Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 15:13:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shipyard updates/add ons.  (Read 1666 times)

fordprefect

• Forum member
shipyard updates/add ons.
« on: December 19, 2009, 16:58:10 »

Running Shipsim version 1.4.2 . Have downloaded the free add ons and placed them in the same folder as the main program. The system tells me that the add on has been activated however when I run shipsim there appears to be no change to the game menus nor any sign of the enhanced features. Can anyone throw some light on this for me. >:(

Ballast

• Global Moderator
Re: shipyard updates/add ons.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 17:01:45 »

The add-ons or super packs don't change anything about the menus lay out and such. They only add vessels and missions  ;)

Add-on missions can be found under the 'custom mission' section in ShipSim08
It's the crew that makes the difference

TerryRussell

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 19:11:52 »

Also, do not try to place things yourself. Let the installer do its work and do not change the defaults that it offers. Otherwise you will probably end up with a non-working instalation.

When you download the file, select "Open" or "Run". Just saving it will do nothing.

houston144

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 19:30:19 »

notice a "couple" of things

the smaller container ship in the xmass package, in the free roam menu it shows an error for a name of the ship.

Portferraio Angel is locked says to enter a key code which I can not find  ???

I am running SS2008 with out the horizon upgrade (yet) so I made sure I d/l the free downloads that where for just SS2008

in the patches there is a patch for a "amBX patch" which just buying SS2008 i was 50/50 as to needing it, but I did down load it, the problem it lowered the version of SS2008 so I then had to d/l another patch to then bring up the version...should that be even be there in the patch list?

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 19:39:45 »

Portferraio Angel is part of New Horizons.

amBX patch was to accompany hardware I believe, not for the game if you dont have the hardware.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 19:47:25 »

The amBX patch is to fix problem with an Ambilight system connected to your machine. If you don't have that kind of system, the patch is useless for you.

The ambilight system is like a set of lights that you place behind your screen, it will change the colours of the lights as the light in the scenery changes.

Edit: What SA says  :P
It's the crew that makes the difference

houston144

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 17:25:50 »

yes I have a flat screen monitor, no I don't have the ambient light set up but my point was, if the "amBX Patch" lowers the version, making down loading updates and new ships from the ship yard useless because of the the version amBX patch lowered SS2008 to, then why have it?

seems removing it from the patch list would save a little grief.

(just reread where the other ship is for the new horizons..missed that on the read in the ship yard.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 17:28:29 by houston144 »

TJK

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 17:46:17 »

yes I have a flat screen monitor, no I don't have the ambient light set up but my point was, if the "amBX Patch" lowers the version, making down loading updates and new ships from the ship yard useless because of the the version amBX patch lowered SS2008 to, then why have it?

seems removing it from the patch list would save a little grief.

(just reread where the other ship is for the new horizons..missed that on the read in the ship yard.)

were shall wee pick up the patch then, we that have the hardware?
do you not have it, you don't need it. simple as that
TJK

houston144

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 06:48:52 »

ok maybe this is getting lost in translation...

the amBX patch, lowered the version of SS2008, which then the shipyard ships would not work because of the wrong version and the SS2008 had to be fix with another patch....

soooo

would it not be better to either "scrub" amBX patch or modify the amBX patch to include the updated version of ss2008 because it took awhile to download the repair patch that amBX patch downgraded my version to.

Down loading all the patches regardless of ones hardware configurations is rather smart, for when I want to "upgrade" my hardware to fit my game better I can.

mvsmith

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 07:17:21 »

Down loading all the patches regardless of ones hardware configurations is rather smart, for when I want to "upgrade" my hardware to fit my game better I can.

Very true.
However, actually applying patches for hardware that you do not yet have is rather dumb.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines