Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 23:58:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Real or Fake?

Real
- 4 (13.8%)
Fake
- 25 (86.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mars Photo? Real or Fake  (Read 22794 times)

firestar12

Mars Photo? Real or Fake
« on: December 14, 2009, 02:07:56 »

Hi everyone, I found this picture a while ago on the internet and I've been meaning to ask you all about it. What do you think about this picture, supposedly taken from Mars? They say that if you zoom in to the circle, there's an alien sitting over the hill. What do you all think?

Also, I had to upload it to my website since the original website appears to have been shutdown. (Thank heaven for Save image as!)

High Res: http://www.lessordesigns.com/images/Mars_Photo.jpg

RMS Canada

• Forum member
Re: Mars Photo? Real or Fake
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 02:09:59 »

Could you put in a "Not sure" in the poll?  I cannot tell if it is real or faked.
All ahead full!

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 02:23:03 »

I think it's real..Also, I found this unpublished picture which was taken 10 minutes later..
Seems there was more than 1 ..

matt5674

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 03:09:02 »

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Martians are now against the Yankees and are now protesting!!!! Get to the rocket and blow them martians UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:15:02 »

Fake. Their is no way it could live since their is now water on the surface of mars due to low atmospheric pressure. Pic might be real, but the alien is not.

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 06:08:39 »

This is Mars. It is a scan of a print that I received from JPL a couple of weeks after Viking 1 landed. I was working at Caltech at the time and was able to watch the first pictures as they arrived, via a direct feed from JPL to the campus.

The local time on Mars is approximately noon, and the view is to the southeast. The reddish surface materials were believed to be limonite – hydrated ferric oxide.

The scene was scanned three times by the spacecraft’s B&W camera 2 through three different color filters. Color balance was done using a test chart mounted on the spacecraft.

There obviously could not be any aliens living on mars. If there were any humanoids living on Mars, they are probably indigenous to Mars and, therefore, not aliens.

Unfortunately I have misplaced the second picture showing the dead witch under a landing leg.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 07:33:41 by mvsmith »

mvsmith

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:37:05 »

Fake. Their is no way it could live since their is now water on the surface of mars due to low atmospheric pressure. Pic might be real, but the alien is not.

There is, in fact, surface water on Mars in the form of ice and hydrated minerals. There is also a very slight amount of water vapor and ice clouds in the very thin carbon dioxide atmosphere. Lack of oxygen in the atmosphere is the main reason for the lack of aliens.

The atmospheric pressure at the lowest elevations is only 14 millibars. Nevertheless, winds gusting to 50 m/s are possible. Dust storms occur regularly.
During a Martian winter when the polar temperature drops to 150K, carbon dioxide condenses out of the atmosphere to form a polar cap. This has the effect of decreasing the atmospheric pressure.

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 13:18:05 »

I's thinks it's a Martian!~ :doh:

I think we needed a little stupidity after such an intelligent comment...
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 14:34:16 »

There obviously could not be any aliens living on mars. If there were any humanoids living on Mars, they are probably indigenous to Mars and, therefore, not aliens.
NOT if you watch doctor who! Do NOT drink the water... :D

Unfortunately I have misplaced the second picture showing the dead witch under a landing leg.
;D
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 14:37:13 »

There is, in fact, surface water on Mars in the form of ice and hydrated minerals. There is also a very slight amount of water vapor and ice clouds in the very thin carbon dioxide atmosphere. Lack of oxygen in the atmosphere is the main reason for the lack of aliens.

I won't argue on this point, as it is one of the few areas that I am not an expert. ;) But is there any reason for an assumption (and this is a genuine question, not a provocation) that an alien will be Oxygen based? Is it possible for a reverse system where a 'alien' breathes in CO2, excretes O2 and consumes carbon. Remember that we have such 'aliens' here on earth, called trees.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 15:18:31 »

I won't argue on this point, as it is one of the few areas that I am not an expert. ;) But is there any reason for an assumption (and this is a genuine question, not a provocation) that an alien will be Oxygen based? Is it possible for a reverse system where a 'alien' breathes in CO2, excretes O2 and consumes carbon. Remember that we have such 'aliens' here on earth, called trees.

That is very true

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 15:59:31 »

Indeed, a carbon-based life form might have a better chance on Mars.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 16:01:57 »

And a large quantity of methane, IF I remember correctly... Lots of cowes dung, then?

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 17:19:10 »

;D

mvsmith

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 17:19:48 »

And a large quantity of methane, IF I remember correctly... Lots of cowes dung, then?

Not unless the Isle of Wight has figured out how to export its waste to Mars.
Methane and other hydrocarbons are usually found in liquid form on moons of the outer planets, such as Saturn’s Titan.
Temperatures on Mars range too high.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 17:28:35 »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 17:30:19 »

And temperatures near a hydrothermal vent are not.. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrothermal_vent

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 17:33:19 »

I fully expect life to be found on Mars

just not little Green Men

Sorry

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 18:15:17 »

Methane and other hydrocarbons are usually found in liquid form on moons of the outer planets, such as Saturn’s Titan.

Well, there has to be an area of knowledge that I don't know about (it saves the world getting envious)  ;)
Actually, since methane has to be produced by organic matter, I suppose it was a pretty stupid question...
But what has IOW got to do with it???

I fully expect life to be found on Mars
Probably micro organisims/ bacteria and MPs... If you are interested in single celled organisms of limited intelligence, just visit Wetherspoons in Folkestone on a Friday night.

mvsmith

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 20:01:30 »

But what has IOW got to do with it???

Cowes dung.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 20:10:04 »

I had to ask  :doh: I walked right into that one (thankfully, not literally) :o

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 20:13:46 »

well i come from the isle of wight and i don't think we have come up with that  ;D

Dynamite Dan

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 20:19:06 »

Its fake, look at the outline of the mountains in the distance in the high res version, no definition, the sky has been airbrushed onto it (very badly)

mvsmith

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 20:29:26 »

And temperatures near a hydrothermal vent are not.. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrothermal_vent

Not relevant to present day Mars.
The subject was atmospheric methane or liquid methane on the surface, neither of which can exist. The atmosphere of Mars is 95% carbon dioxide; the rest is mainly nitrogen and argon with a trace of sulfur dioxide.
Hydrothermal vents require a substantial sub-surface aquifer to feed them. They also tend to occur at plate boundaries. Mars has no tectonics.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 21:11:25 »

Sounds like a good place to put a MacDonalds.. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines