Hello Guest April 20, 2024, 06:11:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: I might construct a computer.  (Read 43967 times)

firestar12

I might construct a computer.
« on: August 03, 2009, 22:47:59 »

Hi guys, I am going to get a new PC, (One that can handle shipsim) and this time I want to build it to save money. Does anyone here know if it is cheaper to make one or buy one?

llamalord

• Forum member
Re: I might construct a computer.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 23:38:03 »

If you need any help, I have never bought a computer that was fully assembled! ;D
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

capn_cal

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 23:41:18 »

if you did build one that would be amazing!  :o
i don't know what to say on here so i'm typing what i'm typing now because i can't think of what else to type

firestar12

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 00:06:28 »

Ok, llamalord, you might be of great use to me. Do you know what is more expensive? To build or to buy? Also, do you have any tips from experience?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 00:32:10 »

Hey Shane,

As I said the other day when we discussed it aswell..  :P  ..it's cheaper to build one with the parts your really want, then to buy a standard package and turn that into the machine you want.. (These packs never seem quite right when I look at them).   ;D

But of course, prices vary, even for the same components. So a good computer store, that you know and trust, and that has fair prices, can probably assemble what you want, from parts they order for you, to end up with the perfect machine for you. And you can probably do some of the assembly yourself, to save money, if they charge for the build. But if you are not experienced with that, it's best to let the expert do it for you.

That's what I always do (though I do build them myself(, and I get more bang for my buck if I compare it to the all-in-one solutions that these stores offer as fixed packages.

Fred.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 00:33:48 by Mad_Fred »

firestar12

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 00:33:23 »

What about ebay? ;D

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 00:35:00 »

Well.. I dunno.. if you have the money and you want a decent machine so you can run all the stuff you want, and some of the stuff that is yet to come.. then maybe a new machine is better..

I haven't had good experiences with second hand.. but that just might me being unlucky..

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 00:44:01 »

for the most part its cheaper to build one, but i DO NOT reccomend this to anyone who isn't really good with computers. There is alot that goes into building them, you have to know all the parts you need and you have to make sure all the parts will work with each other ;) If you do go through with it let me know i'm quite handy with comptuers and starting this school year and next year i'll be taking a computer repair class so i should be quite helpful :D

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 01:22:00 »

I can help too, I've made some hardware reviews and I love hardware/overclock  ;D

If you know enough to assemble an entire computer, you just need to know the best parts for the money that you have. It's not that hard, but you need to know what you are doing ;)

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 14:08:05 »

I can help my PC is being built as we speak should be finished later ill post the dxdiag so I can make sure it works :P Anyways it is cheaper to build and it is better...thatway you can have what you want in in also ebay I would not really buy electronics from especially computers because you dont really know what your getting...I just pain 600$ Canadian for a custom buit lt PC with an INtel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz Processor a Graphics card with 1gb of memory a 500GB harddrive and I forget the FBS and 4 GB of ram running XP...heres some advise look around for the computer shops in your area NOT bestbuy or future shop like individual stores because they know what theyre doing and they usually have cheaper prices...and if you find anything less they will usually match it :2thumbs: Good Luck!!!!!
Matt

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 15:19:51 »

I tend to agree with Fred, go to a good computer store and tell them what you want installed..
Things to keep in mind: a good processor, a good video card, enough RAM.. :)

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 15:57:04 »

Also you want a fairly higher FBS  :thumbs: And another thing to keep in mind if you can find XP anywhere its better than vista...less demanding :thumbs:
Also it is better to let the store assemble it for you because if you plug it in and turn it on after you built it and you fry the motherboard you wont be a happy camper...but if they build it and it fries then you get it fixed for free so keep that in mind ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 16:01:16 by Capt. Matt »

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 16:06:05 »

Windows 7 is on the way.. :)

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 16:15:15 »

Building a computer must not be attempted by those who have no idea what to do!

I have built many computers for both customers and family and some of the problems you face might be more trouble than it is worth. I'm not trying to put you off, but make sure you have at least a small clue about what to do.

It is often cheaper to build a computer yourself, but remember this - when you buy a computer already built, it is working. Build it yourself and it might or might not work. The difference being that at least if you buy from a company you know it will work ;)

Anyway, if you need any help Shane just ask ;)  You know I'm pretty good with computers :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 17:08:07 »

My father has a computer built for him by a computer store in my town.
All ahead full!

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 18:02:20 »

Yes Pete I was going to wait for windows 7 but I became inpatient but I could always upgrade as my new PC is able to run Vista if XP became obsolete...lets not think of a world full of vista just yet :P

Thanks TJK!

firestar12

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 01:20:30 »

Yes Pete I was going to wait for windows 7 but I became inpatient but I could always upgrade as my new PC is able to run Vista if XP became obsolete...lets not think of a world full of vista just yet :P
I know not to use Vista, it is a piece of garbage. I might do windows seven or XP.

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 01:29:58 »

I put XP on my new one and news I FINALLY GOT MY NEW CUSTOM BUILT PC YAY!!!!!!!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Thanks TJK!

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 01:33:26 »

windows 7 is not released its still being developed so all there is, is vista as XP was taken off the market, and matt, i doubt you can offer any help if you just got a custom built PC and you didn't build it yourself :doh:  Firestar, if you dont know what you're doing with computers i reccomend you visit this site http://www.ibuypower.com/ they offer custom built PCs without the frustration of building it yourself ;)

firestar12

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 01:35:09 »

I want to build mine myself, a shop doing it just doesn't really mean you 'built' it. Also Matt, what was that "FBS" you were talking about? And MC, I know computers very well.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 01:44:47 »

ok, good luck then ;) i say i know computers very well (which i do) but if i were to build a computer i'd probally just hardly make it :P its not easy as Captain spencer said, theres alot of research involved with making sure all the components will work with each other. ;)

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 01:49:22 »

I want to build mine myself, a shop doing it just doesn't really mean you 'built' it. Also Matt, what was that "FBS" you were talking about? And MC, I know computers very well.

FSB - Front Side Bus - basically it is the data transfer between the processor and the northbridge. The better the FSB, the faster the processor will run if the correct multiplier is used.

Shane, don't forget that google is worth knowing :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 03:51:30 »

windows 7 is not released its still being developed so all there is, is vista as XP was taken off the market, and matt, i doubt you can offer any help if you just got a custom built PC and you didn't build it yourself :doh:  Firestar, if you dont know what you're doing with computers i reccomend you visit this site http://www.ibuypower.com/ they offer custom built PCs without the frustration of building it yourself ;)

Windows 7 is no longer under development, the RTM was finally released.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 11:12:59 »

Sorry to jump in the deep end but....

Don't get me wrong, I'm no computer expert, but the fact electricity is involved is rather dangerous - You really need to know what you are doing, Shane. I wouldn't even think about working on my computer, let alone build one. Not until I have good experience.

If I were you, I'd have someone build one for you, at the specs you want. It's usually cheaper, and you can get a good PC. Just make sure you get a gaurantee with it.

That's just my advice.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 12:31:26 »

and matt, i doubt you can offer any help if you just got a custom built PC and you didn't build it yourself :doh:    
My uncle did  :)

Thanks TJK!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines