Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 08:32:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ShipSim on Playstation3!?  (Read 4872 times)

Destrega

• Forum member
ShipSim on Playstation3!?
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:44:50 »

I understand you can run ShipSim on a Linux system?

The PS3 is able to support Linux, if you install it, the PS3 pretty much becomes a pc. So any techys here reckon ShipSim will run on it?
-Member Of The Tug Community-
Name: Destrega   Vessel: Sherpa

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: ShipSim on Playstation3!?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:53:01 »

Possibly, definitely no guarantees.

Destrega

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:10:06 »

I reckon it will. Problem is I'm far too deeply in love with my PS3 to risk it, but I'm tempted to look for a cheap second hand PS3 and give it a go.

matt5674

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:59:57 »

IDK if a Playstation 3 will play Ship Simulator, it is a bit like a Windows computer, but it might not play. But it might work. It's just IDK

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 13:29:55 »

Well it sure can handel it Ive never thought about it nor do I want to risk it...why dont you give it a go and tell me how it works  8) I know its got an amazing processor as its made for games... very obvious so as I said you try it  :thumbs: :doh:

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 13:41:02 »

I think if it was meant to be on play station they would have released it
on that format ?
                                                                     Eric

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 14:42:09 »

interesting, my thought would be not enough key in puts :-\ guess if you can risk a PS3 try it :P

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 14:47:38 »

The PS3 is able to support Linux, if you install it, the PS3 pretty much becomes a pc. So any techys here reckon ShipSim will run on it?

Hi Destrega,

Theoretically, it can work.

But it is not officially supported. Those that tried it on linux do not exactly have a 100% succes rate either. But if you can turn your ps3 into a pc, like that, you might just get lucky.

So there is no guarantee that can be given, no support from vstep if it won't work, and of course, if an OS or game platform does not appear as a supported system in the system requirements, you can not give a definate answer to your question, I am afraid.

I wouldn't risk it unless you have that cheap second hand one.. and even then, it might not work very well, if at all. But there is a chance!

Regards,
Fred

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 14:57:25 »

PS 3 System

Custom NVidia Processor called RSX “Reality Synthesizer”, at 550 MHz
Cell Processor with 7 SPEs, at 3.2 GHz
512 KB + 256 KB per SPE (7 SPE’s in the PS3)

256 MB XDR, 256 MB video memory

Blu-ray BD-ROM, up to 54 GB of data

480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, two outputs for two separate displays simultaneously

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 15:07:10 »

Well it sure can handel it Ive never thought about it nor do I want to risk it...why dont you give it a go and tell me how it works  8) I know its got an amazing processor as its made for games... very obvious so as I said you try it  :thumbs: :doh:

The Cell is an amazing processor. But from what I've been told by my many developer friends, it wasn't designed to be 'game-friendly' in any way. It almost seems that Sony went out of their way to make it like that as well (compared to their main competitors system, and let me be clear and say that I'm just talking about programming games here).

I will say that on a related note, I wish the game companies themselves would support SIM-software on their consoles. I've seen Flight Simulator X running on an Xbox 360, and it was fully supported (multiplayer over LAN, which would've worked fine over Xbox Live). Ship Simulator on the 360 would be an absolute dream come true in that way, but the price of doing that is sky-high. Porting the game to the Xbox would be a doddle. However, Microsoft are one of the greediest companies on the planet, so that's where the costs would go. Same for Sony, but you don't get any software with them. Sadly, a game like this would be the victim of those idiotic folk who call themselves 'game-reviewers'. Granted, not every single one of them is an idiot, but the majority are. So here's to my dreams, and here's to getting a new PC to replace this one so I can play again. :)

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 15:30:30 »

Yea you'd have to be pretty loaded to want to risk a PS3  :-\

And I agreejayshum that Sony and Microsoft are the greediest...so making it an "Official PS3 or Xbox labeled game would be costely and yes it may sell but would it be worth it to Vstep when theyre already getting many sold labeled a PC game...not really....would we enjoy it... sure would...BUT several featured would need to be changed for instance the PS3 doesnt have a mouse and a keyboard it has a controller...but it would be really neat if V Step ever thought of getting a physical throttle and joystick like a ship has...simmilar to thee pedal and steering wheel we have for racing games  :thumbs:

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

Destrega

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 17:39:11 »

Interesting replies, like i said if i can find one in good condition going cheap then i will def give it a go.

The PS3 already supports the use of keyboard/mouse. Though only one PS3 game allows you play with keyboard/mouse. But can be used for browsing the web and writing messages etc...

Search google/youtube for PS3 LAPTOP and you will find many examples of guys not only installing linux on the system but also turning the ps3 into an actual laptop.

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 18:07:59 »

lol how can they turn it into an laptop? the glue the screen and keyboard on it?

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

Destrega

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 18:19:32 »

No joke, you can download full instructions on how to do it.

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 21:46:49 »

but wouldn't it look more like a small desktop instead of a laptop?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 21:52:38 »

Try what he suggested and google it.. you'll see..   ;)

;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 21:55:16 by Mad_Fred »

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 22:18:46 »

a right, I'll do that

firestar12

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 00:30:27 »

I'd like to know where anyone said that it could run on Linux.

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 09:44:21 »

The 'George Foreman' Playstation 3, not this new PS3 Slim, can have Linux installed onto it. And it works very well. :)

Destrega

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 10:37:35 »

I'd like to know where anyone said that it could run on Linux.

Are you referring to ShipSim or PS3?

firestar12

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 20:16:58 »

Are you referring to ShipSim or PS3?
Shipsim. No one ever said that it worked. And you need an emulator for it to even attempt to work in the first place.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 02:14:12 »

I got a ps3, man if you think about the level of graphics it will have, and all the sweeeeet detail you will have, i was playing GTA IV and the detail is sooo good, its like you can taste it. That is something VSTEP  could defently put on the future list of inventions. Think about it , no glitches, error, no slow, it's like you could feel the ocean splashing into your face and the smoke from the ship and the smells, seagulls, ocean noise....OOOOOOOMMMMMGGGGGGG, that is a good idea

http://snippets.com/images/tagsimages/entertainment.jpg
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:18:18 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 02:22:31 »

VSTEP's goal with ship simulator actually isn't quite for the casual gamer, its mainly for the people that are fans of simulators and Professional trainers and major companies. Having it on a computer for VSTEP clearly was the best option as that is what they have chosen and being on PS3 doesn't mean no errors, people may still get errors for some reason or another. Its a interesting idea, I just dont think its too practical right now

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 03:13:16 »

I agree with Keane, Also it would be a very costly project. Also as keane mentioned (Cant Remember) But that Simulations tend to be better on a PC (Depends) But in this case...also The audience as of now is greater for the PC so why bother spend money to put it on another system if they wont get it back...Get what im saying  ;)

Thanks TJK!

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 09:03:00 »

Even if this is possible, why would anyone want to do it, besides just to find out for the curious minds.

VSTEP made this a PC game purposely, if they wanted it to be a console game, they would have made it one. You may not have noticed but almost all simulators are for the PC not a console. PC's offer more controls, usually more customization, since you can have a extreme gaming computer, but I don't see anyone added 50 gigs of ram to a PS3?

I do believe that VSTEP also wanted to go commercial with the product, as they did with SS Pro. I know that companies looking for a training simulator are going to want to run it on a PC, not a play station... Even if they did want to make a console game, they would have to reduce the number of controls significantly, or they would have to make a dedicated controller, but I think SS is over priced the way it is now, but it is so good I still buy it.

I am also going to assume, that more people are going to have PCs then a console. And if they did port it to something like the xbox360, the other consoles are now left out. Loosing any clients they had using a different console.

So final statement, it might work, but VSTEP will never port it to a console officially, it would be stupid if they did.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines