Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 12:06:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Knock Nevis go's for India  (Read 40714 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: Knock Nevis go's for India
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2010, 18:52:18 »

There already is a topic for this:
Yes Michael, but now this topic has taken on a lifeforce of its own.

Jack, your eloquent prose demonstrates your point well. Your feelings on this fine vessel are understandable.

Perhaps my question was badly worded. But I really mean people who have never even seen XYZ vessel, let alone travelled onboard. I remember once seeing (TV series) the Master at Arms of HMS Ark Royal crying because he saw the semi-demolished remains of his ship... And he wasn't the sort of bloke you'd expect to cry... But would I get that worked up over a ship I hadn't seen?  :-\
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2010, 18:53:42 »

Yes Michael, but now this topic has taken on a lifeforce of its own.

Maybe but that does not usually stop Fred from locking duplicates!

:evil:

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2010, 18:55:19 »

One thing puzzles me. WHY does everyone get so upset over an inanimate piece of metal that they have never even seen? Not just this ship, but generally?

Not every ship can be turned into a museum- and unless it is an especially historic ship, then why get so emotional?

NOTE: This is asked as a genuine question. It is NOT designed to provoke any flame type response. PLEASE answer properly, or if you don't like it just ignore it.

I agree. How can you be so upset about something you absolutely have no bonds / personal experiences with (as far as I know, sounds unlikely but correct me if wrong)?

Same for many Titanic fans on here - if the movie didn't exist, no one would care...

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2010, 19:02:01 »

Okay, if I take a ship which I probably have a lot of general knowledge on, which I have never seen before, the Norway (Or France, as I recognise her as).

The fact that I had never seen her was what sparked my initial interest. I thought, "What a great ship", and that it was something I wished I could of seen. And an era which I would of loved to of got a feel for, but just obviously wasn't around at that time.

But I do agree,  in that sense, - You can have feelings for something you've never seen before, but nothing, ever does match how you feel if you've worked, or been aboard a boat/ship, that you liked. It really did upset me a great deal to see Mary go, and even though still here, it does not feel the same when you don't have the helm in your hands...I suppose it would almost be like waving your son/daughter that has finished college, and moving out of the home, and not under your watch, or care, directly, anymore.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2010, 19:03:12 »

Maybe but that does not usually stop Fred from locking duplicates!

:evil:
Goderators and Admins generally only do that if it is a pointless duplicate. The other one is full of cobwebs and this one is being used (and has evolved into a slightly different topic too).

I agree. How can you be so upset about something you absolutely have no bonds / personal experiences with (as far as I know, sounds unlikely but correct me if wrong)?

Same for many Titanic fans on here - if the movie didn't exist, no one would care...
So if I said I am going to sit and watch a Boeing 747-100 being chopped to pieces, you won't be upset?

BTW there was a good programme about component recovery from a '471... They took 2 weeks to strip it of parts before the bulldozer went in... Fascinating.

Also, PLEASE don't put the whole word Tita... :sleepy:...nic in one sentence or I will fall asleep.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2010, 19:09:38 »

Goderators and Admins generally only do that if it is a pointless duplicate. The other one is full of cobwebs and this one is being used (and has evolved into a slightly different topic too).
So if I said I am going to sit and watch a Boeing 747-100 being chopped to pieces, you won't be upset?

BTW there was a good programme about component recovery from a '471... They took 2 weeks to strip it of parts before the bulldozer went in... Fascinating.

Also, PLEASE don't put the whole word Tita... :sleepy:...nic in one sentence or I will fall asleep.

Not just chopped...But first...Sold to another company that only wants it for scrap, then re-names it, have it rammed full ahead onto a beach, whilst swarms of Indians climb on it and chain it down...Then anything of value is scavenged, and all the rest gets chopped up, sold, and recycled to make the cutlery on your table now...

:-X
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2010, 19:52:02 »

Sure, I would prefer if it was put into a museum, but I'm not the one to decide that. Other than that, it doesn't bother me, no. I see enough photos of airplane graveyards and when I see that I think 'awesome, I wish I could go there!' instead of 'noooo... those poor planes!'.

So if you want to ruin my day, don't try showing me pictures of airplane graveyards. I only like them, and it helps to improve my own knowledge in airplanes/airlines. I try to recognize what kind of aircraft it is, and if possible, by what airline it was owned (if the colors haven't been painted over too much, it's pretty easy...).

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2010, 21:04:11 »

Sure, I would prefer if it was put into a museum, but I'm not the one to decide that. Other than that, it doesn't bother me, no. I see enough photos of airplane graveyards and when I see that I think 'awesome, I wish I could go there!' instead of 'noooo... those poor planes!'.

You heartless aeroplane killer... What next? Babies and polar bears? :o

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2010, 21:05:50 »

You heartless aeroplane killer... What next? Babies and polar bears? :o

Or Baby Seals? Or Owls? Or Slow Loris?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 21:10:48 by McGherkin »
Almost never here, try here.

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2010, 21:07:36 »

Or Baby Seals? Or Owls? Or Slow Loris?

I don't think you can scrap those kind of things like ships in Alang  :)
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2010, 21:45:38 »

Sadly Mont was grounded on Alang beach on new years day, there is a photo on here :-

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

That picture's already been posted:

And we have found a picture, credit goes out to MidShipCentury

It's beached on Alang  

January 2, 2010.

I never interested in ships, but i saw a documentary about this one on discovery channel and it really interested me. What a shame... but money rules the world.

It appears she beached on 22 December last year.
Almost never here, try here.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2010, 10:17:36 »

Hi Cawky,

Yeah, he did. It's available on youtube. The sheer size of the engine room is absolutely mind blowing...To think, all that needs to be taken apart.. :-X
Kind Regards,
Jack.

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2010, 16:27:07 »

"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

Firestar

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2010, 22:21:39 »

Well, for me, if I were to say...Bring Mary Elizabeth into the equation (Which was something dearly close to me),

In a way - I cannot tackle your question directly, for me, the fact that say, for example, something happened to Mary Elizabeth, the fact that I could never touch it again, or see it, would mean I just wouldn't be able to get in touch with those memories again, or 'remember' where I was before, or how she looked during my time aboard her. In a sense, I would rather see her still there, in some shape or form (As oppose to being turned into bake bean tins :lol:).

Even though it would make me sad, say, If I was 50 years of age now, and I had served aboard "X" Ship, which I was looking at rusting away, I think for me the fact she would still be there would still allow me to think back to when I was aboard her. Though others opinions will probably differ on that one.

Jack.
I know just how that feels, Jack.

oceandream

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2010, 02:05:45 »

That picture's already been posted:

R.I.P. knock nevis.

Join Greenpeace virtual today
We need more members too keep out forum active

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2010, 08:33:33 »

I think there was another picture of her beached...I'll try find it, Nathan gave it me.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

mightymike

• Forum member
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2010, 19:30:43 »

found that picture yet, jack?

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2010, 11:33:27 »

Great catch Quaysider!

Could this be the MSC Nikita??

The Nikita after collision with the Nirint Pride off Maas approach, Rotterdam at the 1st of september '09

Photo: tugspotters.com

No, it was not the Msc Nikita,remember that the Pride Nirint ran into the Nikita.
If you look to the picture that Msc vessel is damaged at his bow.
Further i have no info about what happened there

Marc
N

Quaysider

• Forum member
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2010, 19:09:45 »

Studying pics of the Nikita I can safely say the beached vessel being scrapped is not her. I wold suspect a former Mitsui box boat?

And further delving has narrowed it down a bit - I suspect it is "MSC Claudia" - ex "Kamakura Maru" - broken up at Alang where she arrived 28/12/08 - also a possiblity "MSC Sonia" broken up Dec 2007 or "MSC Koala"
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 19:24:42 by Quaysider »

Quaysider

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2010, 19:26:45 »

Hmmm - I suspect not as the C of MSC looks further away from the accomodation block on Pamela than in the aerial photo..

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2010, 19:44:56 »

Hoy,
The problem i have with beaching ships,is the enviromental side of this work.
Also i think its for company's offcourse a very cheap way to get away of there old steel and iron.However also asbestos,toxic fluids from cargo's(tankers).
No safe working around the area for people,i've seen people afther they had a accident there,no longer could they work on the ships,so also no more money for them.
Believe me many accidents happen there.
This should be stopped!
Marc
N

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2010, 19:50:26 »

Interesting you should say that, Marc...

There was a French aircraft carrier (forget its name) that was being sent to India for scrapping- but it was too risky for the Indians, so it was sent to Britain instead...

All the papers and TV kicked up a fuss about it here, yet we have much better facilities to dismantle ships than the poor 'disposable' Indian workforce (their lable, not mine!)...

I don't know what the fuss was about the French flagship coming here for scrapping. Britain has been scrapping French warships for Centuries now.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2010, 23:25:10 »

Hi Stuart,
Here on TV was a documentary undercoverstuff i mean,and than you could see what the problems are overthere.
Most of it it's about cheap labour,many profits.
Some time ago,the (Blue lady)"Norway" has been demolished on that beach to.Over the years that ship has made loads of profits for the shippingcompany.It's wrong that they took it overthere.
England and even here in Belgium we have good and capable company's,which can dismantle a ship the proper way.
Thats what i ment with the privious reply.
Thanks for your reaction on that anyway.
Regards
Marc
N

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2010, 00:00:00 »

What annoys me more though, Marc, is the way companies and governments go on about protecting the developing world, and then do it anyway...

Being hypocritical about it makes it worse. Why can't they just be honest and say "we don't know these people and don't want to."

I'm glad we agree on this. I was thinking no one else on the planet cares at all.

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2010, 00:00:22 »

Hi Stuart,
Here on TV was a documentary undercoverstuff i mean,and than you could see what the problems are overthere.
Most of it it's about cheap labour,many profits.
Some time ago,the (Blue lady)"Norway" has been demolished on that beach to.Over the years that ship has made loads of profits for the shippingcompany.It's wrong that they took it overthere.
England and even here in Belgium we have good and capable company's,which can dismantle a ship the proper way.
Thats what i ment with the privious reply.
Thanks for your reaction on that anyway.
Regards
Marc

What do you mean with ''dismantle a ship the proper way"?
I mean, its not the scrapyards fault of scrapping a ship of course.
And I think Alang deliver some good work though
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines