Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 13:44:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wake for ships  (Read 7874 times)

sammz 1405

• Forum member
wake for ships
« on: May 04, 2010, 20:54:46 »

hi guys i was just wondering if ss2008 could have a patch so that we could have the ships wake as it passes through the water and it would effect another ship or you if a ship drove past you

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: wake for ships
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 21:19:21 »

Hi Sammz 1405 :)

I think the probability of another patch for SS08 is 0. Simply because VSTEP are currently developing a whole new Ship Simulator game called Ship Simulator Extremes due for release around June. (That could change of course.)

Hardly anyone knows about all the features in Extremes, except for VSTEP and I'd assume a select few people here on the forum. So we'll just have to wait and see. :)

Mike

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 21:23:25 »

Ship Simulator Extremes due for release around June. (That could change of course.)
Make that 3rd quarter 2010
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 21:31:23 »

Ah, there we go then :P

sammz 1405

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 21:35:29 »

even though it is coming out and new technolagy i still think SSE would have nothing to do with ship wakesd and in realaty that is a big thing for small boats like the powerboat here is a short clip of a wake crash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQs9tloTzTM&feature=related
 kind regards samuel

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 22:41:16 »

I think it would be very heavy on computer resources.
Almost never here, try here.

mvsmith

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 23:44:19 »

I think it would be very heavy on computer resources.
Indeed it would, McG. This subject has been discussed before on the forum. The wakes are a pictorial representation of the disturbance of the water. There are no real disturbances in the non-existent water.

Simply providing somewhat realistic behavior of vessels “in their own wakes” taxes the resources of many systems. Satisfying demands for such details comes at a high price, as some may find when Extremes is released.
VSTEP has attempted to satisfy some of the requests, but it remains to be seen what the minimum computer requirements will be.

As for SS08, it is very unlikely that there will be any further development in that direction, if for no other reason than that the architecture of ’08 will not support such features. That is why there is Extremes. A fundamental change in the basic structure of the simulator was necessary in order to advance the franchise further.

Bukko

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 20:51:41 »

"A fundamental change in the basic structure of the simulator was necessary in order to advance the franchise further."

You know what's ironic about your statement, and this of course has nothing to do with you personally,
is that the "new engine" for SSE apparently is not even written for a multi-core CPU/ GPU environment which baffles the mind.

I wouldn't call that an advancement in the franchise as far as the future is concerned.

The only reason VSTEP get's away with this is that they are "the only game in town" so to speak.

I'm sorry to sound negative about the program but I upgraded my computer several months ago to the latest architecture and it remains under under-utilized in SSE

Craig

Craig

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 01:41:31 »

Hi Craig,

When I wrote that over a year ago, I fully expected that SSE would make better use of multiple cores, and that by going to the PhysX physics package to replace newton.dll physics they intended to make use of the GPU to do much of the inter-frame processing that is the major cause of low frame rates.
I still think that was the original intention of the developers, but that—in the words of Cap’n Ron—stuff happens.

It was a surprise and a disappointment when that intention was not followed, because the changes and enhancements over SS08 have exceeded the capacity of the infrastructure to support them.

Regards,
Marty
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines