Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 13:32:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Why is there not a lot of smoke on the titanic?

My Pc
- 3 (50%)
Slow computer?
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you make lots of smoke coming out of the funnels ?  (Read 14572 times)

ritesh

• Forum member
Re: How do you make lots of smoke coming out of the funnels ?
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 17:25:14 »

Looking at your various postings Ritesh, your Titanic doesn't seem to have a lot of wash. You doesn't seem to have much smoke from Titanic. You were saying that Titaniic's fast wasn't fast (by which I think you might mean that it didn't look very fast. Is that right?)

I can't see that you've ever posted your DXdiag, Ritesh, so I can't be sure, but I suspect that your graphics card is a low-spec one, or perhaps you have an old driver or something.

If you have posted your DXdiag, can you let me know in which thread? Thanks.

[update] Found it here
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,16011.25/topicseen.html

OK, it's a low-spec graphics card. That is probably a lot of the problem.

[edit] Typo

Look in "why titanic goes to slow on full?
you will find my DXdiag there
Ship Simulator 2008

ritesh

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 17:27:53 »

Make sure you didn't make the mistake I did and not realize smoke was turned off in the graphics options. I wondered for months why I never got any smoke and was shocked to find it was an option that was unticked.

Let me try :-\
Ship Simulator 2008

ritesh

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 17:37:52 »

yeah, but that might be green smoke...

Lol
Ship Simulator 2008

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 18:02:44 »

Make sure you didn't make the mistake I did and not realize smoke was turned off in the graphics options. I wondered for months why I never got any smoke and was shocked to find it was an option that was unticked.
Ahoy Jammy,
What version of ShipSimulator are you talking about? I got SS2008 v 1.4.2 build 1038 and there is no, I repeat NO option to set the smoke on or off.
Or maybe you're trying to pull mine and everybodys else leg  :doh:
Regards
Aad (the Pirate)
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

mvsmith

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 18:48:21 »

Hi Aad,

The slider under Particles controls smoke and wash. Raising it too high can crash an underspec computer.

If one reads his posts and looks at his pictures:
He does have smoke, though not up to his unrealistic expectation.
He does get up to ~20 knots, which is about the fastest Titanic does in the sim.
He has been misled by a video that was made in a sea that produced a greater bow wave than in a harbor.
The underspec computer simply takes longer to get up to the max speed, and that indicated speed can be considerably higher than the true speed calculated from distance/clock time.
Regards,
 Marty

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 19:02:27 »

Ahoy Marty,
As you can see on the attached picture, I'm using the dutch version of SS08. Please point out to me which slider belongs to that "Particles Control".
Many thanks in advance.
Best regards
Aad

BTW: glad to see you back  :D

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 20:03:37 »

Hi Aad, I think he means this.. :)

mvsmith

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 20:24:21 »

Hi Aad,

Near the bottom, where it says “Effect Tuning” (Effectinstellingen), the top slider labeled “visibility distance of the bow water”, or words to that effect, affects both the view distance for smoke and for the bow wash.

Look, Aad, I don’t mind too much when you make up your own words for our words that describe things, but when you make up your own words for the things themselves, that is confusing. I have complained to Mad_Fred about this, but you keep doing it.
Regards,
Marty

Notice that what is changed is how close you have to zoom in on Titanic before you see any smoke. It is not directly a control on the density of the smoke.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 20:40:02 by mvsmith »

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 00:06:47 »

BTW: glad to see you back  :D

Look, Aad, I don’t mind too much when you make up your own words for our words that describe things, but when you make up your own words for the things themselves, that is confusing. I have complained to Mad_Fred about this, but you keep doing it.

A usual warm response!
keep it gnarly

mvsmith

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 00:58:57 »

Hi WM,

I doubt that I need to explain that to Aad, but for your benefit:
By “you” I meant the Dutch. The context is a difficulty that Fred will remember.
I got an email from a Dutch member about the ME tutorial. He couldn’t find the Area object in the list. From other words he used, it was clear that he was using Fred’s Dutch translation of my tutorial. I knew that Fred had used the English words for objects, etc. because the Dutch version of the ME was in English.
When I checked with Fred, he told me that the latest version of the ME was in Dutch. This brought up the difficulty alluded to in my post to Aad:
Is the term used for the Area object one of the Dutch synonyms for the English word “Area”, or had the Dutch developers chosen a name for that object that was not the Dutch equivalent of “Area”?
In English, the choice of “Area” is arbitrary; an American developer might have called it a “Place”, “Plate”, “Widget”, “Socket”, etc.

Regards,
Marty

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 01:07:17 »

At least that makes some sense.
keep it gnarly

ritesh

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 06:51:04 »

Hi Aad,

Near the bottom, where it says “Effect Tuning” (Effectinstellingen), the top slider labeled “visibility distance of the bow water”, or words to that effect, affects both the view distance for smoke and for the bow wash.

Regards,
Marty

Notice that what is changed is how close you have to zoom in on Titanic before you see any smoke. It is not directly a control on the density of the smoke.

Hi

I don't understand where is it
Please point out where is it :2thumbs:

Regards,
Ritesh

Ship Simulator 2008

captancook1

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 08:11:03 »

I cant get any smoke at all to come out at all on the ships with smoke coming out

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 17:34:51 »

Ahoy captancook1,
and welcome to the Forum
First of all: Congratulations. You really must be the winnar in the Competition called: "Waking up dead threads."
Didn't You noticed that the date of the last reply is from october, 22nd 2009?

And before somebody will answer Your question, it would be a good idea to register your copy of the Ship Simulator on this Forum.
Kind Regards
Aad
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines