Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 11:23:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The pirates of Ship Simulator  (Read 3355 times)

JHB

• Forum member
The pirates of Ship Simulator
« on: June 10, 2007, 06:45:32 »

You don’t have to put so many words in the search field of Google to find all kinds pf serial key generators, torrent files, cracked versions of the game. It’s a shame that somebody chose this form for getting themselves a copy of the game without paying for it and to make it hard for the company that continues to develop it and which need the money to pay all kinds of outcomes during the development and all people that is involved and spend a lot of time on making new versions and improve the game into a second version.

General said there is a bunch of small software developers out at the markets that maybe just have 1-2 employees and spend a lot of time just to make cheap and useful software. There are many small game development companies too that may just be based on one single employee that develop the whole game and probably spend a lot of time on this. Anyway piracy hurt them all in some way. It hurts those that got small budgets and are self-employed and that probably only produce one or two application per year. Even producers of add-ons for the Microsoft Flight Simulator have to deal with this problem. And freeware developers do also have problems with piracy and cases of copyright infringement and all kinds of other problems where there is a manipulation with the freeware to remove its original author.

It’s a strange world we are living in. Piracy hurt us all in some way, and especially those who are not a part of the largest companies such as the music recording industry or the movie industry where we have some giants that probably suffer less or nothing on piracy. It hurts a lot more those who are small individual companies or self-employed developers, because they don’t have a massive amount of resources to protect the work from all kinds of piracy that is performed today.

I hope those of you that got a pirated copy of Ship Simulator that want to see more of this game in the future support it by paying for it. It’s a matter of having an understanding about what software or game development is about and what costs that is involved to develop it from 0 to 100%. ::)

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
Re: The pirates of Ship Simulator
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 08:58:11 »

It is indeed a shame for the developers who put a great deal of time, effort AND money into giving us these superb games to play.  Just as an example, Ship Sim 2006 in the UK is £9.99, the average price of a relatively new game here is £19.99........half price for a game is a REAL BARGAIN, yet they still prefer to get it illegally :(

These people are destroying the games market, which incidently is bigger than the movies market.  They want great games, but aren't willing to pay for them, not a great policy to follow.

Buying games benefits us all in the long-term, games get better and we get more entertainment from them ;D

Great thread, let's hope this gets them thinking about how they get their games eh ;)

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 09:02:12 »

I got mine from GAME. I thought it was good value. And it's worth every penny!

andy_m

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 23:24:20 »

I agree, piracy is ruining the entertainment industry full stop be it games, music or films.
I personnally have never bought a pirated game in my life and never will do. People put a lot of hard work into games so you should say thanks to them by paying for it! :)
I got SS06 Collectors Edition and the Add-On pack from Amazon for £30 for the pair, and thats 30 quid damn well spent if you want my opinion! VStep have come up trumps and im happy to pay for their products, keep up the good work guys!  ;D
Regards,
Andy
Why is the Rum ALWAYS gone?

Ship Sim

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 06:43:09 »

I have never and never will buy a pirated game. It is not right.

Lanedre

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 22:17:24 »

I did a quick search today and it only took me two seconds and i got a result of many Ship Simulator 2008 torrents.....thats to bad >:(
Such great games should be bought legally ;)

Jazz

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 00:44:02 »

Not all games are worth playing, actually I'm very happy that there are "these possibillities" to try them out because sometimes you, well I, get so damn angry because of the ammount of stupidity the developers has managed to put in the game.

SS 08 is however not one of them, it's money well spent.  ;D

Orinoco

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 11:16:51 »

There are several reasons at least why people use pirated software:

- Cost
- The ability to 'try it out' - which may or may not subsequently result in a purchase
- Desperate peeps at LAN parties who need extra software/keys for M/player.

The list goes on.

I don't condone the use of illegal software - God only knows what the pirates have pumped it full with (spyware/other malware etc), plus as has been stated, it costs developers hard-earned cash.

That's not to say I'm totally on the side of developers and publishers though - I vehemently oppose intrusive detection software/anti-copy software on my machines. I legitimately run Daemon tools for ISOs of discs I have on may HDD - yet EA software continues to remove it from the start-up process, and Vista blocks it all together. Not to mention the driver issues/conflicts that anti-copy protection have been known to cause on some machines.

In some cases, it's easier to run a pirated copy on your machine than a legitimate one.

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 12:03:45 »

For they ho download it pirate can not play it in Multiplayer! :PBecaus the key is allready in use  :D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 12:08:11 »

There are several reasons at least why people use pirated software:

- Cost
- The ability to 'try it out' - which may or may not subsequently result in a purchase
- Desperate peeps at LAN parties who need extra software/keys for M/player.

The list goes on.

I don't condone the use of illegal software - God only knows what the pirates have pumped it full with (spyware/other malware etc), plus as has been stated, it costs developers hard-earned cash.

That's not to say I'm totally on the side of developers and publishers though - I vehemently oppose intrusive detection software/anti-copy software on my machines. I legitimately run Daemon tools for ISOs of discs I have on may HDD - yet EA software continues to remove it from the start-up process, and Vista blocks it all together. Not to mention the driver issues/conflicts that anti-copy protection have been known to cause on some machines.

In some cases, it's easier to run a pirated copy on your machine than a legitimate one.

Cost? You think £20 for an average new release is unfair?
Most new titles release a demo first (or shortly after ;) )
I've never found a problem with any anti copy software (waste of time as someone will always find a way around- remember Dcopy on the Amiga ;) ) That said, I have heard about EA causing these problems- but I don't have any of their stuff.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

saken41

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 13:02:47 »

I bought both SS06 and SS08 :)!

eric

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 14:00:46 »

If you want cheap games be patient for 6 months or so and then you can often buy legitimate second hand copies from people who have grown tired of the games at a fraction of the original price. This must be better than encouraging pirates. ;)

andy_m

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 14:05:47 »

Or wait for them to go into a sale section or be re-released on budget, cheap AND brand new - bargain!

Regards,
Andy
Why is the Rum ALWAYS gone?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 21:22:14 »

Yes, that's how I got SS06- it was cheap (as 08 was imminent) and I thought- worth a look... and was a great bargain... so I bought 08 the day it was released :)

I also got MSTS this way (didn't appeal to me, but at 9.99 it was worth a look) and found it was worth the full price anyway

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Orinoco

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 12:07:28 »

Cost? You think £20 for an average new release is unfair?
Most new titles release a demo first (or shortly after ;) )
I've never found a problem with any anti copy software (waste of time as someone will always find a way around- remember Dcopy on the Amiga ;) ) That said, I have heard about EA causing these problems- but I don't have any of their stuff.

Stu

Nope, and if I think a game is too much, I won't buy it. However, that's not going to stop those who have no money at all - such as school children. As others have said, it is inevtiable that most games will drop in price - although that's not always the case - when I bought BF2142, it was £17.99, it currently is going for £26.99 on Play.com, a £9 increase.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 00:10:21 »

You are right. It can not be stopped 100%. But it can be frustrated. Copied licence keys will be detected in this forum and multiplayer- maybe even to download patches???

I think it's time that the software houses started taking civil cases against these thieves. lack of money is always an excuse for some people- well, tough. Can't afford- don't have. I haven't always had lots of money- and many here are in the same 'boat' but it's just not an excuse.

Stu

Orinoco

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 00:13:49 »

You are right. It can not be stopped 100%. But it can be frustrated. Copied licence keys will be detected in this forum and multiplayer- maybe even to download patches???

I think it's time that the software houses started taking civil cases against these thieves. lack of money is always an excuse for some people- well, tough. Can't afford- don't have. I haven't always had lots of money- and many here are in the same 'boat' but it's just not an excuse.

Stu

Yep, agree completely. Problem is, when I grew up, I was taught that what you can't have you go without, kids today want/expect everything. As for copied/generated keys - this is why I always register my new games now, to prevent piracy. For Shipsim, the first thing I did after install was put my key in my forum profile.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 00:32:39 »

Good idea...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines