Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 12:14:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: building ships  (Read 1506 times)

djdave972

• Forum member
building ships
« on: December 02, 2009, 15:59:39 »

hi all

is there a program / files to build your own ships / boats ?

cos i love to build a ship called spiro f (reedness).

can anyone help ?

dj dave 972

mvsmith

Re: building ships
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 17:22:43 »

Hi djdave972,
The short answer is no, you cannot build your own boats and use them in Ship Simulator.
For the long answer, search the forum for the many, many topics on that subject.
Perhaps our research person, Wave Music, will find some for you.
Regards,
Marty

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 17:52:04 »

Actually, the answer is Yes, you can model ships for Ship Simulator if:

- you know how to work with a proper 3-D modeling software,
- you'll be following the addon creation guidelines while modeling,
- you'll be cooperating with VSTEP to get your model in SS.

Here's the presentation that shows what's involved in creating a ship for SS:
http://www.slideshare.net/PjotrAtVSTEP/the-content-creation-workflow-of-the-ship-simulator-game

The guidelines:   
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,16399.0.html

keep it gnarly

jamikn

• Forum member
building ships
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 22:01:15 »

Like Gmax :)
Its a modling program but i dont no if it works on Shipsimulater

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 22:22:25 »

There are two problems, as I see it:
1)People produce basic models and people say "ooooh thats really great" when it isn't... They encourage them to increase the quantity of them, not the quality- they don't have the encouragement to IMPROVE.
2)People design really great models, with lots of detail and get despondant when they can't make them to the standard they want in the timescale they expect... They lose interest.

I can recommend Blender (www.blender.org) it is a commercial quality programme, but due to a legal situation it is now totally free. It has lots of free help and advice on the internet and it is really easy to pick up. I used to do professional 3d CAD in the mid 90s and had to re-learn Blender, but you get the hang of it.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 23:19:41 »

1)People produce basic models and people say "ooooh thats really great" when it isn't... They encourage them to increase the quantity of them, not the quality- they don't have the encouragement to IMPROVE.

Then if the staff encourages the implementation of the backwards principle, we can go & say in every topic in Development corner: "What a rubbish model you made!  I could have done that same ship in thousands times better than you!". That will encourage them to improve their existing models than going & creating each time new topics under a reason "I got bored with making my previous model/dropped it because of various known & unknown knows".  ;D
keep it gnarly

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 15:08:32 »

I'm not saying that- it goes from one extreme to another. But lets face it, most are 'not quite up to SS standard'.

Constructive criticism, not demoralising criticism... But equally not telling people what a great job they've done when it isn't... You must be cruel to be kind.

Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

houston144

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 08:49:01 »

ok, I will pipe in..to begin with, I do not model what so ever...but I do have z-modeler 2.1.? where I was going to try to render my truck for wheels of steel, for those who are wondering I am ex-navy and I am an ex-truck driver that my position now is totally 100% percent disabled, the simulators the truck driving and now ss 2008 are enabling me to get out of the house in a sense, where I spend 99% of my time.

Now, for fact based classic boats and information about them there is a wonderful website called fiberglassics.com, where the owner Kelly Wood and now several others are teaming up giving the website a "face-lift" sor-tov speaking. in the library you well soon find over 1200 mercury boat house reports about small craft and cruisers, and to make this even better current owners that have the same boat that can supply pictures to model off of.

many of the boats the designers, builder's, company's have been long and gone so reproducing a electronic version would not be a problem that i can for see.

why-oh why, do I bring this up...in the wikipedia article about ship simulator, there was one boat I got really excited about, and that was the old chris craft. a boat I love to look at and always wished to take one out for a spin, well if someone would ask the people over at fiber if they would be interested in ship simulator having a classic glass package and if they would mind helping..modelers with some information about different boats I am sure you wouldn't have any problems finding resources for information. don't let the websites name throw you, they cover the woodies, the fiberglass...even metal "classic" boats.

yes I have a reason for suggesting this, I use to have a 1962 Aristo Craft Funliner with a matching 800 Merc (just like in the boat house report) which I had to sell due to my illness, now if I could only use that on the Hudson river in NYC or over somewhere eles...man tell yea that would fill a fantasy.

attached is some information about my old classic...which was sold for 350.00     
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines