Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 01:19:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Texture errors  (Read 18251 times)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Re: Texture errors
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 19:06:06 »

Hi RMSG,
One does not fly a courtesy flag in ones own country, only as a mark of courtesy to the foreign country in which the ship is at any time.
I quote you:-
(UK in British ports,  ??? US in American ports, and France in French ports),
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 19:08:40 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 19:09:01 »

Err... RMSG...

Pro has flag lines.. so multiple flags is not a big problem, I reckon.

Don't hold your breath though.. you still look at the game from the wrong angle. These kinda costmetic details are only a secondairy priority, if not lower.. You want a few extra flags waving about on the Titanic? Well, that means everyone else has to sacrifice something else that makes a lot more sense to have in the sim!  ;)

It's not a virtual Titanic museum.  :doh:

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 19:23:20 »

Why not use the 46-star US flag and fly it off Titanic's foremast? ;D

I could never understand why Ireland never got any official credit (Or is that the wrong Term) for Titanic. I personally think the place where a ship is built should be recognised. But then again, if that were the case nowerdays, You'd be seeing the Chinese/Japanese flag flying all over the place ::)

And yes, thats what's I meant about if the Irish flag were reversed! :doh:

But, about your idea for all the flags.....Titanic is already a very heavy model, thats why you never see any MP servers have it. (Or not many, anyway). Already, Titanic has a reputation for making peoples games very laggy, or slow. So adding more and more to it wouldn't help. Also, Why should V-STEP focus on just one ship...?

Why not be happy with Titanic, as it is? :)

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 19:37:06 »

Hi Jack,
Not wishing in any way to bring politics into it, but Belfast was part of the UK when Titanic was built there and it still is.

P.S. Did you get my joke Email?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 19:39:13 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 19:50:55 »

I know, Fred. On the MoSCoW Method scale, it ranks as "Would be nice," (Dang it, Terry, that's not what the W stands for!) "Won't have," especially since having such flags disappear like lights would require expending at least part of Vstep's 30 employees.

But you bring up a good point on the flag lines! I almost forgot about how you can have up to 4 flags flying off any given ship. I wish morse lamps and communication flags were to trickle down to SS Pro ;D

Uh... is that possible? Or are the games to game-oriented for that?

And Traddles, that was my mistake for not reading my own rigging well enough ;D I am guessing that it was for eastbound trips. There was, in fact, a UK flag that could be flown from the mainmast. When I typed that up, it was assuming that Ship Sim had no way of telling a difference between inbound and outbound at a harbor.

Also, Jack, Ireland didn't construct Titanic. Even today, Belfast is in Norther Ireland, part of the UK. The Republic of Ireland wasn't sovereign in 1912 and as such had no courtesy flag.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 19:58:44 by RMS Gigantic »

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 20:16:31 »

50  stars

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 20:19:20 »

50  stars
From July 4th, 1908 to July 4th,1912 there were 46 stars on the US flag.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 20:23:43 »

Depends on how you look at it, I reckon. The game is basically set in present day.. But you can 'imagine' to be in 1912 if you pick an open sea environment I guess.

So you're both right.  :thumbs:

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2009, 20:26:25 »

I figure, "How did a 1912 ship somehow get a 1960+ flag added to its flag locker?"

Anyway, Fred, as I asked before, how likely would it be for morse lamps and signal flags to trickle down into the game version of Ship Simulator?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 20:33:13 »

Yeah, I know what you mean. I reckon you look at it from a 1912 standpoint.
Myself, I usually think of it as a replica, sailing in modern times. Something like that.

As for your question..

Well as I also said before, there's nothing I can say to satisfy your curiosity, unfortunatly.  You'll have to wait and see what new features will be announced by Vstep.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 21:00:21 »

Would a replica not recreate the historic flags as well? ;)

Anyway, the topic was originally why the flags are so mapping error prone. Now that I think about it, does Ship Simulator Pro 2.0 suffer from this as well on its message flags?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2009, 21:14:57 »

Well.. depends.. I would expect a modern flag, so as not to offend the states whose star is missing..   :doh:

And ...No it doesn't suffer.

no idea what the status is, I haven't checked them... but I bet the sim feels fine..   ;D

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2009, 21:43:44 »

Actually, Fred, law states that all official US flags never go obsolete, so the 46-star flag is still fully legal to fly, and still represents the whole United States.

And the flags always load 100% right in SS Pro 2.0? I wonder what their secret is....

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2009, 21:50:49 »

Actually, Fred, law states that all official US flags never go obsolete, so the 46-star flag is still fully legal to fly, and still represents the whole United States.

And the flags always load 100% right in SS Pro 2.0? I wonder what their secret is....

£2000 maybe...

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2009, 23:31:42 »

Who said anything about it being right or wrong..

I just said there was no suffering involved..  :doh:

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 00:43:25 »

Does the game metaphorically suffer from flag problems, though?

I am trying to figure out what causes this issue.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 02:20:59 »

I'm not going to discuss pro matters here, I thought I was clear.  :doh:

You don't have to 'figure it out', cause you haven't got enough background info to figure it out in the first place. plus..

It's a bug.. highly unlikely it will ever change.. there is not going to be another patch..  you can only live with it.

Fred

matt5674

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2009, 03:39:44 »

Can we get back on Topic? ;)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2009, 03:56:07 »

We never strayed off it in those last few posts! The topic was figuring out what caused the bug, which Fred just solved with a big, "I don't know and neither does anyone else!"

My guess had been that a flat rectangle tends to have all kinds of mapping bugs because its symmetry lets the texture fit on in all kinds of directions and ways, upside-down being especially easy.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2009, 10:11:06 »

Also, Jack, Ireland didn't construct Titanic. Even today, Belfast is in Norther Ireland, part of the UK. The Republic of Ireland wasn't sovereign in 1912 and as such had no courtesy flag.

Oh Trust me, I know all about that...I'm Irish, you don't have to tell me that...No offence, but I do know what my own countries status is...

I won't get political over it...just leave it at that. :-X

Jack.
p.s. And yes I did get your E-Mail Traddles :lol:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:20:15 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2009, 13:09:29 »

Oh Trust me, I know all about that...I'm Irish, you don't have to tell me that...No offence, but I do know what my own countries status is...
Sorry. It seemed to me at the time you were referring to the Republic of Ireland, not the island of Ireland. Belfast gets a TON of recognition for building Titanic, especially on the ship's 100 year anniversary of construction.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2009, 13:40:57 »

Sorry. It seemed to me at the time you were referring to the Republic of Ireland, not the island of Ireland. Belfast gets a TON of recognition for building Titanic, especially on the ship's 100 year anniversary of construction.

When I say Ireland, I do mean it generally, Ireland, and Northern. To me it's Ireland :lol:

I hope so, it would be nice to see something happening in Belfast on her Hundreth.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2009, 15:26:12 »

We never strayed off it in those last few posts! The topic was figuring out what caused the bug, which Fred just solved with a big, "I don't know and neither does anyone else!"

My guess had been that a flat rectangle tends to have all kinds of mapping bugs because its symmetry lets the texture fit on in all kinds of directions and ways, upside-down being especially easy.

Who says no one knows?  You seem to have taken a fancy to stating your own weird opinions about stuff as factual evidence of late.  :doh:

No offence, but you use words that are related to the work involved in creating the stuff, but you probably have no clue HOW it actually works, I think. Symmetry of flat rectangular shapes causing mapping bugs? So no game can really have any flat rectangles with texture, for fear of getting mapping bugs..?

Does that also make it fall off in some cases, as we have all seen, or even make it dissapear alltogether?  or would that suggest maybe we should look to the module that actually attaches the flag to the ship's model and not the texture as such? I'm just logically speculating.  ;)

My educated guess: it's in the 'attaching' part, not the texture mapping. And as there is not going to be a new patch, this known bug is something you will have to live with.  :-\

Case closed.

Figuring out something is nice.. but if you haven't really got a clue, all you do is give people wrong ideas..  :-\

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2009, 15:28:34 »

What a hot discussion about one tiny flag!
keep it gnarly

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2009, 15:35:05 »

Hot? How is it a hot discussion?

I'm just counter balancing, that's all.  ;D

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines