Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 12:31:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Knock Nevis go's for India  (Read 40715 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: Knock Nevis go's for India
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2010, 00:02:34 »

Without wishing to speak for Marc (currently offline) I suspect he means that dismantling on a beach instead of a drydock, wearing protective clothing instead of jeans and teeshirt, proper disposal of contaminents, as opposed to burying them next to a school...

Developing countries can not afford to turn down work, so they turn a blind eye to some dodgy practices.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Quaysider

• Forum member
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2010, 00:29:28 »

Interesting you should say that, Marc...

There was a French aircraft carrier (forget its name) that was being sent to India for scrapping- but it was too risky for the Indians, so it was sent to Britain instead...

The carrier in question was the "Clemencau" (sp?) - and she was taken to the Able Recycling facility (TERRC) at Graythorp on the Tees. This is a former drydock built for the building of offshore structures. They had a contract for around 13 ex US reserve vessels for scrapping - only 4 ever arrived before the environmentalists were up in arms and forced the cancellation of the rest of the contract. I believe there are now several vessels there to be scrapped along with offshore structures - they will soon seal off the entrance, drain the dock and start the dismantling.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2010, 09:04:11 »

That'll be the one.

You have to laugh at environmentalists, really.... they get all upset when it endangers Indians, and they DEMAND that the western powers clean up their own mess (as long as it isn't brought to their country, that is)...

I don't really give a damn what anyone thinks about pretty much anything- to be honest, I'm not going to get all worked up about it- ie things I can not change.

But the one thing guaranteed to wind me up is hypocricy. 'Do as I say, not as I do'.

BTW I have seen that French carrier when it was still active. It is a huge monster. It is a shame really- it has been quite an important ship for them. It seems the French have about as much regard for their history as we British do  :(
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2010, 09:06:43 »

'Do as I say, not as I do'.

Charley, in Long Way Down.. :)

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2010, 09:14:27 »

Hi Stuart,
Well,you see you found a fellow soulmate on this matter.
Like you said most of the people dont care(because they realy know),so the "dont know,dont care principal"is very active among them.Goverments say"we gife those people a job"which i find a very cheap explaination.
In the very,very past,these people were most of the time fisherman before.Now they are slaves,of that one guy which buy's the old vessels.That guy dont even care about them,because if something happen to one of the workers,another is already waithing,to pick up that free place.
For the family of that worker everything changes,no more work,is no more money,so also no longer support of any kind.
From that steel and iron,they make concrete-bars for constructions all over the world,well the last decade has been a construction-explosion all over.So the guy who owned the ship on the beach,i think he becomes very rich,and let the people work for almost nothing,they can never save some money,because the payment is so low.All these stuff,should be more known among us.We care about the enviroment,and about the ocean and what lives in it.Global warming is a high issue now.However,that scrapping can continue,without respecting anyone or anything.
Marc
N

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2010, 09:20:34 »

And I think Alang deliver some good work though.

What do they do good?while not respecting anything.

Hi Stuart,
You're reply,that is realy what i hade in mind,about this.
Regards
Marc
N

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2010, 09:26:20 »

It isn't that long ago that similar practices were common in Europe/America etc.

The principle is making a come back here in Britain (and Europe too I guess)- NOT to the same severity or danger, but the principle is the same. Now that there are plenty of cheap east Europen workers (Poles mainly) that standards of care for employees is getting pretty poor, as 'there are always more queueing for work'.

I am not talking about the same level of dangers and social lack of care such as in Indias ship scrapping industry, but once a principle is there, it isn't too hard to go from one to the other.

If you don't already know, I run a business that is heavily dependant on staff (I mostly employ east Europeans (same pay and conditions before you ask!) as they are harder working and more loyal)... and I try to make profit from work; but I also try to make sure my team are properly taken care of and earn a decent wage in a safe, decent environment.

It is hard balancing social responsibilities with commercial objectives, but that is nothing compared to these ship scrapping beaches... But what really should concern people is not just the current generation(s) of people injured/ diseased by it- but the future generations who will fall ill due to the pollutants in the local environment (maybe 20 years from now, they will find babies being born deformed for example- but only then link it to the scrapping when it is too late).

So, lets put the world to rights! ;)

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2010, 12:50:28 »

Hoy Stuart,
Like you explain it,well thats the way it should be done.
Very good company.
Marc
N

cawky

• Forum member
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2010, 20:29:06 »

The carrier in question was the "Clemencau" (sp?) - and she was taken to the Able Recycling facility (TERRC) at Graythorp on the Tees. This is a former drydock built for the building of offshore structures. They had a contract for around 13 ex US reserve vessels for scrapping - only 4 ever arrived before the environmentalists were up in arms and forced the cancellation of the rest of the contract. I believe there are now several vessels there to be scrapped along with offshore structures - they will soon seal off the entrance, drain the dock and start the dismantling.

Here is the whole story about the Tees ship recycling centre , there are some great photos of the ships arriving and the scrapping is going well :-

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5255&forum=2

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2010, 18:47:35 »

Can't believe that the Dalmacija is also there.  :-\

Perhaps they're on strike!
Almost never here, try here.

cawky

• Forum member
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2010, 18:49:51 »

maybe a good idea to read the whole thread ! this picture is on page 2!

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2010, 18:52:03 »

maybe a good idea to read the whole thread ! this picture is on page 2!

I didn't want to tell him that!

cawky

• Forum member
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2010, 18:54:25 »

I have been searching all over the net for more photos of her in Alang , but have not found one single other shot , when I got the notification , I thought YES.

Also here :-

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7635&forum=2&post_id=42011#forumpost42011

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2010, 18:55:34 »

perhaps someone's nicked her!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2010, 12:51:20 »

perhaps someone's nicked her!

Or 150,000,000 people are already shaving with her.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines