS Extremes 2010 becomes the game of the present and possibly the future. From my understanding, just now it will reach a point where 3D games will be too powerful for almost every laptops or PCs, that even the best graphics (video) cards on them might not run these games which is worrying. You might switch to xbox, nintendo or play station 3 because they have more powerful graphics. This world is quickly becoming a virtual reality.
Xbox 360, nintendo and play station 3 don't have more powerful graphics, instead most pc's have better graphics card, but xbox, ps3 etc can't play at as high resolution as pc's can. PC pwns xbox and ps!

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 14:16:17 »

Yea, but i never seen PCs running 3D games just as smooth as you seen them on xbox, nintendo, etc. Even if it does run on PCs smoothly especially when using a powerful graphics card, it can overheat your PC or laptop and it will cause the game to collapsed or shutdown by itself because you're using up the memory and the speed of the processor. That's why these games are not that viable to run on PCs.

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 17:29:23 »

My PC overheated???
NEVER
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 19:38:47 »

Here's what happen to me at one time. I was playing GTA San Andreas off my laptop, everything was moving smoothly until the game shutdown by itself. And the DVD i was playing GTA on was very hot. I couldn't remember what the problem was at first but basically my laptop could handle the game but not for long. Although there is no problem with graphics from my knowledge. It was better on my laptop than on the PC. Some (if not most) PCs tend to lack virtual memory to run these games even if some of them are missing graphics card. If PCs and laptops are running on the same hardware as of those on xbox, wii & playstation, then how come they tend to be slow or sometimes shutdown? For games like Ship Simulator Extremes, it maybe run better on xbox because the graphics and memory are more expanded than on PCs. Laptops would maybe fall in the middle of this. But if anybody has an  !:) about my problem earlier, i'm all ears.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 19:41:26 by K Jack »

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 06:02:42 »

OK, i need your favour. Compare the Xbox with my system. Here it is:

2.0 GHz Intel Pentium T4200 processor
2GB (4GB maximum) DDR2 RAM @ 800 MHz
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500M graphics card (up to 830 MB shared)

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 17:30:33 »

OK, i need your favour. Compare the Xbox with my system. Here it is:

2.0 GHz Intel Pentium T4200 processor
2GB (4GB maximum) DDR2 RAM @ 800 MHz
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500M graphics card (up to 830 MB shared)
What kind of OS does your machine use? Win' XP, Win' Vista or Win' 7 ?
For anything higher than Win' XP your mem is too low, even for SS08 'cause your graphic card uses shared = system memory.
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

mvsmith

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 18:26:07 »

Gentlemen,

I’ve split this discussion digression and moved it to Small Talk because it does not belong on Development corner, and is irrelevant because it won’t happen.

It should be obvious that many features of SS, mission creation for one, are not feasible on a console.

Regards,
Marty
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 18:27:59 by mvsmith »

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 19:51:45 »

How about on iPod? I've said before about Vstep teaming up with Laminar Research (X-Plane) and making a cut-down version of Ship Sim. I certainly haven't seen anything like it yet.

Would make a tidy little earner if you ask me... And there is the capability to run it.

Obviously, you can't have all the features of SS, but some simple missions with RJ4 and Pioneer, or maybe PoR if there's the performance. I need to get photoshop out again, methinks.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 19:57:33 by McGherkin »
Almost never here, try here.

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 19:58:08 »

How about on iPod? I've said before about Vstep teaming up with Laminar Research (X-Plane) and making a cut-down version of Ship Sim. I certainly haven't seen anything like it yet.

It would drain the battery, may cause it to crash and make it generally get hot i expect

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 20:02:39 »

Not more than X-plane. I'm not expecting waves, wakes or reflections, but some simple free roam would be wonderful, and would sell well. Hell, you could even use the X-plane engine, it has vessels modelled in it, it would be simple to do them as player craft.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 20:18:40 »

Trust me, there are ship/powerboating games on the iPod, but they are hideously gamey or without serious purpose. The physics engine already exists for SSi, but it simply hasn't been put to use. I can't post screenshots because I'm not on my iPod, but there is a quite highly detailed aircraft carrier in X-plane, all that needs to be done really is make it into an aircraft and play with the dynamics a bit until it works.

For a while now, I have been looking at highly detailed models on the 3DVIA app, with no problem.

Like I said, I'm not looking for amazing graphics, I'm looking for a mildly realistic pick-up-and-play ship simulator.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 20:20:15 by McGherkin »

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 20:51:56 »

Your system doesn't compare to an Xbox, it's not close to the same processing power. (I don't know much about Intel graphics but I know they're not the best for gaming). By the way, your system is under spec for ShipSim.

Thanks DarkChestOfWonders. I did tell myself that it wasn't good for gaming. The only time SS08 will play best under these specs is when a put the weather on sunny or when i'm driving in open ocean.

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 21:06:18 »

Yea, but i never seen PCs running 3D games just as smooth as you seen them on xbox, nintendo, etc. Even if it does run on PCs smoothly especially when using a powerful graphics card, it can overheat your PC or laptop and it will cause the game to collapsed or shutdown by itself because you're using up the memory and the speed of the processor. That's why these games are not that viable to run on PCs.

Wowo, I play smooth games, even better that some consoles, and it doesn't overheat, nor crash... And I am talking about Battelfield BC2, rFactor, etc.

Please, don't say that 2GB is way low for Win 7 or ShipSim, I have that amount of memory, and my computer is running fine(with win7), so as ShipSim 08. 2GB is enough, what makes difference too, is the frequency of the RAM, for example.

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 09:59:12 »

Please don't get carry away, when i said that a PC would overheat, because i know every component even a processor has a fan than prevents it from getting hot and therefore operates smoothly. I was actually referring to my laptop which i play GTA San Andreas on a DVD which gets hot after the game shut down by itself although there was no problem with the graphics. My laptop could handle this game.

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 01:12:27 »

Maybe it's your CD drive, there's ways to get the files mounted so you don't need to use it (if I remember correctly, you can ask me for more on that later if you wish)

@TNeves, computers are amazing these days, aren't they? What we're running now would have been beyond the dreams of the computers of the 80's. How is Windows 7? Does it run more efficiently than Windows XP?

Yep, running like a charm!  :2thumbs: Faster, safer, and more stable than XP. SS 08 is running ok, too. Computers are just crazy, I remember the good old ZX Spectrum, Intel Celeron 433Mhz, my first x86 processor, ( ZX was a Zilog Z80 processor). Today I have a Core 2 Duo E6400 at 3200Mhz, overclocked, off course with 2GB of RAM, enough for Win7 and SS, not enough for Photoshop, or video conversion :doh:

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 20:12:25 »

What kind of OS does your machine use? Win' XP, Win' Vista or Win' 7 ?
For anything higher than Win' XP your mem is too low, even for SS08 'cause your graphic card uses shared = system memory.

I'm using a Win' Vista. And i won't say the graphics i'm using (Intel GMA X4500M) worse but a bit worse because in some environments mostly under sunny weather it runs fluently, whilst under rainy weather or other environments it will be slower. Unless i know how to change the resolution to low.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 20:30:15 by K Jack »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines