Hello Guest May 01, 2024, 13:27:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boating Licencse  (Read 3236 times)

UUUUUHHHHHH

• Forum member
Boating Licencse
« on: July 22, 2007, 18:27:16 »

Hi. I was wondering what the requirements were for a boating license in the U.S. or specifically, California. Is it even required, because I researched and all it said was that the California Boating License ensures safer waterways (nothing about it being required to operate a boat)?

:P ???
Ich hasse dich.

Cloud

• Forum member
Re: Boating Licencse
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 01:38:55 »

Hi,

Pardon my Cynicism...but if you are talking strictly pleasure boating....In the US if you've got a heartbeat and got the money to buy/rent a boat, you're set.

Larse
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:59:25 by Cloud »

UUUUUHHHHHH

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 07:16:50 »

ok so i was right. And you have to be 16 or older to operate a boat and 12-15 if theres a 16and up person on the boat. Right?
Ich hasse dich.

cpt.Young

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 21:55:02 »

thats about right ;)
as the person

UUUUUHHHHHH

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 19:50:35 »

but dont u have to learn somehow how to operate the boat and the rules of navigation and such?
Ich hasse dich.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 20:23:10 »

Greetings,
In Belgium,there are now rules to.
If the vessel is under 12 meter,and does not run faster than 20 Km/H,you still dont need a licence.
If it's bigger than 12 meter,than you need a licence.
A speedboatowner need allways a licence,however the boat is most of the times smaller than 12 meter,but it goes faster than 20 Km/H.
I'm pro,for the licence,but here in Belgium they dont make a difference between the vessels.Example:Even when you buy here a small speedboat,you still have to learn to navigate in open seas.This means the whole stuff,with breton-plotter,and GPS.Which is most of the time not even onboard this kind of vessel.
I realy can understand that a owner of a real sail-boat,should do this stuff,because they want to cross the Northsea,when they have enough practice.
Also,the lessons are very expensive to follow,and the exams,well you have to pay them separate.
They should work on a system,that catagorise these different vessels,like they do with cars and trucks.
Now we have,some kind of wildgrow of (schools)or cources,all around the country.
So if you have passed all the tests,you can start to give lessons to.
I've seen prices of 250 euro,and more just for the course,and 50 euro and more for the exams.
Lucky for me,i've got my coastal-navigation to.So i dont have to follow these expensive lessons anymore.
Regards
Marc
N

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 23:27:48 »

In the US there are no requirements, though some states are proposing a few, unless you want to carry passengers for hire or operate a commercial boat over a certain size.  For those purposes there ARE courses, but you don't ahve to take them, just pass the exam.  There is also the kind of experience requirement Eemspoort talks about.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com

UUUUUHHHHHH

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 11:21:41 »

but like i said before, dont u need to know how to operate the boat and the rules of navigation and such? Even for a private boat (for example a yacht) you still need to know the rules of navigation, dont you?
Ich hasse dich.

Gertjan

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 17:19:22 »

Here the rule is that you must have boating license 1 if you have a boat that is larger then 15 meters and or goes faster then 20km/p hour.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 23:05:33 »

Here in GB if it's below X size (weight/length/whatever) and for non commercial use you can take it to sea without restrictions.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 23:07:35 »

Hmmm....better not let me near a boat then ;)

Dangerous times are VERY likely :P
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 23:09:55 »

Remember the song: "...for those in peril on the sea..."?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 23:11:02 »

LOL, DJMissile :P

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 23:12:13 »

What happened? I think I just deleted my own post?   :o

What words of extraordinary wisdom has civilisation just lost?

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 23:13:40 »

What words of extraordinary wisdom has civilisation just lost?

Maybe it could be reclassified as Spam :P

Only joking ;)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 23:16:52 »

Spam? Deleted spam maybe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines